PDA

View Full Version : a new 2 point

Austin Clark
May-26-2006, 8:39am
This is my new 2 point model. #I changed my mold a bit for a rounder body profile and different shaped points than I had before.
Also, this is the first oval hole mando I have made. It went out the door to the customer on Monday and I miss it already....

It is #11. Hope ya like it!

Austin Clark
May-26-2006, 8:42am
the back..

Austin Clark
May-26-2006, 8:43am
more...

Austin Clark
May-26-2006, 8:50am
and finally....

Jonathan James
May-26-2006, 8:52am
Very, very nice!

Lane Pryce
May-26-2006, 9:04am
Sweet and very nice work. There is a proud new picker some where!! Lp

chuck.naill
May-26-2006, 9:06am
That is simple elegance at it's height. Congratulations.

Is it for sale or did was it a custom build?

Chuck

thistle3585
May-26-2006, 9:40am
Incredible. Great job. What about a pic of the headstock?

JEStanek
May-26-2006, 10:03am
Very elegant. Very nice finish work! Congrats! Envious of the new owner.
Jamie

Austin Clark
May-26-2006, 10:21am
Thanks for the nice comments. Here is a (not very good) picture of the headstock.
Chuck - it was a custom build.

kyblue
May-26-2006, 10:27am
Very nice! I just love 2 pts.

Paula

markishandsome
May-26-2006, 10:39am
I like the point at the end of the fingerboard. Class act.

Skip Kelley
May-26-2006, 11:47am
Awesome mandolin! The peghead really compliments the body style!!

Mandoborg
May-26-2006, 12:20pm
Great looking Mandolin Austin !!! Nice eye on the details...... Especially that heel cap w/black binding. If i were to make a couple of sugestions, try a smaller oval-hole and a 12 fret neck to bring the bridge more towards the center of the top. I made one like yours ,got the same advice, and was amazed how MORE sound came out of the smaller oval and the bridge sitting in the center of the top is always good.........

Again, a GRAT looking instrument !!!

Jim Combra

ShaneJ
May-26-2006, 2:43pm
Austin, that looks great. It's a little different than the "norm", but VERY pleasing to the eye....a hard feat to pull off. Very, very nice-looking mando. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Shane

Baron Collins-Hill
May-26-2006, 4:00pm
very very nice. great job with the finish, looks fabulous. do you have a website? id love to see more of your creations.

thanks
baron

ira
May-26-2006, 6:06pm
really pretty - great work.

guitharsis
May-27-2006, 5:25am
Beautiful, just beautiful.

DryBones
May-27-2006, 7:26am
Can you do the same thing in a lefty? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

red7flag
May-27-2006, 10:32am
Great design and implimentation. It just works. I agree with earlier comments, innovative, but in a way that each part compliments each other. I would not have put those thoughts together and that is why it is so striking to me as it coerced me to see your project in another light. I bow to you and that mando.
Tony

unklemean
May-29-2006, 11:13pm
First I would like to thank Austin for building this mandolin for me. It was a pleasure to work with Austin. He interpreted my ramblings and walked me through options in the kindest way. I had the pleasure of playing my new mando with the Calvary Ridge Players Friday night. Without recruiting opinions my fellow players gave my two point glowing reviews for tone and volume. I especially liked the sound doing Victory in Jesus in G with a pretty hard blues beat. While playing I saw the light it was easy to get a chop going. It also has the melowness to sit back and play softly in The old Ruggrd Cross.
Once again Thank You Austin.
Kevin

Austin Clark
May-30-2006, 12:00pm
Thank you Kevin, I had fun working with you on this build. And thanks to all of you for your kind and generous posts, I really appreciate your feedback.

cooper4205
Jun-05-2006, 3:22pm
i have to get on here to look at this mando about every day, it is beautiful!

Loren Bailey
Jun-05-2006, 3:30pm
I can attest to Austin's skill. I was the owner of his #2 mando (it's now owned by a friend of mine, dreaded MAS!). The tone is great, one of the best balanced mandos I've heard, crystal clear. That is one fine looking oval hole. How would you describe it's tone?

Loren Bailey

BradB
Jun-06-2006, 6:26am
I love the color and the way you can see the grain on the top. I assume that's a hand-rubbed stain?

The dark bindings with the light purfling looks great too, and is a nice contrast with the bound soundhole and fingerboard.

mandolooter
Jun-09-2006, 3:26pm
Darn i missed it...been meaning to stop by but my 12 hour days are putting a hurt'n on me...too tired to do much more than eat pick and then sleep. Still got the Redwood one around? Maybe i can get by later today...I'll be in the hood for a while...Jeff

unklemean
Jun-10-2006, 9:47am
Hi Loren: sorry you don't have the #2. My mando has changed over the past two weeks or so. as most will I supose. The A and E strings scream! They are bright and clear, better than my Breedlove. The G and D hold their own in tone and with a heaver picking action volume is good. To describe the sound will be a chalange for me, but I will try. Its more of a mellow river rather than a roaring rapid. Not harpy, but full with a bright finish when playing cords. Sustain is great without bring blurry if that makes sence. Austin desinged it with good sustain in mind. I do greatly enjoy playing minor and seventh cords. I don't know how else to describe it except a haunting sound. Hope I am clearer than mud.
have a blessed day
Kevin

unklemean
Aug-08-2006, 7:49am
greetings from the owner of #11. after two months of playing my mandolin has sure opened up nicely. again many thanks to Austin.