PDA

View Full Version : Varnished Pomeroys

Kevin Briggs
Jun-29-2006, 4:11pm
Hiya, folks. I have a Pomeroy two-point on order that I am anticipating with great enthusiasm. You know the feeling.

Anyway, I am trying to decide which finish to order. Don assures me that he has the nitro finishes dialed in, in either high gloss or satin. I was goign to go with satin, for a little class. The only thing is, I'm not sure I want the satin look anymore.

I called Don about his oil varnish, and he spoke highly of it and how he enjoys applying it. It is also more eco-friendly, which is important to me. However, Don also explained he is on a learning curve with it, which is why it's only a $300 upgrade. He expressed that he wants his customers to know he has not perfected it yet, and that there will be some imperfections. He said the imperfections aren't obvious, but that he can see them, and someone looking closely can see them.

More and more, I'm thinking I'm going to go with the varnish anyway. I think I can accept some imperfections because it is an exceptionally reasonably priced, handmade mandolin. Don likes it for a good, hard, long-term finish. I like it because I think I'll get a little more tone out of it, and it's eco-friendly. Although, Don will not verify that it improves the tone.

Anybody out there have experiences to share regarding Pomeroy's with Don's oil varnish?

Thanks

sgarrity
Jun-29-2006, 4:25pm
Hey Kevin--

Too my knowledge, Don has only done 3-4 in varnish so far. The last of which was my F5. If you'd like to discuss this further, send me a PM.

Shaun

Lee
Jun-29-2006, 5:08pm
In comparison to nitro, is the varnish really "a good, hard, long-term finish".

Kevin Briggs
Jun-29-2006, 5:48pm
According to Don, the varnish is harder in the long run and is generally more durable. The flip side is, knicks and dings are much harder to repair.

dave waite
Jun-30-2006, 7:10pm
I was unsure of how the satin would look also, until I saw a Nugget. My Pomeroy has the satin nitro finish & I love it. I did read somewhere on the board that the satin will go away in areas that get rubbed much ( pinky dragging on right hand with no pick guard, forearm on lower bout etc.) I have'nt had mine long enough to verify or refute that. I would imagine that it would be easy enough to restore. Maybe someone can chime in on how the satin effect is achieved. My guess is 000 grade steel wool would do it, though I'm not about to try it. I have heard varnish vs. laquer debated for so long now that I doubt that it will ever be resolved, but I have heard great & terrible souning of both. Flip a coin, I don't think you will be unhappy with either as Don makes a great (and reasonably priced) mandolin.
Thanks,
Dave

Kevin Briggs
Jun-30-2006, 8:35pm
Dave,

Does your satin finish have any shine to it at all? Does it have any gleam?

The Bean Blossom satin finishes I saw looked like matte finishes to me. They looked dull.

dave waite
Jul-01-2006, 8:14pm
I would'nt describe it as dull. I would describe a flat latex paint as dull. I don't know the difference between matte & satin, but I think it resembles satin material in that it has a little sheen to it but you certainly can't see reflections in it. Sorry I can't put it into words very well. Sounds to me as if you are leaning torwards a gloss finish. I would ask Don if he can do the satin finish to it at a later date should you change your mind. I am pretty sure that it would be a simpler matter to go in that direction, than to make gloss from satin.