PDA

View Full Version : greek silverwounds,

jeffshuniak
Apr-12-2004, 11:01am
greek silverwounds, or silverwounds anykind

I dont know if its reasonable at all, considering my arrangment with mr mari, but I am curious, if I want to try different brands, what could be some suggestions?

(for a greek mandolin , "if you dont know me by now" la, la, la, puke, puke)

vkioulaphides
Apr-13-2004, 7:18am
There are the Mastro Strings, circulated by Mátsikas, although I don't know whether they are actually made by his company. There are also many, many others...

Considering, however, your arrangement with Dan Marí, and the unfavorable exchange rate between the dollar and the euro, I doubt it that you could get anything for under $3; that really is a rock-bottom price.

As for quality, I suppose they are all roughly the same. Why do you ask? In the interest of variety, I would also try super-light bronzewounds on your baby; see what you think.

jeffshuniak
Apr-13-2004, 8:02am
I was wondering about the bronze, I look at them in my bag... I have been bottled into this thinking that the silvers are for greeks, the bronze for italian...
I am scared or the dogals from what I hear, I figure my mario baby will be more braced and better for these so I am saving them.. maybe I am silly?

I dont know why,, I have not been totally thrilled with mari's ,but yet I am sure most of my problems are self induced. last friday, I broke both D strings at the same time, while playing L'ultimo ... swear to god, thats not a heavy picking song...you know. I had been picking heavy earlier, that surely is a problem, I used to play f styles with rigid tension, I have to tone down my brutality with the pick. anyway thats another chat..

but the A strings break a lot, I have to string them up, super super slow.... I dont get them to pitch for probably an hour... is that normal?
If tune them even half way, right off, the break at the loop, every time.. but if I go super super super exponentially super slow,, the dont break...

vkioulaphides
Apr-13-2004, 8:18am
Hmm... no strings break that easily, Jeff; at least, no strings SHOULD break that easily. I have used Mari strings and other, super-light silverwounds for many years and have rarely had that problem. Of course, I have in fact broken a string or two on occasion but, you know, on average, nothing exceptionally fragile to these.

Are you s-u-r-e there is no string-chocking knick somewhere in the nut or the grooves? Also, is your pick smooth enough and carefully beveled? Yes, the A-strings are by far the most breakable ones (ye experts, remind me of the physics involved) but, seriously, now...

Bringing strings up to tension gradually is a good, wholesome idea http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif I can think of nothing wrong with it. But what you describe is next to incredible. I cannot imagine such a casualty-rate! Are the posts of the tuning machines perhaps somewhat sharp at the edge? Do you rub some lead into the grooves?

I don't know that I would use Dogals on your Dino-mando; too much pressure on the top and it will cave in— a lot more than intended! But GHS lights (for starters) have never hurt any of my Greek, flat-top, delicately braced mandos; I expect yours to withstand them just as well. Now, on the subject of taste, well... no accounting for that.

jeffshuniak
Apr-13-2004, 8:33am
well a few monthes ago, I got fed up and #I plowed thru all my packs inspecting the A's.... I found a couple that were broken already right out of the bag... I mailed them to Mr Mari so he could see the string had not been bent on a string post or anything...( I spoke of my difficulties) he admitted I may have purchased a bunk dozen, now I got two dozen last time, and I dont know which dozen I am working out of. so I really got to give him more time to access , I do like HIM personally, his strings sound really nice and full, and the price , you cant beat.

but I do like to switch things up now and then.

and ps. he did send me a slew of A strings , but it is annoying to deal with still... but for potential buyers dont let my experience scare you away, this guys family has been making strings for many years, for real...

Martin Jonas
May-06-2004, 8:20am
but the A strings break a lot, I have to string them up, super super slow.... I dont get them to pitch for probably an hour... is that normal?
If tune them even half way, right off, the break at the loop, every time.. but if I go super super super exponentially super slow,, the dont break...
Just picking up on an old thread. Jeff -- I was wondering whether your string breakage problem might be related to a tailpiece that has the hooks just over the edge. I have one of those on my Majestic, and I found this (http://209-239-165-10.oak.inreach.net/FRETSPages/Musician/Mandolin/MandoString/mandostring1.html) page very useful, in particular the advice to pre-bend the loop with a pencil tip before putting it on the tailpiece.

Martin

vkioulaphides
May-06-2004, 9:02am
[QUOTE]"...the advice to pre-bend the loop with a pencil tip before putting it on the tailpiece."

Of course. Don't we all do so? Still, Jeff's question nags me; why so much and such frequent breakage? I cannot imagine...

jeffshuniak
May-06-2004, 10:49am
actually I have been breaking D strings in my gigs. they come unthreaded right at the bridge. #only if I leave them on for over a week. back to my tedious string changing every week and if I get more gigs, like it looks like, weeknights, I guess I may have to start changing mid week also. maybe I play too heavy? I dont know, it doenst sound like I am beating the crap of my strings or anything, I usually record, and listen later. I dont play exceptionally loud or choppy. I dunno what to say. the ghs didnt give me any problem and the "mari" strings I recieved from dino as "dino" strings, well they seemed to last longer too. I truely think I got a bunk batch of strings.

jeffshuniak
May-06-2004, 10:54am
I intend to order another dozen next week , along with bazouki strings. what else can I do? the ghs cost a buck or so more, that adds up and I probably would change strings alot anyway bc its so humid here the strings get gritty and rough real fast.

vkioulaphides
May-06-2004, 12:15pm
[QUOTE]"...the strings get gritty and rough..."

AHA! Might THAT be the problem? (i.e. too much friction)