PDA

View Full Version : mandolin orchestra experiences

4stringmania
Jun-15-2006, 8:13pm
I've been a member of the Noe Valley Plucked String Orhestra in San Francisco for about a year now. #It's been quite a challenge and I've learned a lot about reading and intepreting music, playing together in a section, and following the conductor's directions. #We had our first concert this January and it was a wonderful experience with a very enthusiastic and appreciative audience. Our next concert is coming up this July 16th in San Francisco. #There's a link on our website to a couple of the songs recorded from the concert...far from perfect but not bad for a first attempt. It's been a lot of work but well worth it; my skills have definitely grown through the experience.

Any other orchestra members out there with stories they would like to share?
<a href="http://www.mandolinserenade.com/orch.html" target="_blank">
Noe Valley Plucked String Orchestra Website</a>

Jim Garber
Jun-15-2006, 9:27pm
So, I take it from your signature that you play a four-string instrument?

Jim

4stringmania
Jun-15-2006, 11:30pm
Yes I do. I play mandolin, octave mandolin, and tenor guitar. The orchestra has two mandolin sections, a mandola/octave mandolin section, a guitar section, and a harp.

Jim Garber
Jun-16-2006, 4:51am
I assume you mean four courses? I was asking if you played a 4 string mandolin.

Anyway, I played for a number of years in the New York Mandolin Orchestra and I agree, for someone like me with a folk background it did wodners for other aspects of my music.

These days i get my orchestra experience once or twice a year at the Carlo Aonzo workshops or at CMSA. I heartily recommend these and others like AmGuSS to those who are seeking to play other styles and who want to improve their musicianship.

Jim

4stringmania
Jun-16-2006, 9:59am
I get it...actually I do play three 4 string instruments: tenor guitar, solid body electric mandolin, and a solid body electric octave mandolin.

Stephanie Reiser
Jun-16-2006, 11:35am
There is a Mandolin Orchestra up here in Maine, in Waterville, I plan to try out for. Stephen Antonelli (I think) is the head man there. I've been to a performance of theirs, and since I'm getting better and better at reading and playing notation, I plan get in touch with him.