PDA

View Full Version : Double C strings?

violmando
May-31-2006, 10:48pm
Getting ready to play the last 2 Dayton Mandolin Orch. concerts of the season and preparing for AMGuSS so I thought a new set of TIs was in order; this time I put on BOTH C strings--HEY, I LIKE it---WHAT a [B]LOW SOUND it gives me any time I hit either the G or C and I'm not finding it that hard to fret both strings after all. Last time I gave up after a few days; either I've gotten better or I'm trying harder--it sure makes tremolo easier on the C. I know there are arguments out there for using both single and doubled Cs---how about it, cellists? what do YOU prefer on YOUR cello? BTW, I'm still using that LOVELY borrowed Larson cello...Yvonne

a12
Jun-01-2006, 9:28am
I use two C strings on my Gibson K-2
I never did like the one string option.
I think there were issues with rattling on some MCs
The low string is my favorite string anyway and
who else can play those low notes in a group.
I use thomastiks, which are a lighter gauge and the flat
wound makes them easier to play too.
Milwaukee Mandolin Orchestra
(we met last year at the Midwest Mando Fest you guys played at)

violmando
Jun-02-2006, 12:41pm
HI Bill!
Yep, I remember you from last year--tomorrow's the MMF festival and we're playing again. It's a nice venue. It'd be lovely if we'd get your way....Do you plan on going to the CMSA convention this year?
I use TIs too--flat wounds are a hold over from playing double bass, but after AMGuss I'm going to experiement with Argentines; they don't make them for cello, but they I could use some gypsy guitar ones for the higher strings, what do you think?
Y

a12
Jun-05-2006, 5:16am
Y,
I don't have any details on CMSA for this year.
What do you know about it? Their website is out of
date. Are you guys playing there? You're so close.
I don't have any experience with the Argentine strings.

violmando
Jun-05-2006, 7:57am
We have heard unofficially that we might be playing and that our quintet might be playing with another quartet, but who knows? Do you know it's in Oct? 18-22 or something like that....BTW, there is another Larson cello like mine on EBAy right now....Yvonne