PDA

View Full Version : Fret Wear

bluegrassjack2
May-22-2006, 8:28am
I've played guitar for several years. bought a new D35 in 1994 and played it a lot. Still dont need frets replaces.
Why does it seem that the mandolins frets wear quicker than those on a guitar?
Thanks

Jerry Byers
May-22-2006, 8:51am
I'm guessing because the strings have higher tension, smaller diameter, and vibrate at a higher frequency - all contribute to more energry transfer at the point of contact.

When I play guitar, I touch the strings between the frets. On the mandolin, I tend to fret the strings at or near the frets. It might be something to consider.

Celtic Saguaro
May-22-2006, 11:01am
Actually, I've played mando for 30 years and never come close to needing frets replaced on anything I've bought new. #Of course, I don't play professionally. As for the wear difference you mentioned, I think it has to do with how you play, and the fact that (if my physics is correct) the strings vibrating at a higher pitch have relatively more energy as they try to rub on the frets. #I bought a used tenor banjo with frets so dished, I think it had to have been caused mostly by scraping pull-offs because there was no way ordinary fretting or hammer-ons could have spread the damage out so far sideways.