PDA

View Full Version : Girlyman -- Little Star

rhetoric
Jun-30-2006, 11:39am
Anybody heard these people? #I wanted to post this in one of the music sections but I can't tell where they fit. #It's a trio and mandolin isn't really featured, but it complements their music well. #Went to every CD store in town to find the record -- Indigo Girls label, I think. They are sorta folk, traditional, newgrass (barely), country (a hair). #

If you get the album, listen to "This is Me" last track. The acapella harmonies in the middle are just spectacular. #I've always been partial to trio harmonies.

otterly2k
Jun-30-2006, 11:53am
Oh yes... I've heard them... they are terrific! #They describe their music as "Delicious Acoustic Harmony-Driven Gender Pop" on their website (girlyman.com). #"Imagine the Indigo Girls got together with Paul Simon and created Peter, Paul and Mary - only sexier."

Anyway-- this is a gender-bending trio of very good musicians. #Their music is driven by vocal harmonies, they write their own material, and they also toss around a variety of instruments among them including guitar, banjo, mandolin, djembe (an African drum) and baritone guitar. #I would have to say of them that Nate (who plays the baritone guitar... a very interesting 5-string instrument) is the best frets player of the bunch. #But they do tasteful arrangments, in which mandolin figures from time to time, that highlight the songwriting. #They are fun performers, too.

I'd recommend their album Little Star to anyone, and their performances to the socially adventurous... not as much b/c of their performance as b/c of their fan base.

ps... if you have trouble finding their cd's locally, you can get them directly from the artists via their website.

PlayerOf8
Jul-03-2006, 5:32am
Imagine the Indigo Girls got together with Paul Simon and created Peter, Paul and Mary - only sexier."

"only sexier?" What's that all about?

x takes the square

RichM
Jul-03-2006, 3:03pm
I was fortunate enough to see Girlyman open for Dar Williams last year, and was impressed and entertained. I recently saw them again in a small club show, and they were even better in that environment. Great harmonies, terrific tunes, and a nice light fun-loving touch in performance. Highly recommended, and I imagine we'll be hearing a lot from them in the coming years.

otterly2k
Jul-03-2006, 10:36pm
Rich... I think you're right...and I had a similar experience when I saw them open for Ember Swift in Philly... they're fun, their writing is good, their harmonies are great.

player-- not sure who wrote that or exactly what they meant by it, I just pulled it out of some of their press. Hence the "" marks.