PDA

View Full Version : What in the world is this?

DryBones
Jun-16-2006, 2:13pm
Weird scroll (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7422656984&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT)

Jim Garber
Jun-16-2006, 2:18pm
Regal-made reverse scroll flatback. There are tons of those out there. Good cheapos if you can find them in good condition for little money.

Jim

Jun-16-2006, 7:07pm
George Gruhn references but doesn't show that mandolin on page 100 (of my copy) of Acoustic Guitars and Other Fretted Instruments. The design was also used by the Larson Brothers for a line of mandolins sold by Wm. Stahl Co. You can tell the difference between the Regal and the Larson models. You'll find these on that well known auction site that we never mention by name with dozens of brand names or no brand name at all. They were made "for the trade" as in private label manufacturing. Generally there are two or three of them up at a time but you have to look for them.

Eugene
Jun-16-2006, 10:47pm
I believe the proto-Kay Stromberg-Voisenet shop also built mandolins with this weird profile. There probably was some cross-polination with the Regal version in that case.

Jun-17-2006, 3:06pm
The Chicago builders bought and sold between themselves. Although I've never seen one of these with a known Stromberg-Voisenet brand on it, it wouldn't surprise me.

PlayerOf8
Jul-03-2006, 5:35am
I have a Larson Bros. Model

G

chuck.naill
Jul-03-2006, 7:17am
I was looking to see if the Bixby tremelo was attached.

chuck

Jul-03-2006, 7:18am
I have a Larson Bros. Model
That one is shown in the Gruhn book.