PDA

View Full Version : Attention NC Pickers: #Matt Flinner Workshop

Jonathan James
Jun-19-2006, 2:29pm
For all you guys in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area, mando great Matt Flinner will be conducting a three-hour workshop on Saturday, July 22 in Raleigh, sponsored by the "Banjo in the Hollow" bluegrass association. $50 for non-Banjo in the Hollow members (includes 1 yr membership) or $40 for members. PM me if you'd like more info or want me to add you to the list. Space will be limited so confirm today. Thanks!

Mattg
Jun-22-2006, 1:18pm
I went to Matt's workshop at the Pickin Parlour in Arvada CO a few months ago and found it well worth my time and money. There were beginners (me) and advanced players and I think we all got something out of it. He shaped the workshop based on what us students wanted to cover. I'm still working with the arpeggios and right hand exersises that he introduced.

The whole thing was very laid back and Matt was a very pleasant instructor (besides being an awesome musician).

My two cents

Jonathan James
Jun-23-2006, 8:16am
Thanks for the report, Matthew.

We're looking forward to it here in NC. Matt Flinner has a great rep as an outstanding artist AND a great teacher; not every performer fits that description...

mingusb1
Jun-23-2006, 9:35am
Hey, you should post about this over in the "Regional Jams, Places To Meet Other Players" section, too.

Jonathan James
Jun-23-2006, 9:56am
Great idea! Just did it. Thanks for the suggestion.

David Horovitz
Jun-23-2006, 11:29am
Just out of curiousity what mandolin is Matt playing? I remember he sold his Gilchrist earlier this year; does he play another Gil or something else?

Mattg
Jun-23-2006, 2:02pm
I meant to look at the headstock David but I completely forgot. From my angle I could only tell that it was a well worn, sweet sounding mando.

Jonathan James
Jun-23-2006, 2:47pm
I'll find out in July.