PDA

View Full Version : for all you jethro fans!

cooper4205
Jul-04-2006, 11:54pm
check out this "city of new orleans" clip with jethro and steve goodman. goodman has a smile a mile wide the whole time, you can tell he is in awe of the master and having the time of his life http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv1GK9jKZTg

AlanN
Jul-05-2006, 6:06am
Thanks for that. I saw G/J twice in the 70's, Steve would feature Jethro with a solo spot, then come out for his songs. Magical.

kyblue
Jul-05-2006, 8:52am
Awesome clip. Heck of a song, great singer, the only thing I missed is the famous Jethro 2 pt.

Paula

John Flynn
Jul-05-2006, 9:07am
A dissenting opinion here. I think Goodman does not do that great song justice due to his simplistic, rushed phrasing. Those lyrics are just dripping with irony and pathos, but he steps all over that singing it too fast and "straight up." A side by side with the Arlo Guthrie version will prove my point.

Also, while Burn's virtuosity is obvious, I think he is showing off here and it does not add to the performance. I think he runs over Goodman's already weak vocals with his overbearing rhythm playing and his lead is a complete departure from the intended mood of the song.

BTW, The other clip on the same page, with John Prine, Goodman and Burns is much better as a musical performance.

johnparrott
Jul-05-2006, 11:09am
It's terrific to see those performances appear on the web...YouTube is quite a marvel, and I hope that more of Jethro and Steve shows up soon.

Those two enjoyed each other so much;they had way too much fun for such a short span of years.

Fans of Homer and Jethro should check out the other videos someone has kindly posted on YouTube. I don't know much about mandolin, but if you love great rhythm guitar,there's some footage of Homer's playing that will have you sprinkling Miracle Gro on your thumb.

John

Tom Smart
Jul-05-2006, 11:47am
A dissenting opinion here. I think Goodman does not do that great song justice due to his simplistic, rushed phrasing. Those lyrics are just dripping with irony and pathos, but he steps all over that singing it too fast and "straight up." A side by side with the Arlo Guthrie version will prove my point.
Um, you're aware that Steve Goodman wrote the song, right? Arlo did a great cover of it, but the lyrics dripping with irony and pathos (not to mention the great tune) were Goodman's creation.

Mike Crocker
Jul-05-2006, 11:50am
Better than most mere mortals could dream to do, but Mr. Burns could have done that in his sleep and Goodman does seen a little star-struck, or at least it could be interpreted that way. It's a great tune (and I'm not American), and anything Burns did awake or asleep has alot to do with the current high state of mandolin styles.

When the best are coasting and the rest of us are sprinting to catch up, it only means the best are so effortless when they're brilliant. Burns was a genius.

Thanks for that!

Peace, Mooh.

kyblue
Jul-05-2006, 12:08pm
I think this is one song that can stand solely on the lyrics. It doesn't need a singer trying to 'add' pathos or whatever.

Paula

AlanN
Jul-05-2006, 12:15pm
I have a tape somewhere of Jethro, Don Stiernberg, Neil Seroka doing "The Lady Is A Tramp". Fantastic solos by all, particulary Don, but the intro where Jethro mentions with total love his partnership with Steve Goodman is very moving. He says that his time with Goodman was more special than his Homer and Jethro days, which is saying a lot.

AlanN
Jul-05-2006, 12:34pm
It's terrific to see those performances appear on the web...YouTube is quite a marvel, and I hope that more of Jethro and Steve shows up soon.

Those two enjoyed each other so much;they had way too much fun for such a short span of years.

Fans of Homer and Jethro should check out the other videos someone has kindly posted on YouTube. I don't know much about mandolin, but if you love great rhythm guitar,there's some footage of Homer's playing that will have you sprinkling Miracle Gro on your thumb.

John
Hi John,

Speaking of those short videos, during I'm Walking Behind You, Homer points out and glances at his index finger at one point, makes Jethro turn his head while he's singing. What was he doing?

Nathan Sanders
Jul-05-2006, 12:38pm
Great video!

JGWoods
Jul-05-2006, 12:55pm
OK- I admit it- I'm really not that much of a Jethro fan...and I own a Rigel Jethro.

John Flynn
Jul-05-2006, 2:43pm
Um, you're aware that Steve Goodman wrote the song, right? Arlo did a great cover of it, but the lyrics dripping with irony and pathos (not to mention the great tune) were Goodman's creation.
No, I was not aware of that, but I think that makes it even more of a shame that it was his own tune he rushed through. BTW, I think the covers of that tune by Johnny Cash, Pete Seeger and even the one by John Denver are better. JMHO.

John Rosett
Jul-05-2006, 4:37pm
No, I was not aware of that, but I think that makes it even more of a shame that it was his own tune he rushed through. BTW, I think the covers of that tune by Johnny Cash, Pete Seeger and even the one by John Denver are better. JMHO.
GOOD GOD MAN! WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO YOUR SOUL?!?!?
(sorry, that just came out-i couldn't help it)
maybe steve goodman is an aquired taste. i've been listening to him for years, and one of the things that i love about him is his willingness to play with a song like he does on that video. watching that video really put a smile on my face. one of my favorite goodman albums, "somebody else's troubles" was released on cd a couple of years ago. it's a good place to start an appreciation of steve goodman.
again, mj, i'm sorry about the shouting-you brought out the baptist in me....

MDW
Jul-05-2006, 4:55pm
Also, while Burn's virtuosity is obvious, I think he is showing off here and it does not add to the performance. I think he runs over Goodman's already weak vocals with his overbearing rhythm playing and his lead is a complete departure from the intended mood of the song.

Jeez, I had just the opposite reaction. I thought Burn's rhythm playing was interesting and did a good job of supporting the vocals and that Burn's did an admirable job of playing the "sideman" role when he's used to being the star of the show.

John Flynn
Jul-05-2006, 4:55pm
again, mj, i'm sorry about the shouting-you brought out the baptist in me....

No problem. I'm glad you like the guy. Maybe I will check out some of his stuff. My post was just an honest reaction to the video clip and I stand behind it.

What I have found out about Goodman online is that he was obviously a great songwriter, but did not enjoy as much success as a performer or recording artist. It would seem to support my original point that he was never as successful with his own tunes as other people were.

BTW, I thought Baptists didn't like music because it can lead to dancing. # #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif #Just kidding...

cooper4205
Jul-05-2006, 6:23pm
was that during jethro's epiphone or washburn years? i thought y'all would like that clip. it stood out to me because they seem to be having such genuine fun.

John Flynn
Jul-05-2006, 6:50pm
Thanks for posting the clip. My critique of the performance notwithstanding, I found it interesting and I am glad I got to see it.

BTW, to the point of your signature line, I think cowbell would have been just the thing that would have rounded out that performance!

cooper4205
Jul-05-2006, 6:54pm
i know...you gotta have that cowbell in there, give it some blue oyster flavor!

Tom Smart
Jul-05-2006, 7:02pm
What I have found out about Goodman online is that he was obviously a great songwriter, but did not enjoy as much success as a performer or recording artist. It would seem to support my original point that he was never as successful with his own tunes as other people were.
Kind of like Irving Berlin, Burt Bacharach, Hoagy Carmichael, Ira Gershwin, Carol King... I could go on.

Credit where credit is due. Not too many people on the planet can come up to the performance standards of Johnny Cash, Pete Seeger or John Denver. Or even Arlo Guthrie, for that matter. But without Steve Goodman, the song wouldn't have existed.

Our culture seems to value perfomers over other kinds of artists. Everyone wonders who'll win best actor or actress, or who'll win a grammy, but hardly anyone remembers the people who created the words (and tunes) that made their performances possible in the first place.

I also happen to think Steve Goodman was a fine performer, for what it's worth. Rest his soul (and Jethro's).

AlanN
Jul-05-2006, 7:22pm
Steve was just an average joe, kind of like John Prine, maybe Prine has more twang. Possessed of an average voice, average to good guitar skills, he definitely was a fine songwriter with charisma. And he was respected by musicians and writers alike. Plus he helped introduce The Legendary One to a whole new crowd.

Brad Weiss
Jul-05-2006, 7:32pm
As an old Cubs fan, all I can say about Steve Goodman is, from Wilmette to Gary, there's nothing so scary! #Somebody might get that... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif

cooper4205
Jul-05-2006, 9:04pm
"Well, a good friend of mine named steve goodman wrote this song. He told me it was the perfect country-western song..." http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Strange1
Jul-06-2006, 3:16am
My fav mando picker. great job. Now I get to tell you about my association with Homer and Jethro. It was a one time thing and only encompassed a coupla hrs. Nope, didn't get to pick with them. They were playing at the Clay Co Illinois fair many many yrs ago and they had bus trouble but made it to the fair and as they were staring at the motor I wandered by and being a mechanic of sorts I inquired if they needed help. They said yes and I saw what was the immed prob. Oil all over the distributor and saturated spark plug wires. There was a cracked hose that caused it. H and J went with me to the ford dealer to pick up parts. The owner knew me and offered that the parts manager wasn't there cause he had gone to the fair to listen to Homer and Jethro, but he would get us the parts. Jethro told him that going to see H and J was a waste of time cause they were terrible. Jethro thought that was hilarious and laughed all the way back to the fair grounds. Anyway we got the parts and I fixed the bus and wouldn't take any money but they thanked me over the mic and it made me feel great. btw I wasn't playing the mandolin back then but that inspired me to learn (and some day I will http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif) That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Jack

Strange1
Jul-06-2006, 3:20am
btw, what do you think of the Willie Nelson's cover of the City of NO? That is one of fav songs as the C of NO ran thru the farming neighborhood I was born and raised in.

Jack

AlanN
Jul-06-2006, 4:53am
Cool story. I'm surprised J didn't say over the mic "Some guy hosed me."

Gibson A5
Jul-06-2006, 11:48am
Here's another clip from the same show. With a little more mando playing.
Bill P.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....urns%20 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y5yHxG7KyI&search=Jethro%20Burns%20)

arlo_k
Jul-06-2006, 12:21pm
was that during jethro's epiphone or washburn years? i thought y'all would like that clip. it stood out to me because they seem to be having such genuine fun.
That's Jethro's Epiphone MM-70. Looks just like mine - that's where any resemblance or association with the master stops!