PDA

View Full Version : Bridges

Lane Pryce
Apr-10-2004, 9:19am
I am considering a bridge saddle with either bone or fossilized ivory top. Any of you pickers have experience with both? Does anyone know of a vendor for the bone saddle tops? I have an older Gibson A that has a real woody tone but its a bit short in the volume and chop catagories. I hope I can improve both with the addition of a pearle nut and a different bridge configuration. Thanks in advance. Lp

grafik-obsessions
Apr-11-2004, 10:41pm
you might try tourtellotte mandolins he came up with an intriguing product for twenty dollars.

Michael Lewis
Apr-12-2004, 12:05am
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I don't think you are going to change a Gibson A model into a bluegrass mandolin with a new saddle or even a whole bridge. For that percussive chop you need an F hole mandolin. Yeah, I know, there are some exceptions out there, but a good rule of thumb is you need F holes for that chop.

Lane Pryce
Apr-12-2004, 12:47pm
It has F holes. Lp

Frank Russell
Apr-13-2004, 9:47am
JLP - I have switched from bone to fossilized walrus ivory nuts, and on one mando to an ivory-topped bridge, from Kurt Gisclair. Not only am I getting more volume, but clearer tone and better chop. Try one of his Cambera wood/walrus ivory bridge saddles, they are excellent. Kurt is also super to deal with, prompt and helpful. I highly recommend his products, they have taken my A9 and F9 to much higher levels of performance. Frank