PDA

View Full Version : Mowry mandolin  f5

tattiemando
May-27-2006, 4:02pm
Andrew Mowry is building an f5 mandolin for me, he is making a batch of 4 mandolins at the moment. I love the style of his workmanship and his finished mandolins look fantastic. I hope my f5 will look as good as his already completed mandolins, some of which have been posted on the cafe.

tattiemando
May-27-2006, 4:05pm
another photo

tattiemando
May-27-2006, 4:06pm
another photo

tattiemando
May-27-2006, 4:08pm
another photo

tattiemando
May-27-2006, 4:09pm
another photo

tattiemando
May-27-2006, 4:11pm
another photo

tattiemando
May-27-2006, 4:12pm
another photo

tattiemando
May-27-2006, 4:16pm
Thats the latest photos from Andrew Mowry's work bench of my f5 in progress. I will keep the cafe updated on the progress as it happens.

Bill Snyder
May-27-2006, 4:28pm
A question for Andrew. Are those tone bar clamps just plywood with a slot cut out and small wedges driven in?

Lane Pryce
May-27-2006, 8:06pm
Craig you will find Andrew to be an excellent communicator as well as a stand up guy. I own a Mowry mandolin and have really enjoyed it in the short time I have called it mine. Post your updates and share your photos as it is a real treat watching your mandolin come togther. Lp

tattiemando
May-28-2006, 12:32pm
Thst is good to hear JLP tell me about your mandolin woods, color, playability, stringing ,tone . Was it an f5 or a model? do ypu have any photos?

Alex Fields
May-28-2006, 1:54pm
JLP's Mowry is an A style, red spruce, I believe a light brownish color (I could be wrong on that one). I played it at Merlefest, which was before it had had enough time to open up well, and it sounded good already. Played well too, and the aesthetics are excellent. I think he has it setup and voiced for J75s.

Of course he can tell you more.

tattiemando
May-28-2006, 2:07pm
I have asked Andrew Mowry to make me a red spruce top, and I also hope to put the j75's on it to give it the desired growl. I also have decided on a quilted 1 piece back , the fret board will have a slight radius. I just love the colors of his dyes and the varnish finish.

Lane Pryce
Jun-01-2006, 8:25am
Craig I did indeed go with the ad red spruce top,quilted bigleaf maple for the body and neck. Fully bound with ivoroid black ivoroid binding,chestnut stain and varnish finish. I choose the Gotoh tuners because of their ivoroid buttons and a Bill James tailpiece in silver. Andrew setup the the mandolin up with J75's per my request and it plays like soft butter. The mandolin is very responsive,and has the classical tone. The harder you drive it the more it delivers. Lp

first string
Jun-01-2006, 8:39am
Tattiemando,

Andrew is building my mandolin in this batch as well. It's been fascinating to watch the process, though I won't post pics just now, as they would be a little redundant. Still once things are a little farther along it will be interesting to compare esthetic differences, and eventually the difference in sound (though that can be hard to do through mere description).

Anyway, congratulations. I think time will prove that we have both made an excellent decision.

Dave Dearnley
Jun-08-2006, 10:04am
Hi Kids,

I too have one in this bunch!

Dave

first string
Jun-08-2006, 10:40am
Well that's three out of four…If the future owner of the last mando in this batch is on the café, and will step out of the shadows, then all the siblings will be accounted for.

Hey Dave; care to share any details about yours? Top wood? The figure of the back? Eventual color? Etc…

Oh, and congratulations.