PDA

View Full Version : Now for something a little different!

George R. Lane
May-19-2006, 11:03am
First off I want to say I am a very lucky guy. I have only been play mandolin for just over a year and my wife gave her blessing for me to order a custon Weber Gallatin. Secondly I have a great job, I am the chief photographer at the newspaper in Helena, Mt. It was this job that led me to Bruce Weber and to the story I wrote and photographed about his new guitar line. After talking with Bruce about what I was experiencing with my Pac-Rim mando, he took the time to help me figure out what would be my personal mando. By the way I only live 70 miles from the Weber shop.
# Now jump ahead almost one year. I have decieded to sell my Taylor 814 Brazilian guitar and make the plunge. I work with the folks at Music Villa, in Bozeman, Mt. and they make me a great deal.
#Now comes the fun part. I stop at the Weber shop on my way home to tell Bruce that I have made the jump. He stops on what he was working on and helps me pick out the wood for my Baby. A beautiful maple back, chosen from 7 different sets. He hand pick the cedar top, he said it rang like a bell when he tapped it. I picked out the neck and fretboard. I talked with his painter as to the best color, I was going for a vintage look (no sunburst) and decieded on the Bearpaw color with antiqued ivoroid binding. Bruce suprised me with the inlaid logo and celtic knot.
#All I can say is if you are looking for a fantastic handmade mando, you cannot do better that Weber.

George R. Lane
May-19-2006, 11:05am
Pic of the front

George R. Lane
May-19-2006, 11:06am
Pic of the backside

George R. Lane
May-19-2006, 11:07am
PEGHEAD

George R. Lane
May-19-2006, 11:09am
BACK

George R. Lane
May-19-2006, 11:10am
QUARTER FRONT CLOSEUP

JGWoods
May-19-2006, 11:24am
Wonderful. Everyone should be so lucky and blessed to have the opportunity to get something made with them in mind. The instrument seems all the better becuase the builder knew who he was building for. That's why there's so many happy folks around here - they buy custom made and have a relationship with the builder.

JEStanek
May-19-2006, 11:35am
Great Story. Awesome looking mando! Enjoy it.

Jamie

SternART
May-19-2006, 11:39am
That ivoroid binding matches the beard nicely too!

testore
May-19-2006, 12:32pm
An F model with a snake head. I was wondering how that would look just a few days ago. I love it. Thanks

ira
May-19-2006, 12:57pm
the carving near the scroll is gorgeouos

JEStanek
May-19-2006, 1:19pm
That's the standard Weber Gallatin (http://www.soundtoearth.com/inst_ma_gallatin.htm) headstock and scroll volute styling done in Cedar with maple instead of mahog. I really like the snake head on an F body (see also the Paris Swing).

George's color choices (is that a matte finish?), added inlay, and binding for the top make for a _very_ nice looking mando. Excellent job Team Weber!

Jamie

George R. Lane
May-19-2006, 1:26pm
Jamie,
The finish is between a satin and an semi-gloss. It was Bruce's recommendation. Thanks for the kind words.

Nathan Sanders
May-19-2006, 2:17pm
Really nice!! I'm diggin' the snakehead on the f-model. Congrats!

Keith Owen
May-19-2006, 3:23pm
Holy smokes, you took all the separate things that I have really liked on a bunch of differnt mandos, and put them all together on one mando!

Beautiful!

Hoovetone
May-19-2006, 3:45pm
Wow. Is that sharp or what ? !
The photo right under you and Bruce is a perfect example of the snake tongue .(Follow the crease of the scroll downward.) The back is also tongued.
Weber is the only one I know that does this. I was out 2 years ago and was amazed. My wife actually became a real mandolin cheerleader after the tour with Bruce, Mary, John, Vern, and Paula.
I do like me a Weber!

Lee
May-19-2006, 4:54pm
I like, very much indeed!
"Snake tongue"

Scott Schmidt
May-19-2006, 5:23pm
George, congrats on the new Weber! #Bruce (and everyone else at Weber!) are some of the nicest people to work with and they build a great mandolin to boot! #Those cedar tops are killer too! #Enjoy the new mando. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

BruceKap
May-19-2006, 5:42pm
Talk about meeting your maker!

Nice looking instrument--I am sure it plays great.

Baron Collins-Hill
May-19-2006, 5:52pm
great looking instrument, and great pictures too.

baron

Fliss
May-19-2006, 6:09pm
That looks beautiful, congratulations on having something really special! I love the Celtic knot, too.

Fliss

Lane Pryce
May-19-2006, 6:25pm
That is a great looking mandolin. The snakehead with the F body is outstanding. They really compliment eachother. Lp