PDA

View Full Version : Yank Rachell

garyblanchard
Jan-28-2004, 3:21pm
Is anyone else familiar with this man? He recorded most recently with John Sebastian and the J Band. The CD "Chasing Gus's Ghost" includes some live tracks recorded just before his death. To find out more you can go to :
Yank Rachell (http://www.io.com/~tbone1/blues/bios/yank.html)

John Flynn
Jan-28-2004, 3:57pm
"Santa" brought me the "Yank Rachell and His Tennessee Jug Busters" CD for Christmas. I love it!

One cool anecdote I read on the web: Rachell was on a bill with Grisman for some big concert. Grisman realized that Rachell intended to perform with a beat up old Harmony mandolin in front of a huge audience and did not feel that was appropriate for such a great player, so Grisman lent Rachell his Loar for the performance. What Grisman didn't realize that Rachell was in the habit of waving the mando around when he talked to the audience between tunes. Grisman cringed every time Rachell would narrowly miss the mike stand with the Loar. However, the instrument was later returned with no damage.

garyblanchard
Jan-28-2004, 4:20pm
That is a great story. I could imagine how Dawg felt. I'll stick to my cheap beater!

ira
Jan-28-2004, 8:16pm
garyb- sadly that was yank's last recording. but what a great catalog of music he left behind, and the book about his life is a neat view of the stringband/jugband blues era.

mrmando
Jan-29-2004, 6:58pm
In his younger days Yank perfected the art of tossing his mandolin into the air and catching it in such a way as to play a chord on contact. I hope he didn't try that with Grisman's Loar!

Brent
Jan-31-2004, 8:34am
Homespun tapes has one about blues mandolin by Steve James. John Sebastian sits in on few tunes to accompany Steve on guitar. Steve emphasizes Yank Rachel's style throughout the video. As I remember, he plays one of Yank Rachel's mandolins on the last number, maybe an electric Harmony, but I'm not sure. Definitely worth checking out if you are in to this style.
Brent Graves
Negaunee, MI

bluesmandolinman
Feb-10-2004, 2:06pm
waving the mando around.... can be seen on "Sweet Old Song " the film about Howard `Louie Bluie´ Armstrong... don´t miss it !

I love these showmen. They are so cool and have fun ....

....and Blues Mandolin rules !

René

hellindc
Feb-16-2004, 12:49am
Mando Johnny, how did your wife get her hands on that CD? I searched on google, and only 9 hits came up, with Amazon in Britain, not the U.S., distributing it.

DKinAZ
Feb-16-2004, 3:42am
I just bought one from elderly music

John Flynn
Feb-16-2004, 1:17pm
hellindc:

Mine came from a music store in St. Louis, MO, USA that specializes in acoustic music. I think the Elderly suggestion is the way to go for you.

hellindc
Feb-17-2004, 11:49pm
MandoJohnny -- I'm in St. Louis. (I knew you were too; we've run across each other now and then.) So which store -- Music Folk?

Dan

John Flynn
Feb-18-2004, 9:13am
So which store -- Music Folk?

Yep. Although I think it is a toss up as to whether they would have another copy at any given time.