PDA

View Full Version : Survivor Mando

Michael H Geimer
Jul-05-2006, 2:00pm
I just returned from The Best Camping Trip Ever. My girlfriend, my dog, and myself spent five days in California's Inyo Nat'l Forest. I took along the Mid-mo M-0 for entertainment.

The Setting:
- Here's my sweetie Reneé at Mono Lake. You can see the Eastern Sierras high in the background. We camped in the high desert for a day, then ascended upwards into all that snow and rock for most of the weekend.

Michael H Geimer
Jul-05-2006, 2:03pm
Here's our desert campsite. We were only a few steps from one of the Long Valley's natural hot springs. The tubs are maintained by locals, and are popular with climbers. They can be difficult to find, as the dirt roads are not marked, and meander endlessly along through the sagebrush. We found two tubs that day, and enjoyed some good soaks.

Mid-mo in action.

Tom C
Jul-05-2006, 2:05pm
Very cool. Looks like you need the Binford-2000 tent next time http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Michael H Geimer
Jul-05-2006, 2:09pm
Before hiking up into the mountains, I had to figure a way to secure the Mid-mo to my pack. My solution involved a bandana, since that would keep the instrument away from the compression straps that cinched down most of my load.

You can't really see the shoelace that holds up the neck. It's tied to the tuning posts the way you see done in the stores. The resulting loop is attached up top of the pack.

Total Weight > 35lbs.

Michael H Geimer
Jul-05-2006, 2:11pm
" Looks like you need the Binford-2000 tent next time. "

Pshaw! My MountainHardwear tent is awesome! 6lbs. All season. Fits me, she, and the dog.

Plus, my best friend from 3rd grade works there, so I get the 'hookup'.

Michael H Geimer
Jul-05-2006, 2:15pm
OK. Here's the shoelace in action. I only hung the Mid-mo if I was around. Otherwise, I'd find a wind-sheltered, shaded spot within the trees and left it there on our day hikes. The tent was getting too hot in the high-altitude sun.

Michael H Geimer
Jul-05-2006, 2:18pm
Perhaps this should go in the 'Mandolin with your Dog' thread. Here's Monty and I at 10,500'.

Michael H Geimer
Jul-05-2006, 2:24pm
OK ... last one. The view from our campsite ... The Best Campsite Ever!

Conclusion:
- Instruments like the same temp and humidity ranges that we people like. So, take your mandolin anywhere, everywhere you go.

- Benig

Complete Online Photo Album (http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLandingSignin.jsp?Uc=aebe3ex.u9tjigd&Uy=-6n1vny&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&Ux=0)

luckylarue
Jul-05-2006, 4:06pm
Great pics! Nice to still see snow this late - we had none this year. Good idea w/ the bandana - makes me think of back-country ski packs that have the shovel-holder. Maybe they make a shovel-holder accessory that'll fit any pack. It's good to get "wild" when you can - especially w/ the Mid-Mo. Next trip, the Mid-Mo will definitely join the "to pack" list. And we all know Wild Country makes the best tents!

Michael H Geimer
Jul-05-2006, 4:20pm
"Nice to still see snow this late - we had none this year."

The Sierra snow pack is well over 200% of normal this year! Off the charts.

Our intended destination (Duck Lake) was unapproachable because of the snow. A group of four fishermen made it past the lake, but commented to me the route was 'sketchy' at parts. I walked the trail a few years ago in late season and even then thought parts of it were rather exposed ... steep scree fields sliding directly down into the freezing water. *Maybe* I would have gone across that stretch on this trip if I had crampons or an ice axe ... but I didn't.

FWIW: Our snow shovel was mostly used as a make-shift sled for glissades! WoooHooooo!

pickinNgrinnin
Jul-05-2006, 5:52pm
OK, that is VERY cool. Great shots in the photo album. A camping trip with a good woman (someone who likes to camp and will put up with Mando picking is good in my book)a good dog that carries his weight, good equipment and spectacular scenery. How can it get any better? Maybe catching a few trout? Was that a Bristlecone Pine? Sierra Nevada Ale in the Sierra's? Most appropriate.

Great idea for transporting the Mando!

Missing the mountains here in the hot flatlands of Kansas.

Michael H Geimer
Jul-05-2006, 6:33pm
It does not get any better than this. The best part?

Renee sings along with me and my mandolin. She hopes the two of us will still be singing together when we get older ... just like Norman and Nancy.

Life is sweet.

Oooops ... time to go mail back the Bear Can I forgot I still had!

stevem
Jul-05-2006, 8:53pm
Great pictures! As a recent transplant from Colo. to Cali., it makes my heart jump to see such beautiful peaks in this neck of the woods. Oh, and go Midmo!

Keith Erickson
Jul-07-2006, 8:25am
Michael,

Great Pics'!!! It's lóóks like you had lot's of fun http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

There is nothing better than mountain peaks and mandolins in the same pic.

Celtic Saguaro
Jul-07-2006, 9:49am
Hey, we passed each other! I drove past Mono Lake on the way home from a week at Lake Tahoe late last week. I'd stopped at Mono Lake during the week before. I wasn't camping so I had my Petersen OM and also my Fender mandolin for a knock-about.

otterly2k
Jul-07-2006, 10:59am
Benig--- I DO hope you've shared your adventures and pics with the folks at Mid-Mo.

A-3
Jul-07-2006, 11:42am
Awesome !!!

What breed(s) of dog is that?
Is the red&black thing on him a jacket against the cold?

Do you use the Mid-Mo vs a Weber SweatPea because it has a much fuller sound?

Thanks

Michael H Geimer
Jul-07-2006, 12:36pm
Awesome, indeed! (It's tough to be back inside a cube).

Monty is a Stumpy Tail Cattle Dog.

His first camping trip was a snow shoeing event ... the poor guy 'bonked' and got quite a chill. So now he's geared-up with geek clothes just like Renee and I are. He's got a pack, a fleece vest, and booties for his paws.

Plate-o-Shrimp: One the adoption volunteers from where we found Monty happened to be at the same trailhead that day, and recognized him! Small world. We were hundreds of miles away from home.

Why a Mid-mo? Because they're awesome. I bought that M-0 as a beater to take on a plane/road-trip to NC last fall. Now I take it everywhere.

My Weber definitely sounds fuller than the Mid-mo ... of course, #that's because it's a Bitterroot! (even that one goes camping sometimes, too)

Celtic Saguaro,
We may have literally passed each other. I was around the Mono area all day last Friday.

Otterly ... thanks for the reminder that I wanted to send this out to Mike Dulak at Mid-mo ... and I just now did.