PDA

View Full Version : Second Bluegrass Mando

billydunn
Apr-11-2004, 9:07pm
I started playing bluegrass mandolin a couple months ago, and I'm thinking over the next few months or so I'll probably want to get a nicer one.

Some mandos I'm looking at that seem to be in the right range are the Weber Gallatin and Hyalite, the Gibson A-9, the Rigel A Natural, and the Breedlove Quartz OF and KF.

Some questions:
1) How critical is the F shape to being in a bluegrass band? Most of the F-styles are out of my range.
2) Any thoughts on the Gallatin? It has mahogany back and sides (the others are maple) and I'm wondering if that makes any difference. Also, it doesn't have any binding, and I don't know whether that affects the tone or makes it less structurally sound.
3) I've been mostly looking at the "big names." Are there any small luthiers that I should be looking at? I am in the New England area.

Thanks for you help. I've been reading through the archives on here and learning a lot.

frets1
Apr-11-2004, 9:11pm
If you will spend in the 2k range, you can find yourself a nice Flatiron Festival F. They are GREAT mandolins!

Coy Wylie
Apr-11-2004, 9:12pm
I have a Weber Custom Bitterroot but had the opportunity to play a Gallatin recently. It was very nice. The mahogony gives it a different tone but If I wanted an F and it was in my price range I would get one. On the other hand, a good quality A with F holes will do you just fine for BG.

I saw this one (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10179&item=3717432317&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW) on ebay... no affiliation, but it is in your price range.

krishna
Apr-11-2004, 10:09pm
Billydunn, I have seen,at some festivals,a lack of respect for anyone that plays anything but an F style.That being said,look at Peter Ostrusko (not a bluegrass player though) ( One of the best mandolin players around ,and plays an A style Maybe you could find a cheaper F style,and find a Luthier to re-graduate the top.it's not as expensive as it sounds.Plus I would probably stay away from anything but maple,but thats just me...

Jaded
Apr-11-2004, 10:31pm
<1) How critical is the F shape to being in a bluegrass band? Most of the F-styles are out of my range.>

While there are plenty of people who regard A styles as somehow inferior Bluegrass instruments. I really doubt any band would hire a bad player with a nice F over a great player with a nice A.

Get the mandolin with the best combination of features you can afford would be my advice. But...figure out which features are the ones most important to *you* rather than whatever the "experts" recommend or you'll be shopping again soon.

Frank Russell
Apr-11-2004, 11:13pm
billydun - I have played all the mandos you mentioned, and owned a few of them myself. For bluegrass, the best one you mentioned in my humble opinion is the A9. I like mine more everyday, and I'm pretty good for finding little faults with any instrument. If you've got time and patience, you might find an F9 within a few hundred of your price range, but I'd be lying if I said my A9 didn't sound just as good as my F9. Give them a look, I think you'll be happy. You might have enough left over to get a Kentucky or Michael Kelly F style just to get rid of the "F" prejudice. By the way, I loved my Weber Gallatin, but unless you go with an upgraded maple back, they just don't have the real bluegrass tone. Hope this helps, Frank.

OlderThanWillie
Apr-11-2004, 11:20pm
Peter Ostroushko told me that he thinks the F-style zealots are just full of too much testosterone. The A-style, with F-holes, will have a sound that is equal to or better than many F-models. A used Gibson A-9 --at about $800 to $900 -- will put you right where you want to be.

Watch this Ebay auction #here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10179&item=3716529889&rd=1) for a very good instrument under $1000.

Gary
Apr-11-2004, 11:29pm
Hi billydunn,

I own a gallatin. #I think the mahogany back/sides really affects tone. #The tone of the gallatin is really warm. #Its a nice mandolin but it doesn't really have the bark associated with a good bluegrass mando. #If you're set on playing bluegrass, i'd look for a different mandolin. #I think the A-9 is a solid choice. #You can also sometimes find used flatiron A style mandos in your price range. #

I think that for bluegrass (or any other genre) its more important to get a quality instrument than to worry about whether or not you have scroll. #You'll get a much better A style for the money. #I hope this helps.

With that said, I'll be selling my Gallatin soon. #If you're interested, let me know.

gary

GBG
Apr-12-2004, 9:40am
How about an Old Wave A-would they be under $1,500?

KevinM
Apr-12-2004, 11:26am
Ditto on the Nashville built Flatiron Festival F -essentially an F5G for less than an F-9 price, a Gibson in all but the name, built to Loar dimensional specs, and possessing great bark and bite. Around $1800 and a bargain at that price, don't hesitiate to buy eBay from a good well-reviewed seller.

Kbone
Apr-12-2004, 7:29pm
I disagree that a Flatiron festival is the same as a F5G Gibson + seeing how i owned a F5G and played quite a few & Flatiron festivals - there's a difference between the two mandolins , in tone , and playability , the neck is different also _ I personally like the tone of the Gibson better but the festival is a good deal for the money - say 1800 any more and I'd pass.

Dioptase
Apr-13-2004, 12:55am
Billy,

I own an A-9, and I'm loving it more all the time. The tone is really quite matched for bluegrass playing.
Last month I played a Gallatin with the upgraded maple back. I found the tone to still be weaker albeit warmer than the A9. It was a great instrument-- but cost considerably more than the A9 and didn't have the tone I desired.
I've had mixed feelings about breedloves. I really enjoy the instruments. They play great and have a great tone.. but it doesn't really carry the thunk that I wanted for a bluegrass instrument. If you like the playability of the breedlove you might talk with Bigjoe about a custom A9 with radius and altered nut width.

Some players might not respect an A style instrument. I'd be happy to accept a nice F9 if they're buying. In the meantime... I love my A.. and truthfully, I've come to appreciate the simplicity of the A style.
Micah

magnumgray
Apr-13-2004, 8:39am
I bought an f style from howard mooris in irrigon, or ... and it is one great mandolin for under $1ooo ... you can see what they look like at ozark mountain music or acoustic instruments from this web site ... the more I play this mando the more I like its sound ... it gets louder and more gibsony every time I play it ... great sound and finish $950