PDA

View Full Version : Rescue Mandolin

Jim Rowland
Jun-29-2006, 10:35am
Anyone out there have a young one who really wants to play mando but doesn't have one? I've accumulated too many mandos and have decided to sell some off,even though it's something I don't like to do. The instrument in question here is an IV I put together 9 or 10 months ago I think. Anyway,it was coming along ok until it slipped from a jury rigged drying hook,hit the concrete and cracked the top. I repaired and completed it,but the crack partially reappeared after a month or so. I took it down today and picked around on it. It sounds ok and the crack seems stable after hanging for months at full pitch. It is not salable,so rather than cannibalizing it for parts,I'll give it away. In case of multiple requests,I'll do the names in the hat thing and pick a name at random one week from today.
Jim

Lee
Jun-29-2006, 11:08am
Probably make a decent camping mando.

ustafiddle
Jun-29-2006, 11:17am
Hola,
I work with a woman that wants her 10 year old grandson to begin his musical education. I’ve been playing the fiddle for 17 years and have been picking on the mando for about three. I think that I can start him down the right road by learning to read standard notation and simple tunes but I don’t have one for him to play. My first from scratch F style model is in the white (plug for Orcas Island Tonewoods). So the one you have would go to a good home.
Cheers

mandohubris
Jun-29-2006, 10:27pm
I have a grandson named Caleb. I can't pry my mando out of his hands so it would be great for him to have one so we can learn to play together. His brother Noah, who is one, dances while Caleb plays. He'd dance while I play if I could get my mando back from Caleb. They laugh while I stomp.

bluebilly
Jun-30-2006, 8:29am
I have a boy that needs one for gospel music.

psann
Jun-30-2006, 9:24am
Pleae, Please, Please

I want this for Austin Barber. Austin is 11 and is coming home from the hospital today from a heart and double lung transplant. A truly amazing story. Only ten days ago he had this incredible surgery and is doing remarkably well. If any of you are in the Houston area you may have seen the segment on Fox news last night. He is an neat kid whom I have become quite attached to. He has been in an RV park in Houston the last few months as he awaited the availability of organs. He loves country music and this could be something to entertain him while he is recovering. He will be here for at least another three months while his anti rejection meds are adjusted. His Dad was talking about getting him a guitar. A mandolin and some "how to" material would be
such an awesome gift for him.

Pat Sann

hungry mountain boy
Jun-30-2006, 10:25am
I know a young boy about 10 years old named Isaac May. He is just learning and has a $60.00 mandolin, He won the "picker of the year" at the Festival OF The Bluegrass
In Lexington Ky" I don't know how to contact him, but I bet Tony of Tony's Barbecue Barn does, that is where we have a weekley jam session. 502-859-3030 If tony does not remember his name, its the little red haired boy that plays
the mandolin. The mother goes into the hospital a lot and
the dad used to be a pastor and now does construction work here
and there, so they don't have a lot of money. They are really excited about bluegrass music they have two other
boys that play, one plays guitar and the other plays fiddle,dobro, and banjo. My name is Glenn Hurley phone 502-696-9209 email ghurley@bluegrass.org I could try to
track em down if your interested in giving it to Isaac. Glenn

DryBones
Jun-30-2006, 4:42pm
please remove me from any drawing/list. There are more deserving kids on here that could really use it.

Keith Erickson
Jun-30-2006, 5:06pm
Pleae, Please, Please #

I want this for Austin Barber. # Austin is 11 and is coming home from the hospital today from a heart and double lung transplant. #A truly amazing story. # Only ten days ago he had this incredible surgery and is doing remarkably well. #If any of you are in the Houston area you may have seen the segment on Fox news last night. # He is an neat kid whom I have become quite attached to. # He has been in an RV park in Houston the last few months as he awaited the availability of #organs. #He loves # country music and this could be something to entertain him while he is recovering. #He will be here for at least another three months while his anti rejection meds are adjusted. # # His Dad was talking about getting him a guitar. # A mandolin and some "how to" material would be
such an awesome gift for him.

Pat Sann
Is this the young man from Lancaster County, Pa? I hope and pray that he makes it. Music always seems to be bringer of miracles.

Pat, I second that motion for Austin Barber. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

mandohubris
Jun-30-2006, 5:10pm
Austin sounds very deserving.

psann
Jun-30-2006, 5:26pm
Is this the young man from Lancaster County, Pa? I hope and pray that he makes it. Music always seems to be bringer of miracles.

Yes, it is. He is originally from PA but his family moved in with his grandparents in Oklahoma while trying to save/raise funds for Austin. They came to Houston to be close to the medical center when he got to the top of the list for a donor. We are full time RV'rs and are beside them at the park. I got to know Austin very well the last few months and he is a sweet careing kid who never feels sorry for himself. He spent a lot of hours with me, coming over with his oxygen tank, because he fell in love with my golden retriever whle we were falling in love with him. It was a very exciting day when the call came that they wanted him at the hospital immediately as a heart and lungs were available. He is doing so well. I talked to him yesterday and he was so excited to be off of an oxygen tank for the first time ever. He touches the heart of everyone who meets him -Pat

psann
Jun-30-2006, 5:44pm
I am going to try to attach a pre-surgery photo here of Austin and Midas. Not sure how to do this.

musical mama
Jun-30-2006, 11:07pm
Grow, I sent a PM earlier about the mandolin for my son, but just ignore it; it sounds like Austin is a good candidate for your gift. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Jim Rowland
Jul-05-2006, 11:11pm
I got 11 responses to this post including PMs. Several pulled out voluntarily in favor of Austin Barber. I think I made a deal with Cafe' readers,however,and am sticking with my original promise to put the candidates names in a hat and pull out the winner strictly by chance..and so,the mandolin goes to ustafiddle. Please PM me with your mailing address ustafiddle.
Like some of the other posters,I was moved by the plea for Austin and have another IV assembled in the white which I will send him as soon as I can get some finish on it.
Jim

musical mama
Jul-05-2006, 11:20pm
Congratulations, ustafiddle! And Jim, you're a good man!!
I imagine Austin will be tickled pink, not to mention how pleased and touched his family will be at your kindness.

Bill Snyder
Jul-05-2006, 11:30pm
Classy move Jim. Good on ya.

jackofall
Jul-06-2006, 4:38am
Classy move Jim. Good on ya.
Indeed.

Respect to you, Jim.

Mark Normand
Jul-06-2006, 8:04am
Nice move gang. I participate in another group of traditional bowhunting fanatics, and we do stuff like this all the time. It's very common for most of us to have a bunch of homemade bows and arrows at a time, when a post like Austin's comes up, its a no brainer.

Makes one proud to be associated with folks that think like this. Just this morning I was noticing how the entire front page of the newspaper was all doom/gloom/crime, etc. Then you have stuff like this thread!

psann
Jul-06-2006, 8:16am
I am speechless over your generosity. I have also been contacted through private message offering learning cd's for Austin. This is so appreciated.

Austin is still in the hospital. He was having some reactions to one of the meds and they needed to put him back on oxygen for a few days. They are now considering letting him come home Friday. This is an exciting and frightening time for his family.

Pat

musical mama
Jul-06-2006, 9:13am
Pat, my boys and I will be praying for Austin. #Even though they don't know him, they will be anxious to pray for him. #If I can get the pic you posted to print off I will put it on my frig next to our 10 year old cousin who has leukemia. #It's a nice reminder to stop and pray for him!

mandohubris
Jul-06-2006, 11:24am
Jim, a nice way of handling the mandolin give-a-way, and a wonderful response to Austin. My thanks to you and prayers to Austin and musical mama's cousin.

epicentre
Jul-06-2006, 8:46pm
This is truly a great website, great information, wonderful people.

Epi.

mandoforme
Jul-06-2006, 9:02pm
I guess somehow I missed this thread. Jim, that is such a wonderful gesture. It is nice to know that kind people are still around. I will be praying for Austin and his family.