PDA

View Full Version : string holder downer

LSimons
Apr-09-2004, 11:10am
Just thought I share a discovery I made last night while changing strings. For some time I have been looking for a simple gadget to anchor a new string (so it doesn't detach from the tail-piece hook) until I can get a bit of tension on it from the tuner. I found that a pop-cycle stick slid UNDER the 7 existing strings but OVER the string you are changing holds enough tension on the string to prevent unhooking. Thinning out one end of the stick makes it easy to slip it in where you want it, about between the 4th and 5 frets. Worked great! Sorry if this is an old idea, it is new to me.

Bruce Evans
Apr-09-2004, 11:12am
I just use a capo when I am changing strings. Any capo will do, even a guitar capo.

Ken Sager
Apr-09-2004, 11:26am
I use one of my thumbs and it seems to work well so far. I didn't even have to shave it any.

Best,
Ken

Kevin@bluegrassbrethren
Apr-09-2004, 3:03pm
I actually use an alligator clip when changing strings on a stamped type tailpiece. For a Price Style I use a very soft sponge under the hooks
MHO - YMMV:;):

misifus
Apr-15-2004, 12:29am
IF, I'm having trouble, I put a little piece of masking tape on the hooks to hold the string loop in place until I get tension on it.

_Raf

JGWoods
Apr-15-2004, 6:30pm
I use a thumb too- I have 10 and can spare 1 for the job.

best too
gw

Patrick Gunning
Apr-22-2004, 10:49pm
I just run the string along the gap between my thumb and forefinger, and hold it down with the finger, and this keeps the tension and keeps it down flat at the nut. This lets me hold the slack off the fretboard and get enough wraps to fill up the tuner.