PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Collings owners

Bradley
Apr-13-2004, 5:06pm
I have been eyeing the Collings MF5 after playing one a few weeks back.The only thing I wasnt crazy about the finish.The one I played had a more even Brownish finish instead of the Sunburst that I would prefer.In some of the pictures they offer an awesome burst that would push me over the edge ($$$),but in all of the more recent photos from online stores they offer the brownie look.

My question is, are there 2 finishes that Collings are doing or have they gotten away from the burst and now doing a different look?

Thanks in advance

jim simpson
Apr-13-2004, 5:10pm
Bradley,
I wast just in a shop checking out the new MF model. It was as you've described with a matte finish. I liked it. The MF5 had the usual sunburst. I wonder if it was the MF that you saw?
I was really impressed with the sound and feel of the MF and might be readjusting my thinking about a 2nd mando.

Bradley
Apr-13-2004, 5:15pm
It was definetly the MF5($7K)it also had the nice lacquer finish...just a brown versus a burst

onlyagibsonisgoodenuff
Apr-13-2004, 5:27pm
I know the color you're talking about. It's a dark brown into a light brown in the middle. Same as my Collings MF5. I think this is what they are doing now, but it seems to change now and then. Some of the pictures I've seen on the internet both here at the cafe classifieds and elsewhere have been different. One of the most knowlegeable dealers when it comes to Collings is Greg Boyd. Give him a holler, he'll talk all day to you.

grsnovi
Apr-13-2004, 7:25pm
I own a new MF. I love the matte finish. While up at Wintergrass, I saw several MF5's with various finishes. I suspect they'd do just about anything you wanted to pay for.

MEP
Apr-13-2004, 9:01pm
My MF5 looks very much like the one that Collings shows on their website. Most of the Collings MF5's look very similar. They are very consistent in their tonal quality also. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Corbin Smith
Apr-14-2004, 12:59pm
The dark "tobacco burst" on my MT2H was a deciding factor for me throwing down the cash for it. I love the understated look. Maybe I'm jaded of the traditional bright yellow sunburst, but who knows. I also love blonde/other solid color finishes.

I have seen other Collings with more traditional bursts. Looks like it depends on the instrument. I'd be curious to know what decisions go into the variety of bursts at Collings. Do they make conscious decisions to produce X number of tobacco bursts and Y number of yellow? Does it depend on who is finishing it/what their mood is at the time??