PDA

View Full Version : Zeidler

Garrett
Apr-12-2004, 7:15pm
Does anyone either have a used Zeidler or seen one for sale?

Mandobar
Apr-13-2004, 7:48am
i've only seen 2 of the mandos, period, and i am pretty sure that neither of the owners is willing to part with them. i would think they would be pretty pricey too.

Garrett
Apr-13-2004, 8:35am
I've only seen one up close, John McGann's, and seen one for sale. I should have bought it!

August Watters
Apr-13-2004, 12:33pm
I have a used Zeidler for sale. Contact me off list.

Oh, by the way -- it's a classical guitar. Sorry. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

August W

Moose
Apr-13-2004, 12:51pm
I would venture to say you're not too interested in selling it. Guitars and women share many common characteristics. AND.., if ya' find a GOOD one... KEEP IT!!! - (no flames please ; I mean that in the best of all possibile ways). As we know... Mssr. Zeidler will not be building any more wonderful instruments - 'least not in our sphere of being. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Garrett
Apr-13-2004, 2:24pm
Cruel of you to trick me like that Mr. Watters!

Yes, they are hard to find. I was getting ready to order one when he passed away. Terrible loss.

Mandobar
Apr-13-2004, 3:12pm
aaron, cheer yourself up and buy maverick's brentrup F5. i am positive you will not be disappointed. it will blow your socks off.

jim simpson
Apr-13-2004, 5:06pm
I too have seen only a couple. The last one I played was in John's shop. He had just finished it and was ready to send it off to a lucky customer when he asked if I wanted to try it. Beautiful looks, playability and sound. I agree that you aren't likely to see one come up for sale. If you do, jump on it!
I have a friend who owns a Zeidler dreadnought guitar and a 5-string banjo. I wonder what value they would be set at?

Garrett
Apr-13-2004, 6:14pm
I have a Coombe I'm very happy with -- I actually mainly play banjo and pedal steel these days so I shouldn't even be wanting a mandolin. But ever since I saw John's its been the only mandolin I really wanted. I've heard and played lots of the best including a beautiful Gilchrist, but the Zeidler is just different. It's not like any other mandolin, its not really a Loar clone, it has this big rich powerful sound... well.. you get the picture. Maybe it's just John's playing!

evanreilly
Apr-13-2004, 8:07pm
I'v known three people with Zeidler mandolins, and one of the three also had a mandola and mandocello. Very nice instruments. John Zeidler did a curved fingerbaord replacement on a Kentucky KM1500 mandolin for me; exceptionally clean work. Also did a truss-rod cover engraving for me also; excellent job.

August Watters
Apr-14-2004, 11:48am
OK, my apologies for my cruel little joke -- couldn't resist.

I'll always be sorry I didn't get a Zeidler mandolin when I had the chance. I did have a Zeidler dreadnought for awhile, and made the mistake of selling it during hard times. You really never can replace something like that once its gone.

I still have the archtop jazz guitar John built for me in 1986 -- wonderful instrument, and still the prized centerpiece of my collection. It has a big voice and stunning detail -- and doesn't really sound like anything else.

August W

evanreilly
Apr-14-2004, 1:00pm
Hey August: that is worsern than the bait & switch tactics them eBay scammers use. In the corner of the pub for you!!! Bad Boy!!!

August Watters
Apr-14-2004, 5:21pm
About value of Zeidler instruments: far as I can tell, John's passing has not really changed the value of his instruments. Of course, that could be because no one's willing to sell them!

My Z classical guitar has been at Mandolin Brothers for a few months now, with no interest. I'm going to give it back to John McGann, who really should be the one to have it anyway!

August W

Moose
Apr-15-2004, 9:57am
Mr.Watters: Your love - and respect - for fine instruments and their players is to be commended. Don't know you.., but I believe I understand your reasons.. and "generousity" - Regards & top 'o the day to ya.... Moose. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

August Watters
Apr-15-2004, 10:42am
Thanks, Moose. Back at you.

One thing I've learned: when the hard times come you can sell your instruments -- but the money will soon be gone, and you'll never get the instrument back. I'll always regret that decision to sell the dreadnought -- I still can't find a guitar I like as much, with the right combination of playability and tone.

I think partly this is because after you work with a really good instrument for years, your own playing evolves around the characteristics of that instrument -- so it's not easy just to change. I once heard a story about a cellist who rediscovered her long-lost stolen cello when another symphony member showed up with it -- and the cellist was able to prove it was hers just by playing -- it was evident to all that cellist and cello were old friends.

I know sometimes financial realities intrude, but I sure wish I'd found another way to keep the wolf away from the door!

August