PDA

View Full Version : Repro cases for vintage Gibson's

MandoGordon
Jun-05-2006, 10:48am
I was up at Graves Mountain BG Festival over the weekend and got talking to Dennis Reamy at Cedar creek cases about perhaps having him build a custom case based on the original circa 1920's case that I have. They have a machine that will take all relevant measurements etc inside and out and he thinks he could make a very consistent replacement for the one I have that's falling apart. Obviously this is not going to be a cheap case considering all the effort that would have to go into making it but he did say that the price could drop drastically if I could find a few other folks that might be interested in the same case. Bran Dillard from Pickers Supply was there and he said that he would be willing to supply any of his vintage cases for scanning and that he might consider stocking a few of these for his vintage customers. So.... anyone think they might be interested in a repro vintage case to keep their precious baby safe from the elements? We were thinking standard A and F styles could be covered although we would need to figure out how many of what to make and which mandos fit which case etc.

Just a thought, anyone interested?
Gordon

carleshicks
Jun-05-2006, 11:06am
Yes I would be interested in a case for my '25 A-4. I have been looking at Cedar creek cases web sight and was concidering talking to them about a Loar style F-5 case similar to The Gww or Master Model case only at Cedar Creeks cases standard of quality. i like Gww but they are made out of the country I would rather buy American.
Count me in for and A style case just let me know haw much it is.

Loren Bailey
Jun-05-2006, 11:35am
If it's not too much I'd be interested.

Loren

Bob DeVellis
Jun-05-2006, 11:53am
I have a 1913 A-3 in a mogrel case and might be interested in a new copy of an original, depending on price.

reverhar
Jun-05-2006, 12:16pm
Yes, I would be interested in an Gibson A-style repro. Let me know the details. Thanks.

Dan Cohen
Jun-05-2006, 12:51pm
I am also interested as long as the price isn't too far up there. What are you thinking for pricing?

1927 Gibson A.

MandoGordon
Jun-05-2006, 1:44pm
Looks like we might have a workable scenario. I'll call and get a ball park cost and we'll go from there.
Gordon

Mike Bunting
Jun-06-2006, 4:25pm
I could be interested in both an A and an F type case.

Baron Collins-Hill
Jun-06-2006, 4:32pm
put this post in the general section and the vintage section and you might find more omterested folks. ill buy a case if someone gives me avintage gibson to put in it...

any takers? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

no seriously...

baron

fatt-dad
Jun-06-2006, 5:12pm
I'd also like to know the details. I'll be taking delivery of a mandolin sometime next year and it comes without a case. I'd like an oblong (i.e., rectangular) Loar-type case for it.

fatt not-in-any-hurry-and-I-live-near-the-cedar-creek-factory dad

tin ben dur
Jun-06-2006, 8:00pm
I ordered a vintage style case from GWW a couple of weeks ago. Yes it does look like they are made in Costa Rica, but does that mean even the custom orders. There is another thread on this topic in the pic section. My custom F case is supposed to be black with green interior vintage Loar style arched top. I talked to Jeff and he said no problem but it will take about 8 weeks. Look on the picture page at the Loar replicas, I think.

kudzugypsy
Jun-07-2006, 9:22pm
i would think to build them RIGHT would put the cost around $400 - i'm talking period correct interior material, hardware, etc.

Big Joe
Jun-08-2006, 2:11pm
GWW does not build the Master Model cases for Gibson.

J. Mark Lane
Jun-08-2006, 3:25pm
Howdy, Gordon.

Can you post a picture of the case you have that may be the model for the Cedar Creek effort? I may very well be interested in adding my name to the list of buyers on this one.

Dennis is great to deal with. He took my order for a custom double F style case, and it turned out great, for a very reasonable price.

danb
Jun-08-2006, 7:46pm
Well, you can still get a decent vintage one off ebay for $300-350 almost every other week..

Dan Cohen
Jun-09-2006, 6:10am
i would think to build them RIGHT would put the cost around $400 - i'm talking period correct interior material, hardware, etc.

I'm out. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

MandoGordon
Jun-09-2006, 12:44pm
Hmmm.... I think I'm getting out of my depth here. The best thing would be to call Bran at Pickers Supply since he is the guy with all the answers. His number is 800-830-4669. I just talked with him and he is going down to Cedar Creek next week with a couple of A style cases to see what can be done and what kind of prices will have to be charged. Let him know you are interested because the more cases he can have built the better the price will be. He also has an F-2 case in stock that he will get scanned if anyone is interested in one of those. When you call make sure you ask for Bran.
Gordon
ps. Phew, did you notice how I handed off all that responsibility? It's Miller time (actually Dogfish Head time but that's another story) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mandroid
Jun-16-2006, 4:01pm
reproduction of Lacqered fabric covering too? Vinyl coverings lack of durability has to sell a lot of case covers , and duct tape over time and travel..