PDA

View Full Version : Statman's European tour

Dagger Gordon
Jun-30-2006, 1:21am
Andy's web site indicates an early summer European tour, details to be announced soon.

I imagine it might even have started by now, but frustratingly no dates are on the web site. An e-mail hasn't got a reply yet.

Anyone know any of the dates?

andy.bole
Jun-30-2006, 8:55am
Yeh i was wondering about this myself.

Palomorado
Jul-22-2006, 1:28pm
I speak to Andy regularly (benefit of living in NYC) and he still doesn't have all of the dates done. Did a brief trip to Poland about two weeks ago and is waiting to get the final info on the next trip out.

He is also waiting to find out what Larry Eagle's (drums) scehedule will be. Larry is playing in Bruce Springsteen's band so it's a pretty hard gig for him to turn down.

I'm going to speak to Andy tomorrow and will see if he has any updates.

Dagger Gordon
Aug-15-2006, 8:41am
Half way through August now.
I assume the 'early summer' European tour has been and gone, or perhaps never happened.

If you see Andy, please tell him that he does have fans outside of New York who would be keen to know his movements, so if he has any gigs maybe he can get someone to put them up on his web-site. What about the autumn tour of the Netherlands. There's a cheap flight from Edinburgh to Amsterdam, so it's easily possible for me, but I need to know.

I get the impression he has no interest in maintaining the site, but perhaps someone else might.

And when are we going to get 'East Flatbush Blues' released?
He's been tempting us long enough.

Frustration seems to be boiling over. I'd better go and listen to 'On air' and calm down!

kmmando
Aug-15-2006, 12:00pm
Perhaps the new regime at Celtic Connections might get him over, instead of some of the less appealing (to me) acts of recent years. We should lobby Donald Shaw, a fine fellow entirely, to have a mandolin stringy event for a change. I'd pay a lot to to hear Andy, perhaps supported by terrific homebased musicians like Luke Plumb, Kris Drever, Ewan McPherson etc. Why not?

KHJM

JEStanek
Aug-15-2006, 12:03pm
And when are we going to get 'East Flatbush Blues' released?
He's been tempting us long enough.
Please ask Andy about that too... I'm jonesing to get it!

Respectfully,
Jamie

Dagger Gordon
Sep-09-2006, 10:12am
A Google on Andy Statman Netherlands reveals that he's playing Amsterdam's Het Concertgebouw on Tuesday 28th Nov in the recital room.

swampstomper
Sep-25-2006, 6:52am
Andy Statman will also be in Utrecht, the Netherlands during his tour. This on Sat. 25 Nov. Information at RASA home page (http://www.rasa.nl), sorry it's in Dutch only. Follow the links Agenda > Maandagenda > November, find the date, then click on the link for concert info.

This is a smallish cultural music venue and less formal than the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam.

For non-Dutch speakers I suggest calling them directly at country code 31, then 30-2316040 (outside NL) or 030-2316040 (inside), I am sure all the box-office people speak English (and most likely German and French).

ald
Sep-25-2006, 11:51am
He was supposed to be playing in Antwerp, Belgium, in November, according to his website but when I e-mailed the theatre in question they said they knew nothing about it. I e-mailed Andy Statman's website, but haven't heard a dicky bird

Scott Tichenor
Sep-25-2006, 12:29pm
Andy's 2006 tour dates (http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_00440.shtml), posted 9/15.

swampstomper
Nov-21-2006, 8:44am
Hi, I am re-activating this topic to remind everyone within striking distance of the Netherlands that Andy Statman is playing this Saturday 25th in Utrecht at RASA (http://www.rasa.nl/), and then next Tuesday 28th at the Concergebouw in Amsterdam; here is the link to his concert (http://www.concertgebouw.nl/cgb/live/ConcertInfo.jsp?concert_id=11110). Neither web page mentions being sold out, so, get out and enjoy! I'll be in Utrecht.

SternART
Nov-21-2006, 10:39am
And then in San Francisco on Dec 3rd

swampstomper
Nov-27-2006, 8:30am
Well, I and my date were the only non-Dutch in the audience at Utrecht. He has the same trio that recorded East Flatbush Blues : Larry Eagle (percussion -- and I mean anything you can make rhythm with!) and Jim Whitney (5-string acoustic bass). He played almost 3 hours with only about a half hour intermission. How to describe -- well, you should just go see him. It was about 30% klezmer (clarinet) -- although a long way from what you will hear with traditional klezmer bands -- and 70% mandolin (the famous A2Z with all the finish gone from the treble side). A very interesting interplay of the three musicians. Statman is an amazing virtuouso and plays every song for ten to fifteen minutes with lots of improvisation (naturally). It took me about three choruses through Cherokee Shuffle (in D) to recognize it and then Turkey in the Straw (G) which after ten minutes the audience finally heard enough melody to figure out what it was -- I had got that one right away. Truly a genius with his own idea of how things should sound. The other mandolin tunes were his own compositions such as Sensitive Waltz from the CD. The klezmer pieces were traditional (from 1700s to 1950s as he announced) but with long "voorspielen" (improvised introductions).

In summary -- you will get your money's worth and plenty of musical inspiration if you see Andy on this tour.