PDA

View Full Version : String Slippage... EXPERTS HELP!

Zemper
Apr-12-2004, 12:08am
What do I do to prevent my forefinger from slipping between the low G strings... It never happened on my yellowstone, but on my brand new F9 my finger keeps slipping in between the two strings and the strings spread apart... Is this because the fretboard is not radiused? What can I do to prevent this from happeneing... Different strings maybe?

Michael Lewis
Apr-12-2004, 12:43am
It sounds like you could use a new nut with different string spacing. Also, just more time with that mandolin should help overcome your problem.

Zemper
Apr-12-2004, 2:43am
Thanks, Im looking into the new nut right now....

Anyone know how much it costs approximatly for a complete refinish on a mando.... I have a F9 and wanted to look into a varnish finish or perhaps a nice laquer... I really like the look sound and color of the f9 but the fragile finish scares me... Just some baseline prices would really help me out or maybe even some recomendations as to a good shop.... Thanks in advance

Apr-12-2004, 7:22am
What........I thought you kept the F5G. Now you've kept the F9 & want to refinish it.....LOL!

Tom C
Apr-12-2004, 9:33am
A varnish will probably cost more than the instrument did.
I probably would not mind a pre-distressed F-9

Zemper
Apr-12-2004, 2:19pm
What........I thought you kept the F5G. Now you've kept the F9 & want to refinish it.....LOL!
actually today is my day to decide.... i wanted to find out what I would have to do to finish my f9, becuase that is my only issue with it. Aside from that it is great... I may save myself the time and just go for the G

BenE
Apr-13-2004, 8:13am
What did you decide?

jacobw
Apr-13-2004, 8:52am
In my limited knowledge of mandolin refinishing, you'd be better off staying with what you have. # As others have suggested, it'd probably cost at least what you paid for the instrument; probably change the sound; probably the color (which you said you liked so much) and probably affect the resale value of the instrument. #If you really like the look and tone of the F5-G, stick with that.

-Jacob Wegner