PDA

View Full Version : Gibson's new case

Big Joe
Apr-13-2004, 2:01pm
Good news for all! We are going to package our new A9, F9, and F5G mandolins with a new travelite case in place of the TKL hard case we have been shipping them in. You can have a hard case if you prefer, but we believe the new travelite is a better case with better protection. They will be phased in over the next few weeks. If someone has a higher end mandolin and would rather have the travelite, we will gladly package it with the travelite in place of the TKL. I think this will be a great improvement for our product.

Scotti Adams
Apr-13-2004, 6:54pm
..thats fine and dandy Joe..but we really want to see the new Calton/Gibson case.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif right guys?

Apr-13-2004, 7:56pm
yeah lets see them Caltons!

BigJoe
Apr-13-2004, 10:32pm
Uh....I hate to mention something so trivial, but they only come with the Distressed Master Model. Of course, we have not recieved our prototype yet but we are working on it. I'm sure I'll see them in my lifetime http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif .

In the meantime and for those who are not buying a Master Model, the travelite is a great improvement.

Apr-14-2004, 7:54am
"the travelite is a great improvement."

Sorry Joe, I don't share your feeling that the travelite is better. They may ship better in them, but beyond that I don't feel it's an improvement. When I recieve a $3250 list (or higher in the case of the F5G) mando in a Travelite case.......my reaction is "what a cheap case!"

Now here is a rant for Breedlove....
Why don't you folks offer a shaped hardshell for the Quartz line. A $1000 list mando deserves better than a STINKING GIGBAG. Whether it's the O or K shape, I think most dealers & buyers would gladly pay an extra $40 - $50 for a decent case....I know I would. The last time I talked to you folks, you didn't offer a case short of the high dollar rectangular......

There, I feel better now.....

mandoman4807
Apr-14-2004, 8:03am
In the meantime and for those who are not buying a Master Model, the travelite is a great improvement.

Then why is only the lower line mandolins getting this case??

Darrell

AlanN
Apr-14-2004, 8:20am
I see there is a square Calton in the classifieds at a very good price. I own one (had another, which I sold to Alan Bibey). Excellent case, Calton quality and for not much more than a regular baby coffin Calton. Just be prepared to bulk up your biceps by carrying it!

Apr-14-2004, 8:50am
Sorry boys................the Calton got snapped right up!

Scotti Adams
Apr-14-2004, 9:11am
..can you say Presto?

AlanN
Apr-14-2004, 9:25am
U da man, Dale http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

craigmurray
Apr-14-2004, 9:34am
Dale - I completely agree with your statement about Breedlove cases. #My wife gave me a Quartz OF last summer. #When she gave it me, I asked why she bought such a crappy case for it, thinking that she should have known better. #I was shocked to find that this mandolin came with such a pathetic case. #Now I know this isn't a high end instrument, but it sounds great, and wasn't exactly cheap. #It is definately worth protecting with something better than a gig bag. I think it does reflect poorly on Breedlove. #Nice mandolin, crappy case.

Brian Ray
Apr-14-2004, 9:55am
So does this mean Gibson is going to be lowering their prices on these models due to the cost savings on the case?

I mean, it would be rather insulting to announce that you're going to pocket a few more dollars by offering a cheaper case with lower model mandos and try to call it an upgrade...

Mike Bullard
Apr-14-2004, 10:45am
Is it the TL-45 Travelite Case? If so, I just received one a few weeks ago and could not be any happier (unless it had a master model in it). It does offer more protection from bumps and bangs than my old case. Also has good storage area inside. My 2 cents....

Steven Stone
Apr-14-2004, 11:16am
I MUCH prefer the travelite cases to the Gibson/TKL models.

The first thing I did when I got my F-5 Fern was take it out ot the vintage style rectangular case and put it into a Travelite case.

I've never seen a mando damaged by a Travelite case while I've seen many, many mandos nicked, gouged, and dropped by TKL cases. Any case with metal sticking out(the latches) is a menace.

Sorry, but anyone who thinks a TKL case is better than a Travelite needs to have their head examined by an expert. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Apr-14-2004, 11:59am
"Any case with metal sticking out(the latches) is a menace."

Can't argue with that point Steven.

Real "cases" don't have zippers. #IMHO # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Brian Ray
Apr-14-2004, 12:04pm
Just got back from having my head examined... the findings were inconclusive.

yoods
Apr-14-2004, 1:08pm
"Good news for all! #We are going to package our new A9, F9, and F5G mandolins with a new travelite case in place of the TKL hard case we have been shipping them in. " Big Joe.

Hey Big Joe, is it the TL-45 Travelite Case? #This is a very timely thread for me now for as I write both a travelite and featherlite case are being shipped to me to see which is a better fit for my A-9.

If it is not a TL-45, what case are you supplying for the A-9 and where can I get one. A big thanks for my great mandolin by the way. I love it's sound.

Coy Wylie
Apr-14-2004, 1:31pm
"as I write both a travelite and featherlite case is being shipped to me to see which is a better fit for my A-9..."
yoods,

Be sure to post a comparison review. I'm in the market too and have considered both these cases.

Big Joe
Apr-14-2004, 1:56pm
Hey Guys...I don't know the model number of the case. Our purchaser is not here at the moment to ask. There is not an appreciable difference in the cost of the cases for that to drive our decision. The real reason we have chosen this case is it is more protective of the instrument. We recieved a mandolin for repair in that case and were blown away by it. We called the company, they sent two samples and we loved them. We stood on the cases with no deflection. We determined they were a better case than what we currently offer.

For the time being we will continue to package the other mandolins in the TKL case unless someone requests the travelite. I realize some will not like the change, but they can order it with the tkl. For the majority though, the travelite will be a real improvement. We are looking at some options for the upper level mandolins that will be really cool, but until we are farther down that road, we will not discuss any details.

While the TKL cases are excellent cases for their type, many prefer a case that is more protective and offers less weight and may negate the need for purchasing a case to transport their mandolin in. Anyway, either type case is an option but we really feel the travelite is a better choice.

Another reason we chose those three models for this case is that represents a large share of the market. More A9 and F9 models are sold than any other. Of course the reason is price. Still, no matter the price, one wants a quality case for their mandolin. I used to carry my Master Model in a Calton but now use my travelite. If I did not think it was a great case, you would never catch me using one. Same for Charlie. Anyway, this thread was to give some information you might like to have.

Apr-14-2004, 3:35pm
"We stood on the cases with no deflection."

Hey Joe....you saw my photo that Mandohack posted, can I stand on your case (with the MM inside) ?......... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Scotti Adams
Apr-14-2004, 3:38pm
..now I would pay good money to see that.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Charlie Derrington
Apr-14-2004, 3:50pm
Well, when Joe says "we" he means me. I don't think a Leaf would stand up to Joe's bulk. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Charlie

Kevin@bluegrassbrethren
Apr-14-2004, 4:24pm
Q: Do you stand behind your cases?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Answer:
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Kevin%20T.%20Schell/Desktop/lw%20standing%20600%201.jpg

yoods
Apr-14-2004, 7:13pm
"Be sure to post a comparison review. I'm in the market too and have considered both these cases. "

Will do Willard, but they both won't be here until next week. I will add to this thread later next week.

Big Joe, thanks for trying to answer my question. However, I am still wondering a few things. An additional answer from you might help clarify things in regards to my question about model # of the Travelite...is the internal padding for the case you are selling with the A-9 made specifically for the A-9 (or A models), or is the internal padding good for use by the F-9 as well? Look forward to your answer, and thanks!

Dru Lee Parsec
Apr-14-2004, 7:25pm
The picture on the Travel Lite case web page looks a lot like what I bought for my Breedlove. BTW, A Breedlove K style does fit in an F-Style case with a small bit of bouncing around. A bandana fills the gap nicely. A banana works as well but it gets messy after about 2 days.

Big Joe
Apr-15-2004, 9:41am
Hey guys...The F style case shape looks somewhat like a Calton, only not fiberglass. The A style is a rectangular case. They are both fitted so the type of mandolin fits snuggly inside. I am still trying to get the model number but have not seen our buyer yet. Anyway, I'm confident you will like them when you get them. I will post the model numbers when I get them. Thanks.

Oh, I forgot...when I said 'we stood on them' it was definately not me. They would have preferred an elephant...less weight http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif .

AlanN
Apr-15-2004, 12:34pm
The only drawback of the Travelite (and it's a minor one) is no pocket on the outside for stuff. That would be a good addition to this excellent case.

BenE
Apr-15-2004, 2:36pm
Can anyone compare the Travelite to the Modern Supercase?

yoods
Apr-15-2004, 3:30pm
Thanks for the info Big Joe. If you don't mind, please ask your rep if the case designed to fit the A-9 would be available for sale to us folks who have already bought an A-9 and got the TKL case. I guess that is my way asking, will you (Gibson) be willing to sell the A-9 case to folks like me, or do you know if it will be available via individual vendors in the future? Thanks!

Big Joe
Apr-15-2004, 4:05pm
The travelite cases will be available for sale through our retail store. The number there is 615-514-2200x4. It may be a week or two before they are in stock, so be patient. The sales staff will not likely know about the change till the product is in stock. Thank you.

yoods
Apr-15-2004, 4:16pm
Thanks Big Joe.

Mike Bullard
Apr-15-2004, 6:14pm
Is this it? #

TRAVELITE CASE- MANDOLIN F-MODEL
Product Code: TL-45 #Precision-engineered instrument cavity made of high-grade lightweight material
Arched-top construction #
Full suspension top and body #
Roomy interior accessory compartment #
Neck support and Velcro strap #
Padded, heavy-duty ballistic nylon exterior cover #
Plush velour interior #
Luggage grade nylon zipper #
Velcro strap closure #
Back-pack straps #
Sturdy hinges #
Under handle latch with key Durable metal feet on horizontal and vertical axis for versatile storagehttp://www.centsiblesounds.com/TL-45_small.jpg http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

neal
Apr-15-2004, 7:21pm
Joe, I read on April 1 you were transfered to the Korean epiphone site. Welcome back!

Peakbagr
Apr-15-2004, 10:14pm
Why not ship "distressed" model in a chipboard case? Any additional "distresses" added thru shipping should only add to the value.

yoods
Apr-16-2004, 6:40am
"Is this it?" MikeB42

No, from what Big Joe said before in regards to a case for the A-9 model.

yoods
May-01-2004, 7:07am
"Quote (yoods @ April 14 2004, 14:08)
"as I write both a travelite and featherlite case is being shipped to me to see which is a better fit for my A-9..."

========================================

"Yoods,

Be sure to post a comparison review. I'm in the market too and have considered both these cases. "

Willard

===============================

Ok here goes, a very short comparison of the TL-45 Travelite vs. Featherlite cases for my A-9....

I have decided on the Travelite, it fits (and supports) my A-9 well without much movement when the case is closed (the TL-45 Travelite is made for F-mandos). The Featherlite works, but I don't think it supports my mando as well as the Travelite does. I have sent the Featherlite back.

I will add that there is not a lot of room for "extras" in the Travelite case (it does have #a storage space for stings and a tuner). If you like to carry a lot of sheet music and the like, you can't put much in the case before it elevates the body of the mandolin to where it can put too much pressure on the top when you close the lid.

An important note if you have an A-style mando besides the A-9 and are interested in getting the Travelite case by mail order, make sure you order the case with the understanding you can return it if it will not fit your mandolin. For any good dealer this should not be a problem but you never know. For example, this case would not work for my '30's Gibson A or my pancake Flatiron.

Last comment, I did contact Gibson about the pricing of the Travelite case they offer made for the A-9. The fella I talked to last week didn't know yet (new product). I did ask if it would be about the same as what I paid for the TL-45 Travelite (about $60.). He mentioned that it would most likely be higher. Perhaps someone else could post what Gibson wants for these new cases.

I hope this helps.

Coy Wylie
May-01-2004, 2:21pm
Thanks Yoods!

johnwalser
May-01-2004, 3:24pm
I have asked to be buried with my Travelite case. It will be empty as my wife will sell my 4 (soon to be 5) mandolins in order to come up with the cash to stick me in the ground. That's all right, I make pretty fair music tapping on my Travelite (I was a drummer 40 years ago).
John

Ted Eschliman
May-01-2004, 3:41pm
Not a bad idea, John.
Since the Travelite is so lightweight, Freda won't need as many pall bearers, either.
Gosh, just only one person, since it comes with those convenient backpack straps, too!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif