PDA

View Full Version : New Rhonda Vincent CD

gschmidt
May-31-2006, 8:57am
So, who has heard the new Rhonda Vincent CD? Whatchathink?

levin4now
May-31-2006, 9:36am
I got it, and it took me two days to decide whether to open it or return it. I've never had a RV&R cd before, and was a little unsure after seeing the cover. Well, a first listen in the car this morning says it's a pretty good cd, but that's all I can say about it musically right now (sorry).

If you like pictures of Rhonda Vincent (apparently she does), they are all over the cd artwork. It's almost disturbing. I'd like to see some more of the band etc... She's pretty - sure, but shucks, I don't know. Check it for yourself.

fredfrank
May-31-2006, 6:16pm
I thought it was on a similar level as the rest of her stuff. Some of it was interesting, some was just background. I'll tell you what, that Josh Williams can pick the mandolin, being a guitar player, and all.

SternART
May-31-2006, 7:31pm
They frilly up Alison Krause for CD photos too.......man..... same with some of the Classical female artist's CD covers......nekked and holding up a violin just enough to cover the innerestin' parts. No matter how good the violin playing....... playing up the babeness probably does sell a few more CD's...right or wrong.

kyblue
May-31-2006, 8:15pm
It's what women have to do to sell CDs, or at least that's what someone has convinced them and they evidently don't mind it. It's not enough for a woman to be a hell of a singer, or songwriter, or picker, if she's not sexy how much attention is she going to get?

How many men in bluegrass have any 'sexy' to sell? Not very dang many (Sammy Shelor excepted.)

Paula
(jumping off her soap box now, and don't even get me started about how many bluegrass artists have to have their name out in front of the band's name)

jim simpson
May-31-2006, 8:18pm
The marketing aside, I have come to appreciate Rhonda and the Rage the more I hear them. I have seen her develop over the years and now she seems to be at a high point. I mentioned that I liked her mandolin work on I've Forgotten You from Ragin' Live to a friend who said that it probably wasn't her playing. Anyone know?
I'm glad she changed the group name from "Raje" to "Rage". I understand that "Raje" was the first letters of her group at the time. There was some confusion as how to pronounce Raje. Anyone see the movie, "That Thing You Do"? The group was called "The Wonders" The group originally spelled their name "Oneders". You don't want to make people guess how to pronounce your name.

gschmidt
May-31-2006, 9:59pm
On the Ragin Live DVD she doesn't play mando on I've Forgotten You, Josh does. He also plays a few other smokin tunes.

That being said, Rhonda does have some VERY nice, bluesy solos throughout the show. If it's a "cleaner" sound, it's probably Josh. If it's more bluesy, it's probably Rhonda.

swampstomper
Jun-01-2006, 1:29am
Rhonda cares enough to hire the very best. I like it when an artist wants to present the best show they can -- whether I am particularly wild about their style or not. Same with Ricky hiring Bobby Hicks for all those years, and Paul Brewster and Jim Mills. Rhonda has Hunter Berry who can play anything, and a really solid bluegrass banjo in Kenny Ingraham. Of course you mentioned Josh Williams. On the CD they are not prominently mentioned but when I've seen her show they are given full credit and plenty of room to shine.

ira
Jun-01-2006, 8:34am
i'm not that much of a bluegrass fan, and this is not meant to cause a quick backlash- just asking a question b/c it makes no sense to me...
why is it wrong for someone to market their cd and try to appeal to a wider audience. so what if she looks hot on an album cover- she is a nice looking woman. its no different than a guy with a tough image wearing a certain hat, sunglasses or leather jacket, or guys who want to be seen as countryish or bgish wearing cowboy hats and bolo ties even though they are from new hampshire or michigan. its ok for people to try to sell more albums. if you like her music who cares if the cd is pushing how she looks. as for not really showing the other guys much on the cd art- no different than old bruce springsteen "AND" the e street band, or any other name AND band. she is the headliner and she looks good.

anyway, sorry for the ramble, i just don't see why its not ok for her to market and hopefully make some bucks- it is her livelihood.

mandopete
Jun-01-2006, 10:28am
anyway, sorry for the ramble, i just don't see why its not ok for her to market and hopefully make some bucks- it is her livelihood.
Have you seen her tour schedule? 81 dates up to mid November 2006. Given the fact the many artists can double their money by selling CD's at appearances, I doubt it really matters what is on the cover.

FWIW - Rhonda Vincent really puts on a great show and the band is excellent.

Christopher Howard-Williams
Jun-04-2006, 1:30am
Ragin Live is still one of my favourite albums that I go back and listen to often. Unfortunately I missed her when she was in France a few years back, I can believe she does a great show.
I have not heard the new album but I prefer the energy of the live one to previous studio albums.

earthsave
Jun-04-2006, 9:36am
Josh started on Banjo as a young kid, played Mandolin with Special Consensus for several years and actually saw him play fiddle too once at Bean Blossom, and now plays a mean lead guitar in The Rage. One talented individual.

The Rage puts on a great show and great bunch of people. I really love Ragin Live and do not yet have the new one.

rhetoric
Jun-05-2006, 6:26am
ira -

I think it's a style over substance issue. I'm not saying that RV doesn't have substance, but we all know a million pop bands that are pure album cover and no music. If a band is good enough, they shouldn't have make the girl wear low-cut sweaters to sell the goods (so to speak), or at least so the argument goes. We're a bunch of music purists who should be, primarily, concerned about the music. Every once and awhile you get a Diana Krall, who is really easy on the eyes and can sing to match, but then we also get Shania Twain who is extremely easy on the eyes, AND can sing, but is so over-produced by the marketing people that very little of her music has any soul (I would, by the way, love a more acoustic/slow song album from Twain). That's the danger of marketing -- it can start to distort product. You can really see it in American politics, of course. Those who listened to the debate on the radio overwhelmingly thought Nixon won -- those who watched on TV liked Kennedy. And now you'd have a hard time winning the US Presidency if you looked like Howard Taft (the enormous President).

I was just living in East Africa for 6 months and clearly marketing has NOTHING to do w/ music over there. They play LOTS of music videos on the telly and there are absolutely no weight, age, attractiveness, production, or anything requirements. (No voice requirements either, but marketing in the US has ignored vocal requirements for years.) Anyway, you find a bunch of your pals, get some matching outfits, go stand in a park or conference room somewhere, and shoot your video.

One more thing to illustrate... When I go to the local used CD store and look through the folk bins, I frequently pick out CD's based on reverse looks. That is, if the singers have a photo and are NOT attractive, I deduce that they could be really something in the musical department (since they obviously aren't making it on their looks). This doesn't work all the time, but you'd be surprised. It probably wouldn't be in good form to tell you some singers I've discovered because they're ugly, so I won't.

Sorry, one more thing... The marketing strategy for Norah Jones first album was to make her seem absolutely unmarketed. They wanted everyone who heard her to think they had "discovered this unknown." Strategy seemed to pay off.

farmerjones
Jun-05-2006, 9:49am
After getting Ragin Live DVD, i can't just listen to RV.
Obviously, the Live Energy doesn't come off as well in a CD. These guys and Cherryholmes are the ones to beat. And they earn every acolade.

It's not against the law to make money playing Bluegrass. It's awful hard work.

Dave Schimming
Jun-21-2006, 7:05am
I have been a big Rhonda Vincent fan, primarily her live shows (2 times at festivals and once at Prairie Home Companion in St. Paul, MN).I have all of her Bluegrass CD's and really like the Live DVD. The playing abilities of the current Rage band members are second to none. Recently sampled the new CD off of Itunes and came away with mixed feelings towards the new album. I probably would have picked a different cover picture, but hey I'm not a marketing type. The playing skills of the band are incredible but the song content and mix didn't trigger a "gotta have it now" response. I will need to listen to the CD again before I buy it.

keymandoplyr
Jun-21-2006, 8:48am
Wheres all the pinup covers of Hazel Dickens ?? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

BluegrassGirl26
Jun-21-2006, 11:16am
That being said, Rhonda does have some VERY nice, bluesy solos throughout the show. #If it's a "cleaner" sound, it's probably Josh. #If it's more bluesy, it's probably Rhonda.
You're so right. Josh definetely has a much cleaner style and sound that is produced. In fact if you look on the inside of the new cd cover where it tells who did what on each song Rhonda barely plays. I think she has breaks on maybe two songs and Josh does the rest.

He's an awesome mandolin player that's for sure. I'm not shure but I think he did all of the mandolin and guitar on his first album.

Dave Schimming
Jun-21-2006, 5:22pm
The first time I saw Josh Williams play was when he was with Special Consensus at Winfield. He primarily played mandolin and was very good at it.

A9cp
Jul-21-2006, 5:12pm
I have seen RV more times than I got fingers and toes and each time she has made time for the fans and does a great job on stage. Yep she is not bad to look at. She can play, can sing and most of all she is a performer. That's what the game is all about, regardless of what anyone might think, performing and making a living. And RV is performing and making a living for herself, her band and her crew and if doing 81 shows a year, selling CD's with something pretty sexy on the cover not to mention doing cruises with fans can allow her to continue paying salaries for her team, then you go girl.

And hat's to the band, a good bunch of people to hang around with on a cruise or two.

Mark in Nevada City
Jul-21-2006, 6:48pm
Many moons ago Pete Wernick put together a short lived "child-star" super group that had Hunter on fiddle, Josh on Banjo, (I believe) Clay Hess on guitar and, of course, Chris Thile on mando. These guys have all done pretty well for themselves!

cheers, mmm