PDA

View Full Version : Poor Richard's Almanac

levin4now
Jun-04-2006, 7:13am
I've heard of this album for awhile and was reading about it this morning in Rosenberg's book. Is it still being sold? If not, how can I get to hear it?

Also, in another older thread, someone mentions that it might also be called "...together again, for the first time", but I thought that was a different album.

Either way, I'd like to have/hear both.

Pete Martin
Jun-04-2006, 8:08pm
"Together Again" is my favorite mando CD of any kind, but has been out of print forever. My guess is it will never be issued again. "Poor Richards" was on CD for a while, dont know if it is still available.

Mike Beatty
Jun-05-2006, 4:11pm
They are both very good and I wish they were still in print. I searched for several years before I found copies.:mandosmiley: #

levin4now,I PM'd you. Check your messenger inbox.

Mike B.

JimRichter
Jun-05-2006, 7:01pm
This is one I've had on vinyl for a couple dozen years (actually it was one of the very first albums I bought as a young teen getting into bluegrass--thank goodness for Elderly's fantastic hand-illustrated catalogs back in those days). #I've been meaning to transfer it over to CD. #Would be happy to make you a duplicate if I do that.

Also, I forgot to add that I have converted Together Again for the First Time to CD and have made copies for people. Would be happy to provide a copy of this as well.

Jim

levin4now
Jun-06-2006, 8:02am
Thanks alot everybody for your help, answers, offers. Alot of you have contacted me offline, which is great, but it means I'm not always checking this thread. So Jim, thanks for the help, but it appears I'll be taken care of.

ira
Jun-06-2006, 9:26pm
i'm quite interested and have read a ton about ben franklin, but i assume this is a musical selection/band that i am not familiar with to this point. please educate me.

thanks so much,
ira

Mike Beatty
Jun-06-2006, 9:37pm
The Poor Richard's Almanac we are referring to is a recording by Sam Bush and Alan Munde recorder and released in 1969.
You can find a little more information at this website

http://members.chello.at/bluegrass.newgrass/gazette1.htm

They recorded a second album about 6 years later called "Together Again for the First Time"

Mike B.

levin4now
Jun-07-2006, 7:11am
"Together Again for the First Time" - I think that's such a great title for an album - very witty.

levin4now
Jun-07-2006, 7:13am
Also, I was not aware of the Ben Franklin tie-in.

AlanN
Jun-07-2006, 7:20am
The extensive liner notes to that album are well worth the read. Written by a Dr. William H. Koon, they go into exhaustive description of the songs, session environment, player bios, etc. The cover shot was done in the winter time and has Sam and Alan approaching one another, shaking hands. Sam looks like he is carrying an A case. Always wanted to ask him "What was in that case, Sam?" http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Mike Beatty
Jun-07-2006, 8:29am
I've never seen the liner notes. Anyone have them and willing to scan them? I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks
Mike B.

ira
Jun-07-2006, 8:51am
thanks for the info. always liked the flying buritto bros. interesting stuff, and i bet its a great album.

levin4now
Jun-07-2006, 9:23am
What A is that, that Sam is holding in the small picture in the link given to us earlier in this thread? (that might answer "what's in the case?")

Scotti Adams
Jun-07-2006, 3:30pm
..wasnt it a CE Ward A50 conversion? If I remember correctly Doyle told me that he and Sam owned the only 2 like it.

JimRichter
Jun-07-2006, 3:40pm
I don't know if the A5 is the same one, but Sam did play a Randy Wood A5 and that's the mandolin you hear on the first NGR album (the green one on Starday) and you see Sam restringing in the Jack Tottle book. #After Sam got Hoss, the A5 ended up--I believe--at the Pickin Parlor where my buddy Brian Lappin bought it. #Brian no longer has it, cause I believe he sold or traded it to some guy out West not long after he got it. #

That could be a CE Ward conversion though, cause I think I've heard/read that somewhere too.

Jim