PDA

View Full Version : Michael Kelly A-O....any opinions?

JPL
May-18-2006, 3:10pm
Saving up for my next mando purchase. Now that I've determined that Elderly will set instruments up for leftys, that A-style with the oval hole is looking promising. I'm looking for something a little off the beaten path, and I'm interested in styles like blues and Celtic where O-holes seem more commonplace.

Anyone played the Kelly A-O, or heard anything about it one way or the other?

Celtic Saguaro
May-18-2006, 6:45pm
I own one. I don't think, they are available any more new. #Mine is a couple of years old. I got it from Elderly and it was set up fine. #It still plays okay and sounds fine, but I don't know for how long. The fret board is beginning to look like a roller coaster. #The top under the fret board has settled slightly and the neck itself is slightly bowed. I doubt it's a common problem, but I'm guessing the MK A-styles have had more troubles than the F's.

If you are interested in that style, I'd suggest an Eastman 504, instead. #Very similar price, but it comes with a case.

John Flynn
May-18-2006, 10:08pm
I have played one of the MK F ovals and I was not impressed. If you need to buy new, I agree with the suggestion of an Eastman in the same price range. But there is a vintage Gibson A oval in the Classifieds for $500, plus a couple of even better ones for about $1,000 and a not-very-used Old Wave oval for $1,250. So no matter what your price range, there are better choices.

VictorLouis
May-19-2006, 10:00am
I'm not one to dump on MK. I've had four through my hands now, and still have two. I've had both their Legacy and A-model ovals. They both honked, right out of the box. The F needed a set-up, and the A-Oval did not.

I didn't sell off the F-style until I'd had the A-O to 'a/b' next to it for about a week. In short, the A had equal zing, with a just a bit less bling, than the F.

As with others here who tout the value inherent in A-bodies, that proved to be an example which proved their point. As long as you're buying from a dealer with an approval period, give one a shot.

cooper4205
May-19-2006, 12:33pm
the music store in town has one that i have played and i think that they sound great. it had a really deep sound which suprised me but the high notes still had a sweet sound. i think they are better than any of the michael kelly F models that i have played. it's well worth $400 for sure.

JPL
May-21-2006, 1:18pm
Thanks for your comments. I had somehow overlooked those Eastmans...I will have to investigate them further.

Professor PT
May-21-2006, 4:15pm
I recently played both oval holed MK's and Eastmans: the Eastman wins hands down for both tone and workmanship. I'd love to buy an oval, but I think I'd end up in divorce court.

DryBones
May-21-2006, 5:35pm
JPL... you a lefty? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

JPL
May-23-2006, 5:47am
'Fraid so.

For me, it's been a blessing. Keeps me from buying too many instruments...

DryBones
May-24-2006, 9:36pm
Good luck with any MK mandolin...never again for me with their lefty products. PM if you are interested in my story and the real facts