PDA

View Full Version : pocket/belt clip preamp

ira
Apr-13-2004, 9:31am
a while back there was someinfo on a thread about a pocket/belt clip preamp. anyone know about this product (s).
i want a preamp that i can use to raise and lower volume without walking over to the system. anyone use these? comments?

thanks,
ira

ira
Apr-13-2004, 9:32am
ps- i use a mcintyre feather pickup (internally installed preamp)

John Flynn
Apr-13-2004, 9:49am
I used to use an LR Baggs Para-Acoustic DI, which is not a belt clip model, but it was a great preamp for the money. I should have kept it. I now have a more expensive Boss model that has more features, but I do not like the sound as well. Baggs makes different models of belt-clip units and they claim the belt models use the same basic circuitry as the DI, just with fewer features. If that is true, I would look seriously at the Baggs units.

Bruce Evans
Apr-13-2004, 5:31pm
Fishman has several models. Try Elderly, Musician's Friend or Music 123.

mandoJeremy
Apr-13-2004, 9:32pm
I will second the vote for the L.R. Baggs equipment.

Michael Lewis
Apr-14-2004, 1:35am
Baggs is good equipment, but if you want a belt clip pre amp go to Pick Up The World. They have one called the Line Driver, and can custom make one if you need.

madog99
Apr-20-2004, 7:07am
K+K make a few models and the price is under $100 . I haven't tried one but it's on my "want" list.

ira
Apr-20-2004, 8:18am
found the baggs model for 85 with no shipping costs, so i think that will be the one.

ira
Apr-20-2004, 11:10am
btw- has anyone used the fishman pro eq beltclip model. how doesit rank against baggs- it has more features but is less expensive, and noone seems to talk about it.

R_Parent
Apr-21-2004, 12:21pm
I also have an Acoustic DI. My vote is for the L.R. Baggs in whatever flavor.

Talon
Apr-23-2004, 8:29am
Have L.R. Baggs GigPro. Works well, easy to use, good sound.
# #It's a single channel model. They make a two channel model also(MixPro)Good if you have a dual system, that has an instrument mic that needed phantom power, and a transducer that didn't for example(Underneath, it adds a mix control, to blend the two sources also). They both are discreet class A preamps, so nice high quality clean sound, with little or no coloration. On the top of it, it has a large volume pot, two medium size pots, for bass and treble, and a smaller pot for trim. The trim is a movable low cut filter. You can cut noise from subs, stage rumble, or can even boost lows for a warmer sound, without the excessive bass. Then underneath it has 1/4 input and output jacks, a gain control, which allows you to control amount of amplification, so it can be used on anything from ribbon to an active pickup. Also has a phase inverter switch, so if the instrument top and speakers are out of phase, the low end feedback that happens, you can change polarity to knock this out. Oh yeah, it has a low battery lamp down there too. Stupid place for it though, have to keep turning it upside down to check. Inside case it does have a phantom power switch you can turn on, so if you are using pickup mic's that need power, you got it. Don't leave this on though, unless you are using it, you could damage some transducers, that don't need the power. I have been very happy with mine. Wish they made a belt one, that had the para-eq, like the DI though, that would be the even better. I got mine for about $69 US. Well worth it.
# #Oh yeah, besides the volume pot, the others have detents for their neutral position. This is handy to have.

ira
Apr-23-2004, 6:41pm
where and when did you get it for 69http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Talon
Apr-24-2004, 11:01am
ira:

About 1 1/2 years ago,I remember with tax, it was still just under $75, I bought a 3 ft. 1/4" cord, and got out of store spending about $80
I thought it was a good deal, most I had seen then, were going for $79-$99, some even higher. Don't know what they are going for now. Don't remember the name of music store.
It was one of the larger stores, that carried alot of recording equipment. I have enjoyed it, and now knowing what it's like, It would be even worth paying $100 for one.
If you have a dual system, I would suggest the MixPro instead.

ira
Apr-24-2004, 6:36pm
hey talon, i think i got a good deal. most going for 95 to 100 and i got it for 85 all said and done.

don't know what a dual system is(new to this electric thing), so don't think i need one.:p

thanks for your help.

ira
Apr-26-2004, 8:54pm
got the gigpro and tried it out in the studio tonight- wooooooooooooooow! really made a difference, not just in volume/gain and ability to control that, but in the richness of the sound.

highly recommend it !