PDA

View Full Version : left thumb

ron d.
May-27-2006, 4:34pm
I read a few of the threads about thumb position on the neck but didn't find answers to my specific question- I "anchor" my thumb with the second (lower) knuckle on the back of the neck, a bad(?) habit I developed on guitar. I see the point of better reach with the tip of the thumb on the neck and wrist rotated down somewhat but it seems that I can reach everything okay in either position and it just feels more comfortable with the neck down in my hand instead of up on my thumb. Is this something that I should correct (new to mandolin playing)? Also, some people are saying you should not be squeezing the neck (always use a strap, I agree). How can you not squeeze the neck to fret the strings?

dabowsa
May-29-2006, 9:15pm
Good questions! I'm having similar concerns myself...

islandtime
Oct-31-2006, 2:32pm
Mine rests in the trough below my index finger and the bottom of my thumb, most of the time. #It seems to be the natural place for it, but I have trouble moving up and down the neck without my hand sticking to it. #I end up having to use baby powder when I play...especially if it's hot and humid. #And yes, a strap and or resting on your left knee is absolutely critical. #When I am using a strap, I try to hold the mando tight to the strap, which seems to help with fretting. #It also keeps the back away from your stomach and will help you get a bigger sound.

Benji

mandroid
Oct-31-2006, 6:38pm
Never really rests any one spot, for long.
Pad of thumb on top side of neck, base of index-finger lightly on lower half,fretboard edge.
slipping thumb behind neck for those movable barre chords.

Gripping too hammerhandle like restricts mobility up the neck, shifting positions.

Me>a rather short thumb, so it comes a bit naturally.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

MandoJon
Nov-01-2006, 4:16am
I have read advice from more than one reputable source that specifically says NOT to put the pad of the thumb in the middle of the back of the neck (this includes Simon Mayor, Bickford and Padraig Carol). The one thing they do say is don't let the neck rest in the bottom of the crook between the thumb and first finger - so hold it like Mandroid says but just make sure you've got a wee gap where the thumb and first finger make a U shape. The fingers should point somewhat along the fretboard rather than exactly square-on (Mr Mayor says to point them roughly at your nose).

This all assumes that you are using the usual fiddle fingering of one finger per two frets (aka the 'three finger technique' - because fiddles don't have frets!). It's called three-finger because the little finger has not much to do apart from stretch to the high B and C notes on the 1st string or slip in next to the third finger to help with pesky adjacent 5ths. But it does not mean you actually only ever use 3 fingers!

If you are using the perfectly legitimate alternative (but definately less common) four-finger technique (one finger per one fret - most commonly used in classical guitar) then you'd better square up those fingers to the fretboard and put your thumb pad on the back of the neck (and also be prepared for lots of hand shifts).

The four-finger technique IMHO would require you to learn to "play in position" whereas the three-finger technique (ironically) opens up the possibliity of using the FFcP (four-finger closed position) scales. I know it sounds confusing but the so-called three-finger technique doesn't actually preclude the use of the fourth finger. IMHO (again) I think the name is wrong and it would be better to describe the methods as one-finger-one-fret and one-finger-two-frets but it's a name we've borrowed from the fiddlers. You simply cannot do FFcP scales using a one-finger-one-fret approach.

Anyway - I'll bow out now and let any real musician correct what I've said http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Soupy1957
Nov-01-2006, 5:38am
The issue of thumb position, (a topic that repeats with regularity) is for me, the lack of slide ability if I rest the neck of the Mando in the crook of my hand; not because of inability to slide, but because it creates more drag.

Let's face it, we need the backup pressure for the pressing that we are doing with our fingers on the strings. (Without a thumb, we are forced to palm, for adequate pressure on the strings anyway).

The 4-finger chords, for me, force me to shift the back pressure to another spot on my hand, since I have to streeeetch more, but I haven't yet been comfortable with the pad of the thumb on the back center of the neck.

I too tend to have my thumb pad on the upper flat of the neck at times, but there is still the need for something along the back neck radius for adequate pressure (for me).

I'm thinkin "powder" or "a Michael Jackson fingerless glove" or sanding the neck, so as to smooth out the sliding, no matter WHERE my thumb is......
-Soupy1957

angrymandolinist
Nov-01-2006, 11:34am
I tried putting the pad of my thumb on the back of the neck for a while. I developed some serious playing problems that way - just playing half-decent was tough, and the tension in my thumb was unreal. I couldn't get rid of that tension when I started putting my thumb along the bass side of the neck either, so things were only a little better.

Nowadays I try not to even let my thumb touch the neck; it forces me to strengthen my fingers and use the base of my index finger as a reference for fretting. I have to brace the mandolin more with my right arm, but it doesn't hurt my playing now. Could make tremolo trickier, but I'll take that over tendonitis or whatever in my thumb.

Soupy1957
Nov-01-2006, 2:39pm
I've been tempted to try to "bar" sometimes.....any value or validity to this technique with a Mando?
-Soupy1957

August Watters
Nov-01-2006, 4:37pm
If your thumb is on the back of the neck, then you're using the thumb muscles to oppose the pressure of your fingers. Occasionally this is unavoidable, but most of the time you can reduce the tension in your left hand by letting the V-shape of the neck fall somewhere between your thumb and forefinger. This way, the downward pressure of your fingers is opposed by the palm of your hand, allowing the thumb to relax.

Barring across works fine -- depending on the size of your fingers and fingerboard width, you may have more or less need for this.

August W

Ken Sager
Nov-02-2006, 2:39pm
Good posts. Since, as mentioned, all hands are different, I like to explain how the thumb balances the hand to properly allow all four fingers to apply enough pressure to fret notes cleanly. Examine where you are touching the fingerboard with your fingertips, thumb, inside of palm, knuckle, wherever. The thumb should simply balance everything else and allow you the best reach and strength with each finger.

Sit with someone you think has good technique and figure out how you can adapt some of what they're doing to what you'd like to do given the geometry of your hand.

Best,
Ken