PDA

View Full Version : American Conservatory mandolins

FrDNicholas
May-29-2006, 5:49pm
I just played an old, American Conservatory mandolin that was being sold for $300.00. It was a beautiful sounding mandolin. I seemed to remember some discussion on the Cafe about them, but my search didn't come up with anything. What is the history of these mandolins? Are they related to the Chicago company that made mandolins?

May-29-2006, 5:56pm
It was a brand name of the Lyon & Healy Company (of Chicago) that was used around the turn of the last century.

There were several major manufacturers of musical instruments in Chicago.

FrDNicholas
May-29-2006, 6:00pm
Well that explains the sound quality. Is $300 a good price? The instrument was in excellent condition, with no noticeable flaws.

Eugene
May-29-2006, 7:39pm
If you like it and it's healthy, why not? The American Conservatory brand was a step down from the Washburn brand by L&H and ran the gamut of fanciness. There were both flat and Neapolitan types.

Be certain the cant (the bend in the soundboard) and neck/action are healthy and the tuners are functional. If any of these things are problematic, especially the former two, I'd probably pass it by in favor of the next. The need to locate replacement hardware isn't so damning, but can take some time.

May-29-2006, 9:26pm
Is $300 a good price? The instrument was in excellent condition, with no noticeable flaws.
Only if it's worth that much to you. I'll be honest, you probably won't get that back out of it if you put it on eB@y. However, if you've had it in your hands and it's in great shape you're way ahead of buying it online and taking a chance on what you get. If you're buying it to play, go for it. If you're buying it as an investment you may want to research it some more.

Jim Garber
May-29-2006, 10:50pm
My very first mandolin was an AmCon bowlback. Very sweet and I was ignorant enough at the time not to know that a bowlback was not the cool type of mandolin. I traded up to a Vega cylinder back and then to a Gibson A3 whiteface. I had a pretty good run of mandolins -- no real beginners.

As to bowlback advice... a good solid playing one without cracks and warpage is worth $300 these days. Almost everything on eBay needs work and many luthiers will tell you not to bother.

If it plays well and is in good playing condition, I say go for it. If it needs more work, maybe not. Also, knowing bowlbacks, it may have been hanging out in this store (assuming it is in a store) for a loooooong time. You may have some bargaining power.

Let us know if you get it and post pics if you do.

Jim

FrDNicholas
May-30-2006, 7:32am
I'm sorry, I didn't make this clear. I wasn't thinking about buying this mandolin. I have a beautiful old Gibson, and my finances make MAS not even a possibility. I was just asking out of curiousity because I hadn't seen this brand of mandolin before, and was wondering about them. I know that sounds like the beginning of MAS, but it won't be. Thanks, everyone for your information. It sure sounded nice for that price!

ourgang
May-30-2006, 8:08am
I bought an American Conservatory mandolin a few months ago and really enjoy it. It is the flat back, canted top, oval hole, two point. Mahogony back and sides and spruce top. It has a deep, resonant tone and is very loud, plays very easily. My son refers to the tone as "ancient". Cost me $200, bought a hardshell case and had the frets leveled. Great piece. The odd thing about this one is that the bridge sits behind (tailpiece side) of the bend. Search on the internet said that the Vegas were one of the very few to build them that way. I am guessing it is a Vega but it sure could be a L&H.