PDA

View Full Version : Webers

craig
Jun-18-2006, 9:09pm
looking to order a Yellowstone. would like to see customizations you've made and hear why. any thing you would change about your Weber?

craig

tin ben dur
Jun-18-2006, 10:28pm
I have a custom Weber Bitterroot with maple upgrade. I love it. Great warm sound and just perfect fit and finish. I recomend you get the traditional bridge. I also recomend Greg Boyd. He has an awesome crew of guys to work with and they did a great setup job on my baby. Do not upgrade to the rectangular case. I like mine alot but when its closed I think the bridge is to close to the top. The shaped case is arched. I am in the process of a new Yellowstone myself. It will be a custom definitely. I got the matte finish on my Bitterroot but thinking of going with the varnish finish on my Yellostone. I use a Dawg pick that gives me a good sound but I am trying a mm150. I hope this helped you.

tin ben dur
Jun-18-2006, 11:01pm
Here it is

Ken Berner
Jun-19-2006, 7:52am
Fendoman, Do you have tone bars or the STE version of modified X-braces? My guess is X-bracing, from your description of the tone, but the "traditional" bridge is a detriment to a warmer tone.

George R. Lane
Jun-19-2006, 9:59am
Craig,
I have this custom Gallatin, Maple upgrade, cedar top, traditional tone bars, readius fretbroard. All I can say is I LOVE IT. Bruce Weber and Mike Bartow are great guys and will work with you to make your dream mando.

Kevin Briggs
Jun-19-2006, 11:16am
I also have a custom Bitteroot. It has a Red Spruce top, maple back and sides, gold hardware, Fern Burst, a 10" radius on the fretboard, tone bars, traditional bridge, and a few other cosmetic things.

I got a great bluegrass mandolin and I barely knew what I was doing when choosing customizations. Paula Jean guided me through the process, and the mandolin turned out great. I can only imagine how it would have turned out if I knew then what i know now, but.... It's still a great mandolin. It's very loud and has some exceptional lows and mids. The highs are nice, but the lows and mids are the real highlights of the tone.

There is a good picture of mine in the sound to earth link below.

RI-Grass
Jun-19-2006, 6:10pm
I love my Yellowstone.
I went with the following options:
Radiused Fingerboard
Custom Color (Faded Leather Burst)
Traditional Brekke Bridge (came with Original Brekke, but it has way more punch with the Traditional)
Custom fretboard inlays (got tired of dots)
Gold hardware (got tired of nickel)
Should have opted for the flowerpot and "The Weber" script.
Good luck with yours,
Sal

tin ben dur
Jun-19-2006, 8:15pm
Ken, it has tone bars. It just had a nice warm sound straight out of the box. My friend has been playing violin and viola since she was three and she prefers the viola because of the warmer tone. She just loves my Weber and loves to play it. I really like the sound I get out of the Dawg pick. When I order my Yellowstone I will definitely get a flowerpot, dots, and extended fingerboard. Weber uses GWW cases so I called them and custom ordered a vintage style "Loar" like case. I think a vintage style Yellowstone would look good in it.

Scott Schmidt
Jun-20-2006, 5:01pm
Craig,

If you can afford it, I would highly consider upgrading to the new varnish finish! #For a less expensive upgrade, you should consider a cedar top. #I received my custom Big Sky w/ cedar top and varnish about a month ago and man oh man is it a killer instrument! #A radius fingerboard is another option to consider. #My Yellowstone with a flat board is comfortable to play, but my Big Sky with the radius plays like glass!

-Scott

craig
Jun-22-2006, 6:02pm
thanks for the replies!

fendoman and mandomonium, i like the finish you guys have on your tops. what is it called (i.e. antique, natural, sunburst)?

scott, i checked out the pricing for varnish finish: $3325.00 extra!! yikes!!! why is it so much?

cedar top: there are a couple of threads on this topic, but not much real info. i have a cedar top larrivee guitar that i really like. it has a great sound. but, why on a mando? what are the advantages of the cedar top? if it is superior, why were the Loars made with spruce? would love to hear some objective detail on this issue . . .

more pictures of webers please?? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

tin ben dur
Jun-22-2006, 6:14pm
craig, I don't really know what that color is called. I told them I wanted a woody looking color close to one of Chad's on Greg Boyd's website. Who told you that price on the varnish finish? Because that is crazy. If that is true I would just pick a color and do the matte finish. I love mine and it has very good sound. I was wanting to order a Yellowstone but I would not pay that much for a varnish finish. Something is wrong. I would suspect a varnish finish might run about 600.00 more. Thats what BRW charges for his varnish finish. I don't know.

tin ben dur
Jun-22-2006, 6:16pm
Call Greg Boyd or email him via his website on the home page.

craig
Jun-22-2006, 6:22pm
fendoman,

i got the price for the varnish finish off the Weber site under "Options and Prices". i hope i've misinterpreted it somehow?

cheers,

craig

tin ben dur
Jun-22-2006, 6:35pm
craig, I just checked it and your are correct. Bluegrass is good in Montana. I absolutely love Weber mandolins but that is crazy to me but scott may have paid that for his. Scott has an awesome mandolin. I think thats his on the picture page somewhere and its sweet. I wanted varnish to but I think I will just go with the custom color and matte finish.

Scott Schmidt
Jun-26-2006, 12:17am
Here's a pic of my varnish Big Sky. I'm not sure what the color is...it is something Brett (the finish guy) came up with based on some pics I sent him. I really like it a lot! I have never been a huge fan of high gloss instruments so it is perfect to my liking!

http://www.commontyme.net/Weber/closefront.jpg

steve in tampa
Jun-26-2006, 4:42am
Here's a shot of my Bitterroot w/ mahogany back and sides, and a cedar top. It is a great player, has a ton of volume, and sounds fantastic.

George R. Lane
Jun-26-2006, 9:21am
Craig,
The color on my Gallatin is called 'Bearpaw", it gives a more vintage look.The finish is somewhere between a luster and semi-gloss, Bruce decieded that it needed a bit of a shine to it. I know they can come up with whatever color and finish you want.

Scott Schmidt
Jun-26-2006, 11:03pm
I talked to Mike Bartow @ Weber this afternoon and pointed out that there were some questions on this thread about the pricing on their web site. #If you look at the STE website, the price has been corrected to $1800. #The varnish is well worth the time and money in my opinion. #My lacquer Yellowstone is awesome, but my varnish Big Sky is killer! #If you have any questions about mine, feel free to contact me.

ronlane3
Jul-17-2006, 9:34am
Here's a pic of my varnish Big Sky. #I'm not sure what the color is...it is something Brett (the finish guy) came up with based on some pics I sent him. #I really like it a lot! #I have never been a huge fan of high gloss instruments so it is perfect to my liking!
# #
This is one sweet mandolin. Loud, woody chops with a great tone all the way over the fretboard. And talk about easy to get used to playing. The neck is great for my big hands and the radius made playing it butter. Although Scott makes it sound a LOT better than I do. This is for sure a keeper.

nickster
Jul-17-2006, 8:11pm
Here's a pic of my varnish Big Sky. #I'm not sure what the color is...it is something Brett (the finish guy) came up with based on some pics I sent him. #I really like it a lot! #I have never been a huge fan of high gloss instruments so it is perfect to my liking!
# #
Scott,
Do you have an mp3 on the net somewhere of you playing the varnished Big Sky? I just ordered a cedar top Weber Fern with a one piece back similar to yours except sun burst color, 8" radius fingerboard.

Nick Stephens
Roebuck, SC

gwalt
Jul-17-2006, 8:50pm
Craig,
Check out this Weber.

Scott Schmidt
Jul-17-2006, 10:21pm
Nick, I don't have an mp3 of it yet, but I'll see if I can get something recorded in the next week or two. #Congrats on ordering a new Weber!

ronlane3
Jul-19-2006, 1:53pm
WARNING: #Upon hearing Scott's mandolin you will experience an uncontrollable urge to order one just like it.

I know, Scott had to pry it out of my hands on Sunday. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

dang
Jul-24-2006, 3:54pm
I just traded into a 2nd Weber and thought I would throw up a pic of the two...

dang
Jul-24-2006, 4:01pm
Almost forgot....
The new one is the oval on the left, it is a stock Hyalite
The one on the right is a custom order...
1 1/4 in neck (radius standard)
fingerboard extension removal
F-style headstock, bound
Block inlay
The Weber, script

I made and added the bone inserts to the original brekke bridge.

If I could change one thing, it would be to get silver tuners/tailpiece on the Bighorn...I just don't like gold that much (I thought at the time I would like it).