PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin Strings for Gibson F-9

mandoforme
Jun-30-2006, 11:47am
I have been the proud owner of a 2003 Gibson F-9 mandolin for two days now. #The mandolin came set-up with a new set of GHS silk and bronze strings and it sounds great, but I wanted to get some input from other F-9 owners about the best sounding set of strings for an F-9. #

I have always been a fan of D'Addario J-74's. #The GHS silk and bronze seem to have a little brighter tone than the J-74's, but this F-9 still has a dry, woody tone, with that signature bluegrass chop. #Please give me your input on which strings have provided the best tone on your Gibson F-9. #Time for me to play the F-9 some more. #I love it, especially for $1,250 #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Lane Pryce
Jun-30-2006, 2:49pm
Hey Dan. My F9 loved J75's. Their tone was full bodied,dry and had that old timey ring. It was a good urn. Lp

Loren Bailey
Jun-30-2006, 3:48pm
I just put some Gibson SB Monels on my A9 and I love em.

Loren

steve in tampa
Jun-30-2006, 4:21pm
Gibson Sam Bush monels or TI Starks have worked well for me.

Greenmando
Jun-30-2006, 8:03pm
I love the J75's. That's the great thing about strings, so cheap to replace and to try a new set. Make sure to try out different picks with each set of strings as well. Personally I love the Dawg picks.

mandoforme
Jun-30-2006, 8:56pm
Thank you everyone for the input. #I will try the D'Addario J-75's and the Gibson Sam Bush Monels. #Greenmando, I love the Dawg picks too. #I have been using the Dawg picks for well over a year now, as I have not find another pick that I like better. #I have tried quite a few picks, including Pro-Plec, Tortis, and Wegen, but the Dawg picks have worked the best for me. #Thank you again for the input. #We have a great group of people here on the Cafe.

ronlane3
Jul-01-2006, 12:05am
TI's are all I put on my F-9. I have tried others, but to me the TI's stark are the best. I like the silk and steel on my Gibson Fern.

Professor PT
Jul-01-2006, 11:06am
J-74's sound great to me.