PDA

View Full Version : Darrington BlueGrass Festival - advice please

scgc.om
Jun-28-2006, 12:53pm
I plan to attend my 1st Darrington BG Fest later in July. I'm hoping to get some insight from experienced attenders.

Questions I have are:
1) I gather it's "Dry Camping" - no running water. How do you cope with this? I'm an experienced "rustic" camper - just want to bring the right gear. Can one buy fresh food nearby?

2) I think SUN may be an issue - are there "preferred" camping spots in the shade?

3) I'm thinking of arriving early - Wed, July 19, even tho' the Festival starts on the Friday. Is this allowed (recommended) ? Do I need to alert the campground that I'd be coming in early or can I just arrive on Wed?

4) What's the jamming scene like? What about the stage - good sound?

5) Any other tips?

Thanks for all help.

fredfrank
Jun-28-2006, 5:57pm
Yeah, dry camping. I have an RV trailer with a water tank, but there are public restrooms in the building with the concession stands.

The little town of Darrington is very nearby for food, but most people either bring their own or buy from the concession stand.

I'd say that most of the camping is in the woods. If you get there as early as Wednesday, you'll have no problem finding a spot. The later you wait (like me), the harder it is to find a spot.

Jamming is all over the place. The woods just reek of jams all through the night.

The sound isn't my favorite, but they get the job done. There is no shade where the audience sits. That's about the only negative thing I can think of concerning this festival.

Get there as early as you want. I understand that people come in a week or more early, so whatever!

ron d.
Jun-28-2006, 6:20pm
Get there early to get a shady spot, there aren't numbered camp spots or reservations. You just pick out a spot you like, park and set up camp. This is the biggest BG festival in Washington state, the jamming goes on all day and all night, it's awesome. You'll love it! Ron

Tim Saxton
Jun-28-2006, 8:01pm
I plan to attend my 1st Darrington BG Fest later in July. I'm hoping to get some insight from experienced attenders.

Questions I have are:
1) I gather it's "Dry Camping" - no running water. How do you cope with this? I'm an experienced "rustic" camper - just want to bring the right gear. Can one buy fresh food nearby?

Dry indeed. There is some running water for drinking in the upper wooded areas. The local IGA is great. Fresh foods and bluegrass playing on the ovrehead system.

2) I think SUN may be an issue - are there "preferred" camping spots in the shade?

Yes. Get there early in the week like tuesday or so. The best sites go very fast as they are on a first come first serve basis. If you end up in the "Gulch" you're gonna burn.

3) I'm thinking of arriving early - Wed, July 19, even tho' the Festival starts on the Friday. Is this allowed (recommended) ? Do I need to alert the campground that I'd be coming in early or can I just arrive on Wed?

Nope just show up. There are people arriving as early as the week before starting around Saturday or Sunday.

4) What's the jamming scene like? What about the stage - good sound?

Great jamming from the Sunday before to the Monday after. During the festival all day and night. Sound is fair.

5) Any other tips?

Get down to the river and enjoy a nice dip!!!

Thanks for all help.

mandopete
Jun-29-2006, 9:02am
Yup, what they said!

greg boyd
Jun-30-2006, 6:49pm
Hi,

You'll have a great time at Darrington.
It's definitely one of the best venues I can think of.

The running water issue:
NO SHOWERS at Darrington!
We solve that every year by walking a short hike down to the Stillaguamish River that borders the festival grounds. The water is pretty cold... but we need the "wake-up" every morning anyway.
* Be sure to pack biodegradable soap.

Sun and Heat issue:
That part of Washington State is not known for blistering heat, but it CAN get rather hot. There is plenty of huge shady areas to get out of the sun... but right in front of stage is right in the sun.
* It CAN get chilly there. I can remember my first year that I only took one good blanket... never again.

Take:
Rain Jacket
Hat
Bathing Suit

The food offered is better some years than other years, but there is good breakfast offered, great espresso, etc...

And... we'll be there with a pretty good line-up of instruments and accessories.
Stop by or come and hang around our booth. We'll introduce you to the local players from the Northwest.

- Greg Boyd
House of Fine Instruments
311 Knowles St
Missoula, MT 59801
www.gregboyd.com

GTG
Jun-30-2006, 6:56pm
This is the biggest BG festival in Washington state
....well, other than Wintergrass, that is, which is 6 months away.