PDA

View Full Version : My new 1925 waldzither

Martin Jonas
Jun-09-2006, 2:31pm
Last week, I received a waldzither I won on Ebay Germany for a very good price. It's a gorgeous instrument in great condition -- the seller has played it regularly for many years and has looked after it well.

Really nice woods and nice workmanship, straight neck, perfect action. Scale length is 43cm (17 inches). There's a top crack, but it has been repaired and doesn't look like it needs attention. The top is also slightly depressed around the bridge. The seller assured me that it had been like that for all the years he has had it and that there has been no additional sinkage. I'll keep an eye on it.

As waldzithers go, this one is the Vogtland type. Waldzithers come in three types: Thuringian, Hamburg and Vogtland. The most authentic ones are the Thuringian type, which are basically renaissance citterns coming out of a time warp. In the 1890s, Hamburg instrument maker Boehm started copying them, changing the headstock to the Portuguese-type tuners one sees on Fado instruments. They were built in vast numbers, and are probably what people think of when they hear "waldzither" (if they don't think "what on earth is that"...). Quite a few Irish session players have Boehm waldzithers, after Andy Irvine introduced it to Ireland. The Vogtland region of Saxony (around Markneukirchen) was the centre of craft-based German instrument-making in the late 19th/early 20th century. Most old German mandolins come from here, and most Vogtland waldzithers look much like overgrown German semi-roundback mandolins (what they call "Portuguese" style), with slotted headstocks and multi-stave backs. They were typically made in small local workshops by master luthiers, and then sold to a handful of large music dealers who labelled them up with their own label.

This one is no exception, bearing the label of Julius Heinrich Zimmermann and the year 1925. At the time, Zimmermann were Europe's largest music dealers (they still exist now), so the Zimmermann label gives little indication of the actual maker. It's untypical, though, in that it doesn't have a slotted headstock and in that it has a flat two-piece back.

It came strung up with fairly new waldzither strings, tuned to an open C chord: CGCEG, with the single bass string being one octave below middle C. It may sound nice with its traditional tuning, but I can't play it, so I've measured the gauges, calculated the string tensions from the pitch, and reckoned that I could string it GDAEB instead, extending the range at both ends. The low string is five semitones down from C to G, and the high string is four semitones up from G to B.

With that tuning, I match the original overall tension almost exactly if I use a set of medium mandolin strings for the four double courses DAEB. I chose Newtone mediums phosphore bronze, which are .010 to .037. For the single bass string, I calculated that a .056 guitar string would exactly match the original .044 string for tension. The local shop only sold guitar singles in .058 and .052. The heavier of these was impossible muted, but the .052 works pretty well. Not the world's strongest bass, but that's not surprising for that body size and that scale length for a pitch one octave down from the mandolin G, but perfectly serviceable on chord playing if a bit weedy for melodies. They only had steel-wound single guitar strings at that gauge, so I guess I should look for a phosphor bronze one instead.

With these strings, this is a very nice 5-course cittern, tuned like an octave mandolin with an extremely handy additional top string which extends the first position up to the E, which one would need to play on the 12th fret of the OM.

It really is a nice tone, too. Not at all what I was expecting. I was expecting a lower version of the somewhat boomy tone of the German semi-round back mandolins, but this one is much more mellow than that, very complex, and more reminiscent of an old English cittern. I love it.

Martin

Martin Jonas
Jun-09-2006, 2:33pm
Another picture. It's very nice top wood, and a nice colour to the varnish. The bridge is rosewood, and this is proper binding, not transfer print as on cheaper instruments.

Martin

Martin Jonas
Jun-09-2006, 2:34pm
Soundhole and label.

Martin

Martin Jonas
Jun-09-2006, 2:36pm
The back is maple.

Martin

Martin Jonas
Jun-09-2006, 2:38pm
From the side, one sees the nice straight neck and low action. At this scale length, too, normal mandolin fingering is pretty straightforward, so I get the octvae mandolin pitch with mandolin stretches.

Martin

Martin Jonas
Jun-09-2006, 2:39pm
I guess if you have nine strings, you're going to end up with an assymetric headstock. That nut is rosewood, by the way.

Martin

mandoisland
Jun-10-2006, 7:24am
Hello Martin,

I also own a Thüringer Waldzither signed by the brand "Solidi" which I have seen several times on ebay (I also bought a Solidi mandolin in bad condition for a few bucks). I found your considerations about strings very interesting. I stringed my waldzither like you with mandolin strings, but did not use the fifth string, but maybe I will try to add the lower string and tune it like you do. I like the open and clear sound of the Waldzither, sounds a little bit like a 12string acoustic guitar.

Michael

Eugene
Jun-10-2006, 8:06am
Cool. There have been some center-of-head., individual-tuner approaches to maintaining symmetry on things like 7-string guitars. I kinda like your slightly akimbo, wave-like feel to this.

mandoisland
Jun-10-2006, 9:26am
I have added an album with some pictures of my Solidi Waldzither to my Homepage on the
Meine Instrumente (http://www.mandoisland.de/meine_instrumente.html)
page (last entry)
Many Waldzithers had a bridge made of glass, therefore I add a picture where you can see the glass bridge of my Waldzither.

Martin Jonas
Jun-10-2006, 10:44am
Michael,

Thanks for the photos of your waldzither. Pity about that crack. I do wonder what effect the glass bridge would have on the tone. I think my rosewood bridge is original, but the Boehm waldzithers also have a glass bridge and they sound somewhat less resonant than mine. But yes, mine also has a tone a bit like the jingle-jangle of the 12-string guitar.

Your scale length is 3cm longer than mine -- with eight mandolin strings on, do you tune it CGDA? I wonder whether I could also try to go to CGDAE, but it would make for a very thin E-string. Newtone make a super-super-light set with 0.008 to 0.030, so that together with a .044 guitar string could well work.

Eugene -- yes, I like the organic shape of the headstock. On first glance it looks symmetrical and then you notice it's all wonky.

Martin

trevor
Jun-10-2006, 10:55am
Martin,
Great to see your waldzither. I think you will struggle to get the mandolin E with a 17" scale length. As you know I've have had quite a few ten string mandola/mandolins made, all tuned CGDAE. The longest scale being 16".

One batch I had from Jimmy Moon came with his standard mandola scale of 16.5" and I couldn't get an E that worked so Jimmy changed the necks so the scale was 16".

I hope it is possible to get that E with the 17" scale. Let us all know if you succeed.

Fliss
Jun-10-2006, 6:11pm
I had the pleasure of seeing and playing this waldzither on Thursday, when Martin brought it along to the ensemble. I'd never seen one before, or even heard of one until Martin mentioned he'd bought this one.

It really does have a very nice tone, and it was lovely to hear it blending with the mandolins and guitar. I also like the simple, clean-lined look it has, as opposed to the more "funky" ones. I do like the asymetric headstock, though, that definitely is funky.

When Martin says you have mandolin stretches, that is a slight "stretch" though (if you'll pardon me saying so!) I have smaller hands than him, so I guess I noticed the difference more!

Fliss