PDA

View Full Version : CF Martin Koa

Phuzz
May-17-2006, 4:39pm
Hi all,

My grandfather left me his mandolin. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what it's worth.

After some research I've figured out these stats:

1928 CF Martin All Koa Serial# AK-14911 in good condition.

Phuzz
May-17-2006, 4:40pm
Sry the pic didn't load last post

Jim M.
May-17-2006, 5:09pm
Those are sweet mandolins, for sure. Gruhns has one for $1450, but it's been there for awhile, so I'd say that's the top of the price range at best. I've seen them go for $1100.

Ken Sager
May-17-2006, 5:17pm
Nice. The koa's are much more rare, so worth every bit of Jim's suggested value. Late 20's mahog models can go for nearly that as well, rosewood B's for $1200-1400, so I'd say $1100 is the VERY low end for koa. You just don't see the koa Martins come up for sale that often.

Of course I can't offer any data to substantiate that, I'm working from memory.

Nathan Sanders
May-17-2006, 5:44pm
Very nice. I'd agree with the rest about the rarity and worth of the koa. I'm sure, though, it holds a great deal of sentimental value as well.

JGWoods
May-17-2006, 6:18pm
I used to keep an eye out for the bent tops- Martins and the like. I have an all koa SS Stewart that is 80-90% the same as the Martin in your picture, likely made by Regal and probably worth a little less.
I paid $700 for it, and it came with a pristine 20s case.

While your mandolin may be worth all of $1100-$1400 there's not many buyers out there for them so I see the same ones for sale now that I saw last year- meaning? maybe the price is too high...?

If you decide to sell it folks will offer $500 hoping you will take it, and somewhere above $800 you will run out of buyers- or you'll get lucky and find one to pay over $1000.

It may be a fine example, without the somewhat common wave in the top and high action- or shaved bridge to compensate- and they should sell for more than they do, but It's a buyers market it seems and they don't sell well.

Phuzz
May-17-2006, 8:59pm
Thanks guys.:D It's a big help. It was a tough desision to part with it, but having a hard time. I don't play so I figured it would be a better memorial to him to have someone that could make it sing own it. Someone that would know how to care for it and apperciate it.

JEStanek
May-17-2006, 9:50pm
There are several people who may be able to offer an estimate. #Perhaps Elderly from the front page, Vintage Instruments in Philadelphia offers an appraisal service too.
Edit: Pros who own shops and sell these may provide you with an estimate for a nominal fee... The numbers quoted above seem consistant with what I've seen for Martins and Koa Martins.

Jamie

May-18-2006, 9:41pm
I've seen them go for as low as $900.00 and as high as $1300.00 on that well known auction site. I've seen them listed for a lot higher and never get any bids. If you want to find out what the market value is put it on that well known auction site with a $2000.00 reserve (and pray that it makes the reserve, it won't). List it and then relist it. That will show you what it's worth. Do another relist with the reserve a bit below that line. Start the bidding about $400.00 and don't be surprised at what happens in the last 50 seconds of the auction. My final advice is to NOT get it appraised at that well known vintage dealer in Nashville. If you do expect to be disappointed when the bidding doesn't hit half his appraisal. By the way, according to the serial number it was made in 1931. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif

DryBones
May-18-2006, 10:49pm
If and when you decide to sell it please run it on the classifieds here first before putting it on the big auction site. There are a lot of mandolin lovin' pickers on here that will make a fair deal with you I am sure.

cgwilsonjr
May-19-2006, 3:18pm
The 2006 Vintage price guide list an "excellent" condition Martin A (Koa) from that era at between 1,100 and 1,400.
BTW I have an old magohany Martin A and they are very good instruments if your a non-bluegrasser.