PDA

View Full Version : Custom for MAS

tin ben dur
May-25-2006, 8:59pm
I have a custom Weber and I am thinking of a more traditional and vintage F style mando. I love the quality and tone of my Weber. I am very reluctant to order from anyone else except Weber. My friend has played classical music for years so I beleive her when she says my Weber has very good tone. So here inlies my problem. I have got Mas bad. I dont really have access to come into contact with mando's like Stanley's or Bretrup's. So what do I look for in some other custom builders that would have the quality build and sound of a Weber. And I shouldn't spend to much. Anyways all comments are very welcome here.

Alex Fields
May-25-2006, 9:51pm
There are alot of custom builders whose instruments sound considerably better than Webers. I guess it depends on what your price range is. Stefan Passernig's mandolins are in Weber price range and blow any Weber completely out of the water. I've played alot of Webers and not one that sounded half as good as my fiddle teacher's Passernig, which he payed 2200 for new.

The more you're willing to pay the more options you'll have, of course, and other people will have different favorite luthiers to recommend. There are plenty of options which should give you a better value than a new Weber.

By the way I don't particularly dislike Webers, they're well made and attractive and sound good, and the customer service is excellent...I'm just saying there are better instruments for the money. Others will disagree as always.

Eric F.
May-25-2006, 10:40pm
I love the quality and tone of my Weber.

So, take a deep breath - or two - and remind yourself that you have a quality mandolin that you really love, and channel your MAS into something else. Or buy a mandola. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

steve in tampa
May-26-2006, 4:11am
I've got a cedar topped Bitterroot, and a Fern. Two completely different animals. Cured me for the time being.

Ken Berner
May-26-2006, 8:31am
Please remember this; YOUR ears must judge whether somebody's fiddle teacher is a better judge of what you need, than yourself. What might "blow Weber out of the water" to one person, might not be so with you. Play as many different mandolins within your price requirements; your ears will give you the answer. Also, STE will build anything you desire, using the finest materials available, according to your financial situation.

tin ben dur
May-27-2006, 8:26am
Thanks guys for all the replies. Lots of good advice. Thanks ERic but I have tried that and I must have a new mando. I do love my custom Bitterroot. I really want a custom Weber Fern. Keep the replies coming.

red7flag
May-28-2006, 4:29pm
I have written threads about the differents sounds of different Gibsons. #From my experiences, including owning a mohagany Bitterroot custon, Webers vary even more. #I have played a Fern that come close to that Loar type sound. #My Bitterroot was clear and pretty. #The one negative I have seen is on many of the lower end off the shelf Webers I have seen use too much lacquer. This was true of my Bitterroot. The Gallatin I played was a nice sounding instrument but a different sound than either the Bitterroot or the Fern. #I think a part of this is that Webers are more open to customizing than more factory builders. #As a result, I would never give a blanket recommendation for Webers and in place would recommend that a person either play the one they are considereing playing or play and custom similar to what you planning to order.
Tony

Kevin Briggs
May-30-2006, 9:17am
I'lll say a few things about my Weber and my experience in general.

My Weber is a top quality mandolin, there's not doubt in my mind. I personally like it, and it compares well with other mandolins the same price, and mandolins that are more expensive. I've played one mandolin that I think is "better" than the Weber I own, but that's it, and it cost way more. That said, I do not have the top o fthe line Weber. I'm sure the Weber fern gives any mandolin out there a run for its money.

Weber has helped define my experience as a mandolin player, and introduced to the world of fine mandolins. My old Breedlove Spirit gave a glimpse, and my Weber showed me there're even more possibilities.

Now, Weber reshaped my neck for me, because I had some action problems, and that helped (they did it for free). However, there is still something holding me back, as far as action goes, and it is becoming more and more evident to me the more I practice. I don't know what it is, but I intend to come up with some conlcusion by trying some more mandolins out and comparing them.

I know my Breedlove was easier for me to play, an Elliot Stelling was easier for me to play, my Kentucky 340s is easie for me to play, and my friend's Flatiron 94' Artist is easier too. That said, I had Weber shape my neck to 94' Flatiron, which they could obviously do because they made the 94' Flatirons. I think they mostly got it right, but probably opted to put their own "stamp" on it. Either way, I'm sure it was a conscious decision to do it the way they thought best.

I anticipate selling it at some point, but it may be two years from now. It is opening up nicely. The tone is fantastic. It still has a way to go, but I can feel that top piece vibrating more and more freely. It does very well with D'Addario J75s, and comparably well with D'Addario EXPJ74s.

doc holiday
May-30-2006, 9:51am
As everyone says, there are many talented builders out there. #You really can't go wrong, but it is definitely worth a few tanks of gas or a plane ticket to hear some, whether it's at a festival, a maker's shop or a high-end mandolin store. I have had the opportunity to hear Brentrups, Heidens, Distressed Gibson MMs Gilchrists, Nuggets, Smarts, Gibson snakehead As and F4s and several Loars as reference. #I would say it would be relatively easy to find an instrument to equal or surpass your Weber for sound. #As for customer service, there are a lot of great people out there in the mandolin business. #They seem to almost be the rule rather than the exception. #At this point in time it's almost like shooting fish in a barrel. #If you are a righ handed player, the availability is almost endless. #I have been in your situation, playing a lefty Weber varnish Yellowstone. #I made a choice from the makers above, sat out the wait time and was ecstatic with the instrument I got. #Good Luck!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif # Doc

tin ben dur
May-30-2006, 8:14pm
Thanks everyone. Opinions are well appreciated here. I have test driven a few mando's and have been let down by their lack of fit and finish. It just totally amazies me that some builders will let something out their door that look like ####. And yes I know its not about the finish, its about the sound. I just think they could take alittle time to sand more or clean some extra laquer off. My Weber is both. It sounds good and looks good. I guess I may be just alittle picky but I want to here about the builders cafe members recommend.

Kevin Briggs
May-30-2006, 8:26pm
Has anyone else had any action difficulties with their Weber?

Mark Normand
May-30-2006, 11:28pm
I have a Weber Fern, and everytime I look it over closely, amazed by the fit/finish. I think it sounds great, and my friends love it. But I feel like I'm getting the same MAS as you, almost want something else just to jump start me again. That may/may not happen, but I understand your deal. I suspect one day I'll end up with a Gibson just because.
I played someone's Flatiron for quite a while at a festival this weekend that really excited me. I would have bought it on the spot if available, and sold my Fern. That's what we're all looking for I guess, something that excites us beyond the usual.

lawdawg
May-31-2006, 4:02pm
My Yellowstone and Gallatin are as different as night and day in tone and volume. #Both are nice but very different. #I've heard other Webers I like better and some not as much. #I would also suggest trying GHS Silk & Steel 250s. #They seem to really make a difference on my Yellowstone - seemingly much easier to play than J74s(they don't last very long - but sound great while they last).

JGWoods
May-31-2006, 5:59pm
My theory is that if you buy 2 mandolins that are pretty much the same you are really just auditioning a replacement- let the competition begin and sell the loser.
So 2 f hole, F style mandos- a Weber Fern and a Gibson uh, F5 something equivalent( sorry I don't know current Gibson models)is having 2 mandolins for the same job, while having a Weber Fern and getting an F4 oval hole wouldn't cause the need/desire to dump one as the tone is so different. There's no competition- you have 2 mandos for 2 jobs, each is a favorite for certain things,

and of course your status as a multiple mandolin owner is just to die for- for instance I get Christmas cards from Citibank...I got friends in places I don't even know about

tin ben dur
May-31-2006, 7:01pm
I appreciate the replies. I have noticed my Bitterroot sounds better to my ears if I use the Dawg pick. I may just like a woody, deep, and mellow tone. I bought some mm150 picks and I like the sound of them. The MAS has just hit me in a way that makes me want one of them vintage style mando's. To me that means extended fingerboard, flowerpot, and stuff like that. I guess maybe like the Weber Yellowstone Special that Greg Boyd has with Monroe appointments. Very nice. Maybe I will just call this local guy up and ask him to build me one. I think he is kinda well known. Dude is what they call him. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

bgmando
Jun-02-2006, 11:40am
I suggest you do a google search and go to Ken and Laura Ratcliff's site for their Silver Angel mandolins.

Whether you order or not, it gives you an introduction to what small-shop mandos are about.

I ordered an classic style F-5 that arrived in April.

It was different in bracing, tone woods, finish and neck thickness than the Flatiron F-5 I'd played for 22 years.

But -- It's blowing me away now with good sound and playability, as I've become familiar with it. I've come to admire the finish and general style.
Important to me -- the price was very reasonable.

I'm somewhat isolated from other players and mandos.

But -- I suspect the sound quality is on a par with mandos costing three times as much.

Now -- it is a bit scary stepping outside the box of the known commodity, and committing cash to luthiers who enjoy experimenting and originality.

However -- if unsatisfied -- that's what the classifieds are for.