PDA

View Full Version : Baby

red7flag
Jun-01-2006, 9:28am
Just picked up the 12 fret F4 Don Paine made for me.
The sound is sweet, but has a full bass.
Tony

red7flag
Jun-01-2006, 9:28am
Headstock

red7flag
Jun-01-2006, 9:29am

red7flag
Jun-01-2006, 9:30am
Back

red7flag
Jun-01-2006, 9:32am
Neck. Enjoy. I am loving playing Celtic and fiddle tunes on this Baby.
Tony

Lane Pryce
Jun-01-2006, 9:35am
Very sweet --- congratulations on the new addition. Lp

John M. Riley
Jun-01-2006, 10:12am
wow, nice mandolin. How does it chop and can you play much straight forward bluegrass on it?

red7flag
Jun-01-2006, 10:19am
At first I tried to play it like my Collings and it just didn't work. Then, I tried some Celtic and fiddle tunes and the sound came popping out. Now, when I go back to the grass sounds better. I am getting a much better sound from it now. I think that is more me adapting to its strengths. It does not have the chop of the Collings, but was not intended to. I was really looking for a different sound. I am very pleased. I will give a full review after about a week.
Tony

ira
Jun-01-2006, 10:36am
beautiful in it's simplicity! congrats

kyblue
Jun-01-2006, 10:43am
Nice looking mando!

Paula

first string
Jun-01-2006, 11:17am
I always figured if one wanted an oval hole, it made the most sense to just look for an old A3 or A4. I think I may have just changed my mind. Beautiful.

J. Mark Lane
Jun-01-2006, 11:44am
Congrats on the new baby. It would be fun to compare it to mine, which I think is very similar except with the "modern" neck/fretboard approach. How is it braced?

JD Cowles
Jun-01-2006, 12:06pm
Beautiful. #You're not really helping my desire to call Don with these pics...I noticed the same thing with my A2-the fiddle tunes really ring. #Still haven't figured out how to grassify it, but don't really care to.

You mentioned that you "just picked it up" Tony. #Are you a Coloradoan by chance?

Again congrats on a beautiful mandolin.

straight-a
Jun-01-2006, 12:12pm
Beautiful burst. Excellent!

red7flag
Jun-01-2006, 12:52pm
Bill, Picked it up from the post office in lovely downtown Charlotte, Tennessee. Didn't want to wait til they delivered it. As far as bracing...well without a dental tool...I think most oval holes have X bracing. I am going to Robin Smith tomorrow and will have him check for me. Mark, if I ever get back to the NE would love to AB it with you. If you come this way, you are more than invited to come over.
Tony

JEStanek
Jun-01-2006, 1:18pm
Wow, another typical Pomeroy... Meaning, absoutely beautifully executed! That's is a great looking mandolin, Tony. Congrats to you and Don. I love the satin finish.

Jamie

otterly2k
Jun-01-2006, 1:49pm
I agree... tasteful burst (and I don't usually like bursts) and very classy satin finish.
sounds great too, no doubt.

red7flag
Jun-02-2006, 2:10pm
I went to Robin Smith's today (Heartland Banjo) to have him give my Collings a fret dressing. Robin took out his dental mirror and looked inside the Pomeroy. He confirmed that it does have X bracing. He said that the bracing was very delicately done.
Tony

mandoforme
Jun-02-2006, 2:20pm
Tony, congratulations on that beautiful Pomeroy mandolin! It looks spectacular!

Kevin Briggs
Jun-02-2006, 7:53pm
Hey, come on, Tony! Get hopping on that review. You're making me get really antsy. Don is set to start work on my two-point in a few months. I'm hoping by August or so, but it may be sometime in September.

So, how does it sound?

red7flag
Jun-04-2006, 9:28am
Kevin, I keep thinking I am ready to write that review, and then the experience changes. Sometimes I find the wound strings sound a bit "tubby" or boomy, on other songs they talk with authority. The highs are clear and full. Give me some time. A big part of the delay is my learning how to pick this baby. It is not the Weber I sold to buy it. It is definately not the Collings, that bluegrass growly beast. It is not the teens Gibson F4 that inspired it, but then it is not 85 years old either. It has not opened up, but has started to. But as of yet, I am still learning what it is and what it will be. In other words this baby is itself and I am loving it.
Tony