PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed ...

WJF
Jun-15-2006, 1:34pm
A friend of mine has a Kentucky 180B mandolin from the early 90's that he's looking to sell. The instrument is a blacktop, is exceptionally clean (no dings and no scratches ... remarkable for a blacktop!) has next to no fretware, a nice straight neck with low action and a good sound for an instrument of this type.

I have no clue what this mando might be worth but I told him that I would ask for him here and report back to him.

So ... what do you think?? What would you recommend he sell this for?

Thanks!!

Darryl Wolfe
Jun-15-2006, 2:46pm
I can tell you that the model numbers were representative of the price at the time they were made

Tom C
Jun-15-2006, 3:26pm
2 bits

fatt-dad
Jun-15-2006, 6:53pm
I sold the same mandolin to a friend (he's happy and it was a nice instrument) for $240.00. #It was in a hard shell case and very clean. #It was also a "made in Japan" vintage, which some argue are somewhat more "collectable". #No matter, it'd be a good deal for $200.00 and a great deal for $175.00. #For the case of my buddy, he had about 15 of my mandolins to choose from and that's what he picked (bear in mind at the time I had quite a collection of entry-level solid-top mandolins). #He just loved the sound of that mandolin and he wanted to make sure I made a few nickels on the deal.

f-d

mythicfish
Jun-15-2006, 7:30pm
The identical model (from the '80s) recently sold on eekbay for about $150. Considering the $50 shipping cost - outrageous -
$200 is probably right on the mark. I'm not sure if this "plain Jane" model would be considered collectable, but the Japanese ones are considered to be superior to later models.

Curt

Jun-16-2006, 7:41am
$150.00 with a hard case maybe. You've got some competition from other entry level mandolins at that point. If you're selling it on that well known auction site that we never seem to mention by name you might set a higher reserve and see what it gets to. That will tell you where the market is.