PDA

View Full Version : Pink Ivory Eclipse

Hans
May-30-2006, 10:01am
Here's a few pix of the Eclipse I made for Maureen. I've always wanted to make an instrument out of pink ivory, and finally found enough to build it. The trouble with the wood is that as it's name implies, about 50% is pink, and the rest ivory color, so you have to buy double plus 15% (scrap) what you need, and hope you have enough.

Hans
May-30-2006, 10:05am
This turned out to be the mandolin from hell, I stripped it 7 times (lucky me). I originally wanted a pink top, but no matter what I did with the stain, it always clashed with the natural wood. Of course the pink was so far into the grain of the Italian spruce top that I had trouble with every kind of bleeding you could imagine. STRIP, STRIP, STRIP! Finally decided to do a solid color ivory top.

Hans
May-30-2006, 10:09am
Then I had trouble with the ivory getting all splotchy from sanding the varnish. Strip! Then I decided to use lacquer and had compatability problems. STRIP! Finally I went to the auto store and got som Dupli-color in ivory and clear. Bingo.

Skip Kelley
May-30-2006, 10:10am
Hans, that is absolutely the coolest design by far! I love the look of your mandolins!

Hans
May-30-2006, 10:11am
Sure got sick of scraping the binding, and just about ran out of binding to scrape! Here's the stylized S-hole.

Hans
May-30-2006, 10:32am
Quartered front view of the scroll.

Hans
May-30-2006, 10:34am
Pink Ivory is an African wood and is about as dense and heavy as ebony. Carving it was a real workout. Full back.

Stephanie Reiser
May-30-2006, 11:15am
amazing and creative.
I have always loved your peghead inlays, too!

tree
May-30-2006, 11:26am
I really like the whole headstock design - beautiful and functional, especially the tuner placement - nice straight pull across the nut, and the strings are spaced so as not to crowd the tuner posts as they pass.

Bob DeVellis
May-30-2006, 11:40am
Exquite, as always, Hans.

JEStanek
May-30-2006, 12:01pm
Very nice. I like this one better than the burst. I'm sure your wife deserves it! Beautiful woods.

Jamie

SternART
May-30-2006, 12:10pm
Hans...veddy nice. I notice on these last two instruments you have what appears to be a bone cap on the
treble side of the bridge..... Did you find it brought the tonal range into better balance?

Gary S
May-30-2006, 1:38pm
I had a chance to play this mandolin and it is an excellent sounding and playing instrument. Hans brought several of his newest creations to NC for a tasting. They were all great.I liked the sound of the pink eclipse best of all...Gary S

BigJoe
May-30-2006, 2:59pm
Hans...you must be a glutton for punishment doing one in Pink Ivory! Talk about hard to work! It turned out beautiful as one would expect from you. Tell Maureen Mary and I both loved it! I can't wait to hear it someday. Exceptional....

Peakbagr
May-30-2006, 7:24pm
Hans,

A beautiful mandolin for a beautiful woman! Please tell Maureen I said "hi".

For those who may not know, besieds being a real peach, Maureen is a wonderful singer and guitar player all on her own. Lots of talent in 1 family. I keep waiting for the album.

Alan

Hans
May-31-2006, 5:59am
Thanks folks! I did enjoy building it despite all the problems.
Joe, hard work builds character...and forearms! I'll have it at IBMA should you make it this year.
The instrument does weigh a ton. I eliminated the truss rod as I felt that the neck wasn't going to move anywhere. I constantly worried about the tone, but the Italian spruce pulled me through.
Arthur the treble side cap may add a little boost, but it's definately not needed on this one. The trebles peel chrome. Tone of the instrument compared to the maple Eclipse is basically like comparing a D-28 to a D-18...rosewood to mahogany. You might notice the 14 fret neck on this one. I have been intrigued by making 14 fret necks on F-hole instruments. Moves the bridge about 3/8" back on the top.
Now then, how "bout that ebony Stealth?!? Hmmmm.

kyblue
May-31-2006, 6:56am
That wood looks gorgeous in the photos. I'll be looking forward to seeing this one at IBMA.

Paula

Daniel Nestlerode
May-31-2006, 1:45pm
Hey Hans,
Will Maureen and the Pink Ivory Eclipse make the trip to Grass Valley this year?
Like that white face! Not a lot builders doing that anymore. Beautiful work as usual!

OBTW, Sonora Pass (CA Rte 108) is open as of yesterday, so Tioga Pass (east side of Yosemite Park, CA Rte 120) should open pretty soon!

Daniel

Hans
Jun-01-2006, 6:09am
Hey Daniel, I'll bring both Eclipse along with a couple of Lloyds, couple of M23's, a M21...and Maureen. Going to be a fast trip, so won't have time for a stop at Yosemite. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif