PDA

View Full Version : Snowbird

David M.
Jan-28-2004, 3:01pm
On a Fiddler Magazine Appalachian Fiddling video Bruce Greene plays 4 or 5 pieces, one being "Snowbird". Great tune in the key of D. I picked it out along w/the others on the video and it's fun to play as well.

Anybody know about this tune? It's different than "Snowbird on the Ashbank" and not on his Five Miles of Ellum Wood cd (one of my favorite records). Perhaps it's on one of his other releases that I don't have? I'd like to know more about it. Knowing Bruce, it's from Kentucky somewhere.

David Mehaffey

Jim Garber
Feb-05-2004, 3:48pm
I have been playing that tune for a number of years and learned it off of one of Bruce's cassette tapes. I think it was from the playing of john Salyer from KY, tho I can check the cassette notes. Definitely not the Ashbank tune which I think is from NC or WV.

Jim

David M.
Feb-10-2004, 4:31pm
Thanks, Jim. What cassette is it?

Do you have that hardbound book on Kentucky Fiddlers? Salyer's in it along w/almost everybody and there's a cd included. If you don't have it, I can look and find the correct title, etc. for you. Good resource. Bruce was a contributor to the author, who's name escapes me right now.

Jim Garber
Feb-10-2004, 4:38pm
I don't have that book but I think it must be this one by Jeff Titon (http://www.kentuckypress.com/viewbook.cfm?Group=97&ID=851).

Jim

David M.
Feb-11-2004, 10:47am
Yep, that's the book.