PDA

View Full Version : Gospel Bluegrass on PBS

mandodon
Apr-10-2004, 11:21pm
Just wanted to be a jerk and make a comment about how lame this show Gosepel Bluegrass PBS show was, which was so corny and hokey it should be scorned by all fans.

This was a prime example of all the negative stereotypes about bluegrass music come to life and spread to the masses via television.

If this is the direction the powers that be are trying to push bluegrass, than I'm gonna start billing my band as a greengrass act.

It actually disgusted me, and the Ricky Skaggs program didn't even do that.

If you're going to sell the music out, at least do it in a way that will make you money.

Bradley
Apr-11-2004, 7:52am
Well....

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I really enjoyed the program,enough that I bought the DVD's.

OF course,I am not crazy about the Gaither people that produced it,I feel that it had a great line-up of pickers from all angles of bluegrass.And the highlight of the Carter Family by Marty Stuart was awesome.

I didnt see any stereotyping,hokeyness or anything to that matter? It does have ties to the Southern Gospel realm,but that should be obvious since Gaither produced it.

Apr-13-2004, 2:15pm
I presume this was the Gaither Gospel Bluegrass Homecoming Vol 1?
I also have the DVD. While I can't deny it has some Gaither corn, it seemed to have a bit less than ususal. And while I confess I HATE what the Lewis's did to Honey in the Rock, I still very much enjoy the DVD overall. Is it all strictly Bluegrass? Naaa...
But where else will you see 6 mando's on stage together including Ricky, Ronny, and Doyle? Some great mando content (even if the durned camraman couldn't figure out a camera angle that didn't include the mike over the fretboard)!
...Quicksilver always seems to have fun singing Get Down on your Knees and Pray. Great song.