PDA

View Full Version : Another newbie question

Apr-13-2004, 10:04am
These scale length questions tend to get to a bottom line that over some point (not entirely agreed upon) the mandolin family changes from a lead instrument to an accompanying instrument. #In trying to conceptualize that, I keep thinking of a longer scale instrument (like guitar) being played as a lead instrument. #Is is really a combination of the scale and tuning (fourths for guitar versus fifths for mandolin) rather than just the scale length.

pklima
Apr-13-2004, 11:42am
Tuning in fifths plus a long scale equals having to make long shifts. Some people don't want to play melody on their longer-scale instruments because playing rhythm makes it easier to avoid long shifts. That's not to say melody can't or shouldn't be done... violoncellists play melodies all the time and they have a scale around 27" to deal with. I don't mind playing melody on my 26 3/8" scale troll cittern, but I'm used to a bass with a 41" mensure, and I'm not too interested in playing fast.

Jacob
Apr-13-2004, 4:53pm
Since one size seldom fits all, experimentation on an acoustic guitar might provide some insight. #With an extra A and an extra D string, tune the guitar to EAGDAE, with the extra A in the normal D string position tuned a whole step lower to G, the extra D string in the normal G string position tuned to D, and the B string dropped a whole step to A. #Ignore the low E & A strings, and see what works for you in long-scale GDAE. #(You might also try dropping the high E string a whole step to D, to get the feel of the GDAD Irish bouzouki tuning.) #Try placing a capo at different frets to see how the feel of playing a long-scale mandolin changes with the scale length. #Also consider the choice of #diatonic fingering or chromatic fingering (http://www.irish-banjo.com/technique/solo-playing/basic-left-hand-technique.html#diatonic-fingering) as discussed for Irish tenor banjo. Some Irish bouzoukis are built with a scale length that's a couple of frets longer than an acoustic guitar.