PDA

View Full Version : Pruitt #4 In the White

Gibson A5
Jul-02-2006, 8:01pm
Well I got my #4 strung up in the white this afternoon. #I kick myself for making this one left handed, it sounds too good to be just strung up. #My others didn't sound quite this good the first afternoon. #Of cource all I can play upside down and backwards is two finger cords and some simple melodies. #I'll keep it this way for a week and fine tune it, then I'll stain and put some finish on it. I'll try to sell this one. #If I keep making right handed ones I'll keep all of them, That's why I decided to try building a lefty.
Bill Pruitt

Gibson A5
Jul-02-2006, 8:02pm
Another

Gibson A5
Jul-02-2006, 8:02pm
Another

Gibson A5
Jul-02-2006, 8:03pm
Another

Gibson A5
Jul-02-2006, 8:04pm
Last one for now.
Bill P.

Gibson A5
Jul-02-2006, 8:20pm
Yes it's all from scratch. I had to make the bridge backwards with the offsets and this drove me nuts. Before I made every cut on this thing I had to think if it was in the right direction for a lefty. Spruce top, maple back, sides and neck. Truss rod, dovetail neck joint.
Thanks,
Bill P.

Yonkle
Jul-03-2006, 1:08am
A beauty! I just started #6 (scratch) my back looks a lot like yours. Nice work Bill

ab4usa
Jul-03-2006, 6:24am
Bill when it's time to sell it keep me in mind!

DryBones
Jul-03-2006, 9:53am
or me! Arm wrestle you for it, Alan! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

ronlane3
Jul-03-2006, 9:56am
Very nice, I like the back.

Gibson A5
Jul-03-2006, 10:00am
Wow! Thanks for the complements. Maybe I should build more Lefties.
I was playing it in the living room last night and my wife from another room yelled to me asking if that was the new one I was playing. I said yes, how does it sound?
She said "It sounds much louder than the others". That's a complement from her, as she only thinks "guitars" sound good and it takes a full group of instruments to back up a mandolin to make it sound good!
Bill P.

Strange1
Jul-03-2006, 10:50am
I want one!!!!! Just what I need.... another LH inst that I can never sell.

Jack

Brier
Jul-04-2006, 11:29am
Bill,
Wow a lefty! Great job.
Peter.

DryBones
Jul-04-2006, 2:46pm
Wow! Thanks for the complements. #Maybe I should build more Lefties.
Bill,
To be honest I bet there is a reasonable market for good quality lefties out there. Most of the PacRim lefties are not configured correctly (bridge and/or nut) excluding the Eastmans I have seen but a true hand built one of a kind custom lefty built here in the good old U.S.of A. should find a buyer or two. Of course I am sure pricing may play a factor in all that as well. So tell me, what's it gonna cost me to have you build me a lefty F4?? # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Gibson A5
Jul-05-2006, 7:42am
Thanks all for the great interest. I am determined to build more leftys now. A lefty F4 sounds good to me. I might build one of those next and see if there is anyone is interested in buying it. I may become an exclusive Lefty builder. Though after I've built and sold 10 lefty style mandos, I'd have to go back to rightys because I'm sure there are no more than 10 lefty mando players in the world http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
Bill P.

DryBones
Jul-05-2006, 6:29pm
yeah but we all want an F hole and an oval hole both in the F and A style so now you have to build 40. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

DryBones
Jul-21-2006, 5:59pm
Bill,
The lefties here want to see more photos! Is it finished yet?

Gibson A5
Jul-22-2006, 4:37pm
No finish yet, it's still in the white. The lefty guy that was going to give me his comments when he trys it out, has been out of town till next week, so I have to wait till then. I have been doing banding and inlay on another righty I've built while I'm waiting. I'll start putting finish on the lefty some time next week. I'll post the pictures when I get it stained.
Thanks for the interest.
Bill P.

Kip Welty
Aug-06-2006, 9:00pm
very nice, i like it. i am a lefty, hard to find mando's. have any for sale ?

DryBones
Aug-06-2006, 9:22pm
get in line Kip.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Gibson A5
Aug-08-2006, 4:20pm
#4 just getting started with two coats of finish. One to seal so I could scrape the binding, then one after the binding scrape.
Bill P.

Gibson A5
Aug-08-2006, 4:22pm
The back.
Bill P.

Gibson A5
Aug-08-2006, 4:28pm
A little better shot of the back.
Bill P.

DryBones
Aug-08-2006, 6:08pm
lookin' good!

ab4usa
Aug-09-2006, 8:21am
looks real fine. Did your lefty buddy have any suggestions?

Gibson A5
Aug-09-2006, 1:07pm
Alan, I didn't really know him, I got in touch with him through a relative that knew him. I'm not trying to brag, but he thought it sounded fantastic and couldn't put it down. He is the lead "Guitar" player for the bluegrass/gospel group "Glory Bound". The only improvement suggestion he gave me was the color. He said he just had to have it and gave me the price I wanted. I got lucky I guess on the sound it's a real boomer with a great chop. I'll be making more to the same specs since this lefty turned out so good.
Thanks,
Bill P.

ab4usa
Aug-09-2006, 1:42pm
Well good for you. I do like the color. Let me know when the next lefty's on it's way.

DryBones
Aug-09-2006, 6:49pm
how about that lefty F4? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

B. T. Walker
Aug-09-2006, 6:55pm
Very nice.

Gibson A5
Aug-10-2006, 8:13am
Thanks all. A lefty F4 will be in the works, but I have decided to do another lefty F5 first since there is so much interest. I try to post better pictures of the back of this one when I have more finish on it, they looked ok on my computer, but when put on the board they expanded some how and blurred the back.
Bill P.

Gibson A5
Aug-21-2006, 4:10pm
It's ready to compound, buff, and wax. #It looks better then the picture. #I got to figure out how to make and post better pictures.
Bill P.

Kip Welty
Aug-21-2006, 4:58pm
how much do you sell your custom lefty's for ? i may have one built here in columbus by ray sparks. is there some things you suggest I ask ray before contracting with him ?

Gibson A5
Aug-21-2006, 6:23pm
kwelty, I PM you, go read your mail.
Thanks,
Bill P.

Gibson A5
Aug-31-2006, 9:00am
The completed Lefty with me holding it (gee, don't I look evil?).
Bill P.

Kip Welty
Aug-31-2006, 9:20am
looks great, how did the back turn out ?

Gibson A5
Aug-31-2006, 10:13am
Here's the back. A lot of reflections got in the picture.
Bill P.

Kip Welty
Aug-31-2006, 10:42am
Very nice, already sold ?

Gibson A5
Aug-31-2006, 11:29am
Kwelty, it was sold when in the white (because of the great sound it had). It's being picked up today.
Bill P.

Kip Welty
Aug-31-2006, 11:39am
silly me, i did not realize this was the same manolin. i thought the first pics was a blonde type on mandolin, now i get it. very nice.