PDA

View Full Version : exploring new types of music

dobroitis
May-14-2006, 9:17am
Hey all, I just got my m-4 mid mo and I love it. I am not much of a bluegrass fan, and I am really interested in more of a "new acoustic" kind of music. I really enjoy bands like nickel creek, new grass revival, and three ring circle. Also stuff like Strenth in Numbers the telluride sessions. Just wondered if anyone liked this kind of music over bluegrass.

skyblue
May-14-2006, 11:57am
I find labels kind of silly when it comes to distinctions
between newgrass, new acoustic, jamgrass, bluegrass. The
groups that you have mentioned are musicians who have both
stretched and blurred the musical boundaries and categories
and then we label them a new category.

I listen to many types of acoustic music and I take what I
like from each. Bill Monroe who developed bluegrass was kind of radical in his day because he borrowed from blues
and old time and he jammed with each musician in his group.
So too the groups you mentioned borrow from diverse influences and usually end up pissing off the purists.

For me music is evolution and change. Even when we play a
traditional fiddle tune you can add new influences to your
interpretation of the tune.

Boomerts
May-14-2006, 1:38pm
Dont forget Rockgrass! "Hayseed Dixie" will be coming back from Europe soon. The are coming into their own now. Not so many rock cover songs.

SternART
May-14-2006, 2:09pm
Well said....skyblue......it is all music. That said I prefer the instruments stuff....be it fiddle tunes, BG, New Acoustic or Jazz.
But I like the best of anything & it is hard to beat a great BG Quartet harmonizing. For me it was an acquired taste though.......

Mattg
May-14-2006, 3:01pm
I went to a great little bluegrass fest at the DNote in Arvada CO last week. 3 different bands played world grass, straight up bluegrass, Dawg, newgrass etc. It all sounded fresh and was very entertaining. A great band called the Pagosa Hot Strings even put a Peter Framton cover to new blue grass whatever. It rocked. (google theyse guys). It's all good. I think what I look for is the musicality and skill of string musicians. There just happen to be alot of great musicians drift into bluegrass.

glauber
May-14-2006, 3:25pm
It probably goes without saying, but you should explore the catalog of David Grisman's Acoustic Disk (http://dawgnet.com/) label. I believe all or most of it is available on EMusic (http://www.emusic.com/), if you want to go that route, but if you explore the Acoustic Disk site, there are lots of free tracks for you to listen there.

glauber
May-14-2006, 3:27pm
I'm not sure if this is happening to everybody, but recently the links that i put in my posts are not showing up as links (i.e.: not underlined). So here they are in plain text:

Acoustic disk: http://dawgnet.com/
Emusic: http://www.emusic.com/

Dfyngravity
May-14-2006, 3:30pm
Check out OSFT (Old School Freight Train)! They are an amazing band. I have follwed them from day 1 and can't get enough of them. David Grisman just signed them to Acoustic Disc and they went on tour with him recently as his personal band. Check them out at www.osft.net. You won't be disappointed.

dobroitis
May-14-2006, 7:09pm
I find labels kind of silly when it comes to distinctions
between newgrass, new acoustic, jamgrass, bluegrass. The
groups that you have mentioned are musicians who have both
stretched and blurred the musical boundaries and categories
and then we label them a new category.

I listen to many types of acoustic music and I take what I
like from each. Bill Monroe who developed bluegrass was kind of radical in his day because he borrowed from blues
and old time and he jammed with each musician in his group.
So too the groups you mentioned borrow from diverse influences and usually end up pissing off the purists.

For me music is evolution and change. Even when we play a
traditional fiddle tune you can add new influences to your
interpretation of the tune.
I have no idea what the difference is between newgrass, jamgrass, and new acoustic music. I just wanted to cover the basics.

ira
May-14-2006, 7:35pm
railroadearth!!!!!!

skinny
May-15-2006, 7:27am
Railroad Earth,
I'll defintitely second that.

250sc
May-15-2006, 8:50am
I have to admit to not being much of a bluegrasser too but I like hearing everything accoustic.

Have you listened to much Mike Marshall? He alway has a fresh take on any music he's involved in. Psychograss, his collaborations with Chris Thile, the different Choro stuff. All worth listening to.

dobroitis
May-15-2006, 6:02pm
I am going to get mike/chris cd's and also the sam/david cd.

cooper4205
May-16-2006, 10:07am
check out yonder mountain string band or even leftover salmon, as well

skyblue
May-16-2006, 11:10am
check out:
Drew Emmitt Band
Sam Bush Band
John Cowan Band
Blue Highway
Mountain Heart
Matt Flinner
Psychograss

Just a few............

Michael H Geimer
May-16-2006, 11:31am
Hot Buttered Rum String Band

cooper4205
May-16-2006, 11:37am
hot buttered rum is awesome, check out meridian, too if you can find one of their cd's

Kool Keith
May-16-2006, 12:17pm
Dobroitis, how long have you been listening to accoustic music?

I ask because I was drawn into the genre by YMSB as part of the jamband scene. When I first heard Fleck's Bluegrass Sessions, I was blown away, but still not really into most bluegrass. But I gradually heard more of it over time, and eventually got hooked.

I still don't really enjoy listening to Bill Monroe, but my analogy is, just because someone likes rock'n'roll doesn't mean they like Elvis Presley.

You never know...one day you might find yourself wondering why it is that you're bobbing your head to Doc Watson.

Check out Noam Pikelny's "In the Maze".

dobroitis
May-16-2006, 3:23pm
About three years. It all started when I discovered my dad's new grass revival cd "friday night in america". I have flecks bluegrass sessions volume two, by the way. Good, but not as good as a lot of other stuff.

Michael H Geimer
May-16-2006, 5:01pm
" ... just because someone likes rock'n'roll doesn't mean they like Elvis Presley. "

That can work the other way around, too. When I 'unplugged' I wasn't looking to do anything groundbreaking, and I found Country Blues and Bluegrass much to my liking.

Still, I've never been able to get into the modern branches and off-shoots ... even after endless recommendations of "Oh you gotta hear it ... this one's great!"

Different strokes, not sure it has to do with how long one's been listening as much as why one listens.

Some people wear the latest fashions. Other people shop for vintage wearables. If the shoe fits ...

Kool Keith
May-16-2006, 6:11pm
Different strokes, not sure it has to do with how long one's been listening as much as why one listens.
No doubt. My point was just that sometimes music can be an acquired taste. I love music now that I couldn't have imagined even listening to 5 years ago.