PDA

View Full Version : A9 update

mmukav
Apr-13-2004, 9:41am
Just wanted to give you all an update on my A9-with the crack in the fingerboard. Gibson repaired the crack perfectly, and set-up the mando great(better than when I got it!). It was done quickly, and returned promptly. They also addressed the issue with the finish, which was great. (as you know, I posted some harsh comments about the finish on the A9 and F9.)
Well, the boys(and girls) at Gibson, and my fellow mando lovers on this site have set me straight. When I got the mandolin back and played it for a while, I remembered why I bought Gibson. This mando sounds great. Wonderful tone, great bark, sparkling highs, it's easy to play. IMHO it blows anything in it's price range away! I do now understand why the finish is the way it is, to improve tone and reduce cost, and I'm tryin' like heck to keep my fingers off the top when I play. But if it does wear more, I will consider myself in the good company of players like Bill Monroe and Sam Bush. So if anyone is looking for a mandolin in the $1200 range new, the Gibson A9 has to be at the top of your list. Charlie, Joe and Sherrie at Gibson were all great, and I'm proud to be a Gibson owner! Mike

John Zimm
Apr-13-2004, 9:55am
I'm glad that worked out well.

I have recently acquired a bad desire for an a-style mandolin, so maybe I will set my sights on an A9 once I can save the money. It sounds like a terrific mandolin.

-John.

cutbait2
Apr-13-2004, 11:26am
i got to play an A9 at the LRB festival last weekend. it sounded really good. for less than $1200 new a worthy consideration. the company with the display was banjo.com from marietta, ga. (no financial interest)

jlb
Apr-13-2004, 11:29am
Glad everything ended OK for you.

You seemed pretty steamed a couple days ago! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mmukav
Apr-13-2004, 11:22pm
Yea JLB, I was pretty steamed, but I think part of it was separation anxiety. I couldn't play it, and I have no back-up. I have my guitar, but you know, it's just not the same. Once I got it back and played it, it played and sounded great, and I felt a lot better about the whole thing. The repairs were done well and quickly, eveyone at Gibson was great,(even with my rantings) and I realized the instrument I chose to buy and the company that made it were well worth my money. I think everyone that posts on this site is pretty passionate about their instruments, or I don't think they'd spend so much time here! All I know is the A9 sounds and plays great, I've learned some things about mandolin finishes and quality, and now I can get busy and learn the new songs I want to learn. I'm pretty happy. Mike