PDA

View Full Version : David Lee Roth on Leno

RichieK
Jun-07-2006, 12:21am
I missed his 'Strumming with the Devil' spot on Leno.
I think that he was going to do his bluegrass version of 'Jump'.
Who was playing in his band?

Jun-07-2006, 6:18am
My daughter ran out to get me to watch. He had the full Bluegrass band concept going (mandolin, banjo, fiddle, dobro, guitar, standup bass), not that they were bad, but they didn't sound totally tight. Then again, I don't know a lot of BG bands that play Jump. I'm trying to figure out if David Lee is trying to cash in on the Springsteen CD or if it was a goof for him. To be honest I thought it was a little lame. To answer the question of who was playing, maybe someone from California might recognize those guys. I didn't see anyone that I knew. I'm guessing from one or two comments he made during the song that he might have hired them from the union hall.

kyblue
Jun-07-2006, 7:24am
I didn't see it, but one of our local radio stations played some cuts off the CD recently. It was the morning show crew, and they played it for a laugh.

Personally, I thought it was terrible. Sounded like he was making fun of bluegrass to me. Maybe he just doesn't get it. Or, just isn't very good at it!

Paula

fredfrank
Jun-07-2006, 7:31am
I didn't see it either, but here's something from The Bluegrass Blog:

The John Jorgenson Bluegrass Band will be accompanying Roth on these shows: John Jorgenson (mandolin), Brad Davis (guitar), Scott Vestal (banjo), Stuart Duncan (fiddle), Charlie Chadwick (bass), Rob Ickes (Dobro). Jorgenson produced the Van Halen tribute project for CMH, and these pickers recorded tracks with Roth on the CD as well.

link (http://www.thebluegrassblog.com/)

David M.
Jun-07-2006, 10:04am
DLR on Leno link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9TlsVXnBn0&search=david%20lee%20roth%20leno)

David M.
Jun-07-2006, 10:10am
Who's that on fiddle? Lineup above says Stuart Duncan, but not here.

Jun-07-2006, 10:28am
Yeah that was it. It makes me want to run out and not buy the CD. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif

gschmidt
Jun-07-2006, 10:33am
Yeeeeikes.

That would have been MUCH better without DLR. Wow, that was bad.

Actually... the b*njo solo (of all things!) was cool.

carleshicks
Jun-07-2006, 10:34am
It is stuff like that that turns people off of bluegrass.

epicentre
Jun-07-2006, 10:41am
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif Nope!!
Wish I could play as well as any of those musicians, but the gig came across as too glossy; too wannabee.

Kind of insulting to real bluegrass, worse thing is that those guys can play. They probably didn't enjoy it either.

Leave out the guy with the phony smile, and you have a band.

......Now if I could just learn that break where the guy went........

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

gschmidt
Jun-07-2006, 10:45am
Oh NOOOO!

Just a warning... to those of you that may want to watch the video. The darn thing is stuck in my head now.

Make it STOP!!!

straight-a
Jun-07-2006, 10:45am
Don't get too excited folks. There is a bluegrass cover of Motley Crue in the works as we speak! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif It can only get worse.

Jun-07-2006, 11:15am
Last night at rehearsal my band was discussing doing a bluegrass cover of the album version of the Iron Butterfly hit Inagaddadavida. I don't know if any audience could sit through 25 minutes of that.

mandolin123
Jun-07-2006, 11:17am
EEEWWWWWW!

Picking was not bad.

SternART
Jun-07-2006, 11:23am
I liked it!!! Jorgenson laid down a cool mando rhythm & the solos were good all around.
The mando-fiddle twinnin' the melody was cool too. Nickel Creek should cover it!

Ken Sager
Jun-07-2006, 11:34am
I hate to say this, but it opens a bluegrass door for a lot of rockers who may not otherwise give it the time of day...

or...

The rockers all think bluegrass is that bad and continue not giving it the time of day. I'd rather see Leno put a real bluegrass act on stage than lend any more credence to that type of show.

Eeewwww is right.

Greg H.
Jun-07-2006, 11:48am
Now watch. The next thing to come will be Ozzy Osbourne does bluegrass!!!! (My son and I would both die then--even thought neither of us like the other's musical tastes).

JEStanek
Jun-07-2006, 11:55am
This is to bluegrass what Muzak is to jazz.
I need a shower.

Jamie

otterly2k
Jun-07-2006, 12:15pm
I'm sorry...that's just wrong.

gr_store_feet
Jun-07-2006, 12:15pm
That has to be most painful thing I have seen in awhile. I thought David would at least be playing something. He's dorking around twiddling his fingers. He doesn't even know who has the next solo. And the indian call. ouch.

otterly2k
Jun-07-2006, 12:16pm
And let's just say that his vocal style is a bad match for bluegrass...only works in metal.

Gary
Jun-07-2006, 12:23pm
The violinist and bass player play in the john jorgenson quintet...i'm not sure of their names.

Chip Booth
Jun-07-2006, 12:52pm
Ok, that was just awful. I am sorry to David Lee get so low, he was one of my favourite singers when I was growing up.

Nonetheless, that banjo break was awesome!

Chip

Ted Eschliman
Jun-07-2006, 12:58pm
Didn't see last night's clip, but if Gary is correct, Stephan Dudash (http://www.stephandudash.com/stephan.html) violin, and Charlie Chadwick (http://www.thesaturdaynightguitarpull.com/mov/charliechadwick2.htm) bass.

I just downloaded "Strumin' with the Devil" from I-tunes this morning, and at the risk going against previously expressed sentiment, I think this is one of the coolest CDs I've heard in a long time. These guys play well together, convincingly competent, and a generous dose of humor. Jorgenson is nothing short of brilliant.

Lighten up, gang; this one's way too much fun to take seriously!

ronlane3
Jun-07-2006, 1:04pm
It is stuff like that that turns people off of bluegrass.
I'll second that.

However, just because Rob I. and Staurt D. are playing in a band doesn't make it bluegrass. I would just say that this i an acoustic version of Van Halen.

Call it what you want, just don't expect it to be in my CD player.

mrbook
Jun-07-2006, 1:12pm
When they announced David Lee Roth at the start of the show, I turned to my daughter and said, "I think he will do something from his new bluegrass album." She look at me and said, "Get outta here" and went to bed.

Either they need a bit more practice, or maybe great players don't always make great music. Maybe they just need to lose the singer, who seemed to be floundering around out there.

Chadly
Jun-07-2006, 1:15pm
So my brother calls me up this morning and tells me about seeing this last night on Leno. He said it was great and he felt the performance gave a certain credibility to the music. I assumed he was talking about Bluegrass giving credibility to David Lee Roth:) I thought that was pretty funny!

Obviously my brother doesn't know much about Bluegrass!

Chad

farmerjones
Jun-07-2006, 1:28pm
now i gotta go dump another ton a dirt on Big Mon's grave.
He's starting to squirm.

that ain't no part a nothin'.

ronlane3
Jun-07-2006, 1:59pm
farmerjones, you might want to make that two just to be safe. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

gr_store_feet
Jun-07-2006, 2:31pm
I don't know how that quote thing works

I have no doubt the CD maybe fun to listen to. I am into the concept of the covers. I not going to begin to call it bluegrass. I am saying that performance was horrible.

Elliot Luber
Jun-07-2006, 2:37pm
I guess the Devil made his appearance on 6/6/6, and we've all risen to defence of mankind.:p

jmcgann
Jun-07-2006, 3:10pm
I didn't see it, but John Jorgenson is one of the great musicians of our time.

Like it or not!

otterly2k
Jun-07-2006, 3:33pm
I have no doubt they are fine musicians... too bad they were stuck behind a bad concept and mismatched front man. I'm all for covers, crossover and fusion... but sometimes it just doesn't go well and you get a kind of cultural train wreck.

To me, this is one of those times, and I hope it goes the way of the jalapeno bagel.

SternART
Jun-07-2006, 3:41pm
uuuummmmmm!!!!!!!! jalapeno bagels!!!!

Brady Smith
Jun-07-2006, 3:46pm
In general the crossover #### is bad....but that was just disturbing!!

JEStanek
Jun-07-2006, 3:53pm
Well, that was one track (that we now have had to see) off of a CD that looks like it might have some talent on it(Grisman does Hot for Teacher?!?!). Sadly amazon doesn't have other clips to check out (and 30 seconds might be enough). I've heard the bluegrass banjo version of Purple Haze... equally disturbing.

Has anyone actually bought the CD? Check out Black and Bluegrass for Ozzy Covers by stringband musicians. Wow.

Jamie

Ted Eschliman
Jun-07-2006, 3:54pm
uuuummmmmm!!!!!!!! jalapeno bagels!!!!
"According to legend, the world's first bagel was produced in 1783 as a tribute to Jan Sobieski, King of Poland. The king, a renowned horseman, had just saved the people of Austria from an onslaught by Turkish invaders. In gratitude, a local baker shaped yeast dough into the shape of stirrup to honor him and called it the Austrian word for stirrup, beugel. The roll soon became a hit throughout Eastern Europe. Over time, its shape evolved into a circle with a hole in the center and its named was converted to its modern form, bagel."

Jalapeno, Oh MY!

Better throw a couple shovels of dirt on the grave of King Sobieski. How dare someone pervert tradition...

jmcgann
Jun-07-2006, 4:03pm
Yeah Ted- let's go one further:

Bluegrass wouldn't exist if Bill Monroe didn't have the cajones (Spanish for "vision") to combine "black blues" with "country music" and (gasp) "jazz".

Read: If Mr. Monroe was as musically conservative as many of his torch bearers, the music never woulda been born! Old time music would have stayed old time. EVERY change in music is met with howls of outrage from somebody- be it Dawg music, or Joe Derrane changing the face of traditional Irish accordion music, or The Beatles, or Hendrix, or Louis Armstrong, or Charlie Parker.... YMMV but I know I'm right. "Don't innovate!"

I'm not saying those guys were innovating anything BTW-I didn't see the show, just responding to the anti-sentiment...particularly since the guitarist in question is one of the great players of our time, whether or not you like everything he plays on...check out his "Franco-American Swing" CD!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Flowerpot
Jun-07-2006, 4:30pm
I think the anti sentiment is directed toward the fact that it just didn't work. I watched the video on youtube and it was painful; I felt bad for everybody on stage. It was a mishmash of styles that didn't mix. Not only did they fail to create anything new, it was plain bad, an idea that should have been scrapped after the first rehearsal.

I'd recommend going to youtube and listening to the performance before you make any kind of comparisons with Monroe, Parker, Louis Armstrong, and the like -- I do understand the point, but this was NOT innovation, it was an experiment that didn't work. It was an unhappy marriage of two styles with a front man who didn't know how to bridge the gap.

JEStanek
Jun-07-2006, 5:24pm
John and Ted,
I really, really respect both of you. But that clip was brutal. I bet if we took tape of that back 20 years ago and showed it to DLR and told him this was his future... well I bet terrible things would happen.

There were some cool musical elements (esp. the banjo break) in that clip but taken as a whole, for me, it was a train wreck. I'm going back to my Woodsongs clip of Compton and Long.

Jamie

mando-rando
Jun-07-2006, 5:51pm
Saw it and wished I hadn't. David Lee Roth needs to stay the heck away from bluegrass especially with that constant ear to ear smile the whole song, kinda creeps me out.

groveland
Jun-07-2006, 6:47pm
I think it's a stunt, that's all. He was the Clown Prince of Rock, don't forget.

kyblue
Jun-07-2006, 6:48pm
Flowerpot

Well said.

Paula

delsbrother
Jun-07-2006, 6:55pm
OK, didn't think DLR's vocal stylings worked especially well on that clip (something tells me being on stage after years of being a paramedic might have amped him up a little). But c'mon, it was FUN! I defy any of you who were big Van Halen fans to not crack a smile when the banjo guy NAILED EVH's keyboard solo.

If you weren't Van Halen fans to begin with, and weren't expecting something tounge-in-cheek, I doubt you'd buy this album anyway. No one's trying to win over any converts (to either genre) here, IMO. I'm probably buying this and filing it away with other "Pickin' On.." stuff.

And forget about Big Mon, what did EVH have to say about it? Last time I saw him he didn't look long for this earth..

Darrell

ps Is Eruption on the disc?

jmcgann
Jun-07-2006, 6:55pm
Flowerpot:

I'd recommend going to youtube and listening to the performance before you make any kind of comparisons with Monroe, Parker, Louis Armstrong, and the like -- I do understand the point, but this was NOT innovation,

Me:
I'm not saying those guys were innovating anything BTW
=======

I'm with Delsbrother on this http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

=======

OK, saw the clip. Who cares about innovation*? Does anyone who knows anything about rock and roll expect DLR to come out and sing bluegrass credibly? He did "his thing" to a bluegrass type arrangement- "entertainment for the people". It got some musicians who could play their asses off in front of a national TV audience- that's good for "the music".

OF COURSE Bluegrass fans would hate it! It's not aimed at "you", I don't think- they are shooting for a wider audience. It didn't appeal to me in the way that great bluegrass does, but I enjoyed it for what it was- bluegrass flavored pop music. That is a pretty decent pop song, especially in it's 1984 Van Halen setting...

I'm sure Eddie Van Halen was as upset as the hardcore bluegrass crowd...speaking of innovators #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

*WE do, of course- but we are a small portion of "the music marketplace". I'd rather have seen AKUS or The Johnson Mountain Boys or Hot Rize or Psychograss or the DGQ (who were on the Tonight Show once upon a time)...

At least DLR skipped the spandex!

otterly2k
Jun-07-2006, 6:58pm
yeah, I'm with Flowerpot and Jaime on this one...

I am defintely NOT anti-innovation, and I tend to like all sorts of experimental and unusual stuff. And most of the time even if something is not my cup of tea, I can appreciate the creative process and courage to try out a new idea. I just didn't really see it here... I can only HOPE it was a stunt.

lkb3rd
Jun-07-2006, 9:34pm
I thought the band was good and i thought he was pretty bad. He looked uncomfortable and awkward. I too got a good chuckle at the banjo rendition of Eddie's keyboard riffs.
FWIW, i am a big Van Halen fan and would rank him in his prime among the best ever rock and roll frontmen, but that... Yikes!

James P
Jun-07-2006, 9:53pm
Yes, sometimes I love having a day job.

Darren Kern
Jun-07-2006, 10:41pm
Some rock sounds good converted to bluegrass, and most does not. Van Halen, flat out does not. My group plays the song "Hot Dog" by Led Zeppelin. We think it sounds better as a bluegrass song than a rock song. If anybody is familiar with that song, you know what I'm talking about. Stuff like Hayseed Dixie or whatever that group is called, the one that does AC/DC covers, that's novelty music. You hear a few minutes of it and it makes you laugh, but it's not anything people would really listen to, IMHO.

mandocrucian
Jun-07-2006, 10:50pm
Too bad I missed it. Sounds like it might have been pretty entertaining. After hearing such atrocities such as Pyschograss' Third Stone From The Sun (which I loathe), having the torture coming from the other direction sounds really karmic!

NH

Corbin Smith
Jun-07-2006, 11:40pm
You didn't miss it yet. #I just saw it Here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp6e321eOLs&search=roth%20leno.

And you can stream the full length of all DLRs songs here: http://www.cmt.com/artists/az/roth_david_lee/1191974/album.jhtml

Considering I was a huge DLR fan when I was a kid, and am now a bluegrass man, I may be bias, but I like the concept. #I even really like a few of the tunes. #(Although Jump was not one of my favorites.) #And yes, I agree, David looked uncomfortable and out of his element on Leno's stage. #But regardless of the performance, I thought the picking was tight and the guys had a blast arranging this album. #I honestly don't see the harm done. #To those who would make fun of bluegrass after watching this clip, I bet ten bucks they would make fun of it anyway. #If it gets a few more people to watch some hot banjo and guitar licks, all the power to it in my book.

mustache
Jun-08-2006, 3:35am
I am a huge DLR fan. I think that he is one of the best rock frontmen ever.
But he lost the plot a long time ago, and if even if you stick him in front of the best band in the world these days he is going to stink up the place. Why do you think the rest of the VH boys aren't playing with him anymore?
Anyway, I do love good bluegrass covers of rock songs and I am interested to hear some reviews of the tracks that don't feature DLR on the new album.

martinedwards
Jun-08-2006, 3:46am
Well, Hayseed Dixie turned me onto bluegrass & Mandos to the point that I'm currently building my third......

If it opens the door to others to trad folk then its a

good

thing!!!

AlanN
Jun-08-2006, 5:51am
Vestal was the perfect banjo for this, Ickes fit in too.

JEStanek
Jun-08-2006, 7:49am
The Grisman tune Hot for Teacher was cool. Thanks for the CMT link, LivinSimple. Grisman's hammer-on for Eddie's riffs and the fiddle break were cool. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif Novel, but cool.

Jamie

Jun-08-2006, 8:16am
I put this song in the same vein as Robert Goulet doing James Taylor's Fire and Rain back in the 70's. If I recall it was labeled as the worst recording ever made by a national publication. It wasn't that the backup musicians couldn't play. It wasnt that he couldn't sing. It wasn't that the material was bad. It just didn't work.

Jerry Garcia opened up a door for people with Old and in the Way because he knew the material and was genuine. David Lee Roth isn't going to open any door with this one.

I'm not against cross overs. Let's put it this way. Take David Lee Roth out of the picture and substitue an unknown singer. Would you watch it twice? Probably not.

newbreedbrian
Jun-08-2006, 11:06am
Man, that was just awful. I've never seen a frontman that looked more out of place. Can the guys play? I don't think anyone would doubt that, especially if you know their other work. He definately got some top notch pickers. It would be nice if the general public got to hear the best that bluegrass musicians can offer instead of novelty trash. Anyone remember the dance version of Cotton Eyed Joe *shudder*? Anyone wanna suggest a parallel with Monroe breaking new ground with that one? In the grand scheme of things I guess it doesn't really matter. Fact is, majority of the population is completely content to keep digesting bland, watered down, overproduced pop music. Their loss, they'll never understand the simple beauty of a great bluegrass song (or jazz, reggae, country, etc etc etc). To those of us that music actually means something to, we're very lucky people. If it was apparent that DLR genuinely had interest in bluegrass/acoustic music and the project worked I'd be all for it. Look at Steve Earle working with Norman Blake, DMB, Peter Rowan etc. Both those albums are really good. Same with Dolly Parton.

Keith Erickson
Jun-08-2006, 11:27am
In the whole Sammy Hagar & David Lee Roth conflict in the mid 80's, I took Roth's side.

Maybe DLR understands that there are many of us former hard rockers turning to bluegrass and he wants to be a part of it. #Maybe he reads the Mandolin Cafe??? #Howdy Dave!!! # You're awesome!!!!

Conventional wisdom says that whatever the popular belief is: i.e. This is an aweful project...

...tells me that I should get this CD. #I for one like when folks push the envelope and branch into other things.

Way to go Dave # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

You've got my utmost respect #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

levin4now
Jun-08-2006, 3:30pm
It appeared he had a smile that was stuck on his face (by a cosmetic surgeon). I felt uncomfortable watching the clip. I'd like to hear others, but I didn't think that "jump" was that good. (talking about this version - I loved the other version in 8th grade or whatever)

ms amanda jones
Jun-08-2006, 3:58pm
Fun. Thanks for the links.

Bands sound awful on Leno. It's the law. Who does the sound? Eek.

an uncalloused fingertip
Jun-08-2006, 5:20pm
Longtime VH fan. It could've been worse. The bluegrass musicians played their parts well enough ... seven musicians coexisting on stage with an egomanic - and none appeared intoxicated and sloppy (unlike Eddie on tour in 2004).

Of course DLR is out of his element. He needs some electric ... or at least some brass. He always was more of an entertainer than a singer, yet I think he sounded good enough for a VH reunion tour. But it better be soon though (before Eddie perishes at last of alcohol abuse).

Rook

P.S. - And it appears DLR finally got the hint and got rid of the wig/hair extentions

AmosMoses
Jun-08-2006, 5:33pm
I have to weigh in on this. Until this video clip i had never seen or heard a crossover rock/bluegrass song. Being a fan of both (bluegrass for half dozen yrs.), I found it very entertaining. The audience seemed to enjoy it and I'm sure it will recruit a picker or two. The hardcore rockers were probably more aghast than us blue-grassers.

David did look like he was floundering. Even if he had a guitar and faked playing, it would have been better. No his voice doesn't suit BG but then again you wouldn't want him to try sounding like Big Mon.

Professor PT
Jun-08-2006, 6:00pm
There's definitely an odd feeling when you see DLR with short hair trying to do Bluegrass. The musicians are quite good; I'm guessing they feel pretty silly. Looks like ole Dave is down on his luck enough to try something like this...I doubt he even knows who Bill Monroe is.

Greg H.
Jun-08-2006, 9:02pm
After a couple of listens I've come to the conclusion that they're all great. . . .uh. . . .just not together. If we were just listening to that band cutting loose (on that song even) the vibrations from Cafe member jaws hitting the floor would probably be measureable on the Richter scale. Conversly, if DLR had a drum kit, electric bass, and electric guitar with him I think it would have been a top notch show. Some people just don't benefit from the switch in genres. Of course some do, Jorgenson is a prime example there (going from lead guitarist for Elton John to stellar Gipsy Jazz guitarist to top flight bluegrass mandolinist). Indeed, some of this could be Jorgenson trying to help others switch between genres (Jorgenson did produce the CD, didn't he?). But, in this case, I don't feel like this square peg is going to fit in that round hole.

delsbrother
Jun-08-2006, 10:05pm
OK, I just bought this thing (AmoebaLA saleswoman: "Those? Oh, go look in the used bin, there are PLENTY!" LOL). Gave the whole thing a listen..

You people who think it's a Sign of the Apocalypse need to get a grip. The album's fine - and at times it's freakin' brilliant. Now granted most of these brilliant moments are sans DLR (though I thought "Jamie's Cryin'" worked nicely as a ballad). And I concede that in order to like this album at all you MUST be a fan of BOTH genres (trust me, EVH fans are not keen on the concept either). Much of it would not sound out of place on any contemporary BG band offering (uh.. duh).

Highlights for a fan of both styles with an open mind/ear:

"I'll Wait" and "Feel Your Love Tonight" - basically throw away VH tunes that work well in this context..

"Runnin' With the Devil" and "And the Cradle Will Rock" - John Cowan singing DLR - !?!

"Hot for Teacher" - OK, lots of images to get out of my head: Dawg strutting down a runway with screaming models all around him - then finally kneeling and pointing a (blacked out) headstock at me; the DGQ dancing/spinning in tuxedos; Tony Rice in a straightjacket..

"Unchained" - for including the "One break, coming up!" line.

"Eruption" was fine, I guess (hard to top the original on an instrument with absolutely no sustain).

The absolute best track on the album is "Could This be Magic" with the NBB. Talk about a LOL moment - the song works, Compton et. al. are great, and it sounds nothing like the original. Very cool.

Now if you were against this album from the start, I would suggest not reading the liner notes, as they are almost Srinivasian in their praise/hype.. But all in all a fun record.

Lighten up, Francis!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

mustache
Jun-08-2006, 11:03pm
Thanks for the review. I'm still having nightmares after watching that Leno performance, but I might buy this thing for the tracks without DLR singing. I don't think I would even dare to listen to the DLR tracks...

John Jesseph
Jun-09-2006, 8:07am
Dave has excellent posture.

halfamind
Jun-09-2006, 9:39am
Sorry Diamond Dave... not working for me. I'll take Aztec Camera's version of Jump over this any day...

I could just be middle-aged and crotchety, but I'm a little bit over the whole "bluegrassification" of rock songs. Don't get me wrong, my band plays many a rock song with mando and banjo (and have been for 25 years), but we're not laying a nouvelle-trendy stylistic dogma onto them... we just play them how they fall out of us.

Dave just seems to be jumping onto the latest bandwagon.

...that said, I've got plenty of Hayseed Dixie and the Gourds in the CD rack.

billy parker
Jun-09-2006, 10:20am
Live and let live baby; They all seem to be having fun

Greg H.
Jun-09-2006, 11:29am
Ok, to put a caveat on my earlier statement, my response is ONLY to the Leno performance. There may be far better material on the album than what I heard on Leno. But, that performance is supposed to help sell the album and on that I still maintain that the band and the lead singer just didn't click.

Keith Erickson
Jun-09-2006, 12:27pm
You know you can say what you want about Dave, but there's a lot to say about the man.

Yes he was one of the best front man for a rock band in history. #He's was on top of his game and he also was at the bottom of the bottom. #His kind was turned out to pasture when grundge was the "thing" to do in the 1990's. #Let's not forget that some of Daves' colleagues even died from drugs, alcohol, car accidents and even AIDS.

If Dave wanted to do Van Halen tunes with Weird Al on the accordian, that's his business.

The main thing is the man is alive today and he has the right to sing whatever he wants. #He looks great and he looks happy. #

Okay he lóóked a little off balance on the Leno show. But we don't know what was going on up on that stage that night. #Something could have been happening like lighting or whatever that we didn't see in our living rooms.

...but again he's alive and he's doing what he wants to do. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

OregonMike
Jun-09-2006, 1:00pm
Any one know where the mando tab for Running with the Devil is?

Somewhere over on the David Lee Roth Cafe board there is a parallel thread going on where all the VH purists are equally aghast... (a b-a-n-j-o???)

Really though even bad music is better than none at all.

Lee
Jun-09-2006, 4:25pm
Mercifully, the video has been removed to protect the innocent.

TonyP
Jun-09-2006, 4:45pm
I've been watching from the sidelines after seeing the video for myself. Much of what was said was true, pro and con, but the sound was so bad I was holding judgement. I was into VH before they hit the bigtime and Jump was when I wrote them off as just another mainstream hair band. So on the video, it seemsd like you had good pickers, a bad front man, bad material and then bad sound. And except for bad sound, kinda the same MO as VH again, for me. But did anybody catch last nite on the Late Late show with Criag what'sisname, DLR was on? He did an interview that sometimes seemed sane, and others the butter never even touched the pancake. Then they did Jump again, this time it seemed smoother, more together, but still with DLR looking stiff and that "smile" that looked more like one of those guys that had been on a rocket sled so long it had distorted his face. Still in my book, a waste of time/talent on all sides. Painful to see how weird "a good idea, bad execution" has once again made strange bedfellows.

an uncalloused fingertip
Jun-09-2006, 6:05pm
I heard the other clips (from the CMT site) and think I will get this CD.

I wonder what the Van Halen brothers are thinking right now. DLR is part of a new VH related CD (that is receiving attention), and Sammy Hagar and Michael Anthony are on tour as "The Other Half" ... playing VH songs with their own guitarist and drummer.

Rook

P.S. - If you visit classicvanhalen.com, there is an Eddie Van Halen playing/smashing a (bowlback) mandolin thread ... with pictures

mustache
Jun-10-2006, 3:02am
let me just tell you all, I met this guy a few years back and it definitely aint stage lighting or anything else that maybe DLR look "off balance" on Leno. He is off balance.

Joe Mangio
Jun-10-2006, 8:56am
It was a good example of what Bluegrass isn't.