PDA

View Full Version : Laps in Seven

Jerry Byers
Jun-13-2006, 8:26am
I received Sam Bush's new album yesterday - great music. My drive to work this morning just flew by as I listened to the CD. Highly recommended.

gschmidt
Jun-13-2006, 9:00am
Yeah! Just got mine... listening now....

AlanN
Jun-13-2006, 9:25am
How does it compare to Late As Usual, his best solo work, imo.

Nathan Sanders
Jun-13-2006, 10:39am
I've had it for the past few weeks now and never tire of listening to it. Great stuff!

I believe this to be Sam's best collection of music so far. That is not to say his previous works are bad, because they are awesome. Laps In Seven just goes beyond with song choice, guest artists, and the band really gets to shine too. The more I listened to it, the more I liked it.

mandopete
Jun-14-2006, 9:18am
How does it compare to Late As Usual, his best solo work, imo.
That's funny, I thought I was the only one who thought Late As Usual was Sam's best effort since the Newgrass Revival. That one's pretty old (1987), but the other recordings Sam has done haven't stood out as much for me. I'm anxious to hear this new project.

Fretbear
Jun-14-2006, 9:29am
LAU was kind of Sam's mandolin masterpiece...a legacy for the future.

AlanN
Jun-14-2006, 9:35am
LAU has it all - sparse groove work (Sailin' Shoes), good songwriting ("I dreamed of a rose in a Spanish garden, and kissed you as I placed it in your hair"), trad. fiddle tunes (Norman and Nancy, Leather Britches), Jethro (Broadway), Funk (Funk 55), virtuosic playing (Russian Rag).

I can take or leave the neo-Allman Brothers stuff he favors these days, but hey, he's Sam and can do what he does http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

csstanley
Jun-14-2006, 12:13pm
good songwriting ("I dreamed of a rose in a Spanish garden, and kissed you as I placed it in your hair")
That was a New Riders of the purple Sage song, right?

Same tune?

mandopete
Jun-14-2006, 8:46pm
The song is called Last Letter Home and was written by David McDade of the Amazing Rhythm Aces.

I really dig the version of Leather Britches on that recording. I always though if I was going to do another mandolin contest I would try that tune. I won one a few years back with Sam's version of Going Back To Ol' Kentucky.

allenhopkins
Jun-20-2006, 2:33pm
According to "Bluegrass Music Profiles," the rhythm of the title tune "Laps In Seven" came from listening to Sam's dog lapping up water in a seven/four time signature. Great musicians can find inspiration anywhere...