PDA

View Full Version : Broadening my horizons

celtic_knut
Apr-13-2004, 11:50am
Hi Everyone.

I pretty much mostly play Irish and Scottish tunes on my mandolin, but I want to learn more about, and start playing Bluegrass. I don't know much about Bluegrass, except that what I have heard I liked, so it is time to braoden my horizons.

Since I will "need" (read that "want") a new mandolin better suited for Bluegrass than my flat-top, I have been shopping around and found several mandolins in pricepoints not likley to lead my wife to start divorce proceedings. I know what I like as far as playability and tone go, but since I know very little about Bluegrass, I wanted to ask any Bluegrass afficianados out there which of the following mandolins might perform well in a Bluegrass setting, as well as for other suggestions in this pricepoint.

Rigel A+ (or A-Natural)
Breelove Quartz (A or "K", w/ f-holes)
Weber Hyalite
Weber Absaroka

John Flynn
Apr-13-2004, 12:37pm
I am a big Rigel A+ fan for playing all kinds of music. It will hold it's own in a BG setting, but it is not really a pure BG mandol. If you are just looking to play bluegrass, my recommendation on your list would be the Abskora. Another in that price range would be a Gibson A-9. If you are willing to go used there are probably lots of great buys in the same price range, but you would have to shop around. A used Flatiron F-hole A-style would be ideal.

Lee
Apr-15-2004, 4:31pm
Celtic,
Must it be new? Pick out a few of mandolins from the classifieds that fall in your price range and ask us about them. You'll get plenty of comments.

Moose
Apr-15-2004, 4:55pm
Ditto to what Lee said!! - Good Luck & ask questions. Moose. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

mmukav
Apr-15-2004, 6:51pm
I think the Gibson A9 would be a good choice, new for around $1200. It has a satin lacquer finish, and has the bark and volume for bluegrass. Also good for the Celtic tunes.