PDA

View Full Version : Bob Shue F5

frets1
Apr-12-2004, 10:26pm
Can anyone give me any info on Bob Shue and the mandolins that he builds.

Lifes short - PICK HARD! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Scotti Adams
Apr-13-2004, 7:37am
I found this in the builders data base here on the 'Cafe Name: Shue, Bob
Company: Bob Shue
Address:

Link:
Phone/fax: 704 786 9562
Comments: F style mandolins
Update: September, 2001
ID: 474

cutbait2
Apr-13-2004, 8:06am
i've played one, is a good instrument, good BG tone, the builder lives in NC

cutbait2
Apr-13-2004, 8:14am
should be able to find a good used one for about 2k or a little less

moxledb
Apr-13-2004, 9:06am
I used to see several around the piedmont area of NC where I grew up. Many of the ones that I remember seeing/hearing/playing sounded OK, but were pretty rough in their fit and finish. Best I remember, Bob lives in Concord, NC and plays with his son in a band called Southern Junction. Used to see them quite a bit at all of the fiddle contests in the area. Not sure what his mandolins are going for, but they may be a decent deal if you can get one for less than $2k. I haven't seen one that I'd put a whole lot more than that into though.

jom
Apr-13-2004, 9:35am
I played one in a little shop north of Charlotte. I agree that it sounded great (nice woofy tone) but it was a little rough on the eye in some spots...but then again, so am I.

moxledb
Apr-13-2004, 9:56am
Looks like there are several Shue mandolins for sale here including a particularly rough looking A style towards the bottom of the page.

http://web.iwebcenters.com/harryandjeaniewest2/productCat52090.ctlg

Can't say that I'd want to put as much as they're asking into one. Particularly considering you can buy the Charles Horner F5 for the less money than the F style Shue. Several of the Horner mandolins that I've played have been really great sounding.

mandoJeremy
Apr-13-2004, 10:33am
I have played a few Shue mandolins over the years and they do sound very good but the workmanship is a little rough. Wayne Benson actually recorded the LiveWire album with one of Bob's mandolins so you can check out the tone on that CD.

Scotti Adams
Apr-13-2004, 5:38pm
Charlie Johnson over at Mandolin World Headquarters has one listed right now for $2800..has some nice pics too...

Lane Pryce
Apr-14-2004, 8:34am
I know Bob and get to jam with him every Tuesday night. Several area playes have his mandolins. In my opinion they kick a$$. They are woody,clear,focused and have as much volume as anyone could possibly need. The low end is as good as I have ever heard. Mandolin is not my primary instrument so I do not think I am being biased toward a local builder. Just my two. Lp

AlanN
Apr-14-2004, 8:47am
Hey JLP,

Is that an open jam on Tuesdays?

Lane Pryce
Apr-14-2004, 9:20am
Absoutely! and not too far from CH. There is a guy that drives from Durham every Tues. PM me and I'll give you directions. Lp