PDA

View Full Version : New guy needs more mandos

krishna
Apr-10-2004, 6:33pm
I just wanted to say HI to everybody.My name is Kerry ...and I am a mandoholic.I admit it now.. I've been playing mando for 18(?) years.I've got a bunch of them,and BOY they are fun.My main acoustic is a Monteleone Grand Artist.I got it from John in 89,(ordering it 2 years before)after finally being able to pay for it. It Rocks! And to prove this point, I played it in a nationally touring rock band for 5 years. (BRAGGERT) #I was the mandolin player in the band(just so you don't think mando as a #sideline). I also played #a couple of solid body mandolins.My main E mando was a 4 string Flying 'V' that was my 1st building project( My 1st fight with insomnia )My other was a rebuilt 2 point El'Degas into which I #form fit a 4 pound peice of rock maple, and put in #a blade humbucking and a Precision pickup in the neck position.That one is kind of cool 'cause I cut the sides off, glued in dowels,and found some orphaned plastic farm animals to epoxy inside.(it's my Ben Mink mandolin) #(I have pics) I work in Montreal at a university as a lab tech but for the most part,I've made my living from music for 15 years.I collect string intrustments and have.... not enough. But I have a small instrument repair shop up here.I'm my own best customer.. ..I've got 3 solid body mandos 1/2 finished and look forward to showing them here when done.Is this to much talking? # Kerry # PS I've been to Gavin Bs shop a few times in Winnipeg .He's as nice as they say..

krishna
Apr-10-2004, 6:37pm
Also if you do any building, please look at my post today on Potasium Dychromate.Danger! Danger! Danger!

krishna
Apr-11-2004, 8:57pm
Have I broken some unwritten law here that I can get 90 views on this and not One Hello? Maybe I should go play with the classical violinists? Somebody TALK to me!Sorry in advance if its in the wrong place... I was SOOO exsited to find this message board too ...Did I mention it's my birthday today and I thought it was tomorrow?CRAP>

jim simpson
Apr-11-2004, 9:27pm
Hello Kerry,
Let me be the first to welcome you. You are from Canada already so you don't need the cold shoulder. Maybe it's the krishna name, maybe it's jealousy that you have a Monteleone, who knows? What # is your Monty? I played a #24 that an old associate had. At the time I had a G.N. Anderson that was also a #24. I bought it used and it was funny how similar they both were but not in sound.
Please don't be put off, we need all the reiforcements we can get and a diverse background or affiliation should not bar anyone from this site.
Jim

krishna
Apr-11-2004, 9:51pm
Jim should it be moved somewere else?Thanks,I think its #number...I'll look tonight... So many other sites have a place for newbies to say hello. Also Jim if it's my name that is the problem,I've had enough run-ins already with bigots to do me a lifetime. Please someone tell me it was my underarm de-oderant! For goodness sakes! It's just a stage name!..

jim simpson
Apr-12-2004, 6:58am
Hey Kerry,
I don't know if there is a preffered sections for newbies but it might be the General Mandolin Discussions but it shouldn't matter. My last name invites comments all the time in the workplace (Homer, Bart) but it doesn't bother me. I don't get called O.J. anymore and that is a relief. My previous home was in West Virginia where I lived about 40 minutes from New Vrindabin, a large Krishna community in the country. You could visit, eat with them, sit around and chant, etc. I wasn't into mandolin so much then so I didn't take one along to jam. I think most folks think of the Krishnas as the folks who would try to sell you incence or flowers for donations at the airports. It may be the name but it's too early to tell. I don't usually mention my religion or politics unless asked and probably wouldn't choose this forum to do it. I read your piece on Potasium Dichromate. That sounds like pretty scary stuff!
Jim

jom
Apr-12-2004, 7:58am
You must make good money as a musician, because I know that lab tech job isn't paying for your MAS! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Fellow university researcher here. I'm new here myself, so I don't know if its my place to "welcome" you.

Tom C
Apr-12-2004, 8:09am
Welcome. Too bad I did not get involved with mandolins until 6 years ago. Especially
sinced I grew up about 10 miles from Monteleone. I wish I could have ordered one back then.

atetone
Apr-12-2004, 10:40am
Hey Krishna, I don't usually talk to Monteleone guys, (it's a jealousy thing), but in your case I will make an exeption seeing how you are a fellow Canuck and all.
Not one of those Montreal Canadiens fans are you?? If you are then I might have to reneg on this.:p
I have been talking lately to a builder named Brian Dean who lives in Montreal. He builds some very good looking flatop mandolins. Not in the Monteleone class or anything but good looking stuff. If I were anywhere nearby I would definately drop by and take a look at his stuff.
His website is brian@bfolk.com
Worth a look.

krishna
Apr-12-2004, 3:16pm
OK. First Acetone,Have you a phone # for Brian? I can't get anything at that address and,I don"t follow sports at all!If it does'nt have strings on it ,I don't care about it.Exept the Wife-Unit! Also, were are you located? Tom I lived in Winnipeg for 39 years, 3 blocks away from Gavin Baird,so I know exactly what you mean.Jom ,were are you doing research? Also I picked up the Grand Artist before the prices skyrocked.It was about 6k Canadian in 89. Untill I talked to George Gruen(?) 4 years ago,I had NO IDEA that the mando was worth a dime more than what I payed for it. Jim Simpson,I'll always remember that you had the 1st hello post back at me.If there is anything I can do for you,(shall I send you a dozen Montreal bagels?)Also about the K-Dychromate, the only thing that is more dangerous at the campus,is all the radioactive stuff.

atetone
Apr-12-2004, 6:22pm
Sorry about that Krishna. Try www.bfolk.com # That should do it.
If you are talking to Brian say hello to him for me. (Tony in B.C.)

krishna
Apr-13-2004, 9:42am
Acetone(?) I spent 1/2 hour with him on the phone yesterday ,and will be meeting him in the next 2 weeks,after I can afford to put plates on my new car.Did you know its like the wild west out hear for used cars?Safety inspections only required on cars brought in from out of province.It's like it was in Canada in the 80s!

Eric F.
Apr-13-2004, 8:44pm
That mandola on the bfolk Web site looks very nice. I am starting to get itchy for one of them. Please report back to us if you buy from him.

atetone
Apr-13-2004, 9:01pm
Eric, they do look very nice don't they?
I have been looking at them on the website for a while now and corresponding with Brian Dean. Seems like a good guy and knows how to make a good looking mando. He knows how to put wood together. My only hesitation is my total lack of experience with flatop sound.
I haven't played any quality ones and don't know what to expect.
I live in the sticks and don't get out much.
I also would be interested in what Krishna has to say after handling #them.
Anyone else out there had any experience with Brian Dean mandolins???

MANDOLINMYSTER
Apr-13-2004, 9:21pm
Hey Kerry,

I am a mandoholic too, I came out a few years ago and I feel just much better. Like I say, "If your not sure which one you want, buy them both" #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

krishna
Apr-14-2004, 11:37am
I look forward to meeting him. He E mailed me this morning with some detail pics and asking questions.Did he tell you the mandola left for delivery two days ago? I'll let HIM tell you how much he got. Flat tops sound a little tubbier even with F holes. I'm not planning on buying one though.BUT it's something I've allways wanted.My M.A.S is on hold till I get moved to my new place 4300 klicks from here.Anyone got a cheap trailer for sale in the Montreal area?

levin4now
Apr-14-2004, 12:39pm
hey krishna,

did you lose any sleep over the Habs loss to the Bruins last night in Dbl OT? Or are you not a hockey Fan.

It's been Vivez les Habitents for me since I was six!

Alan

krishna
Apr-14-2004, 5:01pm
No strings... no intrest. Theres a team named after a halibut???